9/23/2009 StF: "The Master at Arms"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

I'm really into the Zendikar Kor.  I'm really excited by the implication that there will be a Kor that can cause a creature to lose flying, as that's a very not white ability.  Of course, I'm going to bet that there isn't going to be one, despite Doug basically telling us there should be one.  Looking in the Orb of Insight there are 6 cards with the word "loses" (and six with "lose", but I'd be very surprised if it was "all creatures lose" or something like that) and, according to unofficial spoilers we've only seen 5 instances of "loses" so it's still possible.

In all honesty i'm a bit disappointed.  I was quite looking forward to the Kor as a not-quite-white weenie archetype; that were like previous white weenie decks but had more interesting tricks.  This fellow is just in line with all the other soldier lords, except he only boosts Kor and not Kor and soldiers, or all creaures you control.  He's pretty good but not really what i had hoped for.

But who knows, Zen isn't out yet.  Perhaps there will still be a few more surprises in store...

Trap Tutor?

NICE (see screenname).  Heh:-)

In all honesty i'm a bit disappointed.  I was quite looking forward to the Kor as a not-quite-white weenie archetype; that were like previous white weenie decks but had more interesting tricks.  This fellow is just in line with all the other soldier lords, except he only boosts Kor and not Kor and soldiers, or all creaures you control.  He's pretty good but not really what i had hoped for.

But who knows, Zen isn't out yet.  Perhaps there will still be a few more surprises in store...

While it is true that he only boosts Kor, he boosts them better than most lords do for their types.  Most lords only give +1/+1 to each creature of a type plus some other bonus.  Armament Master gives other Kor +2/+2 for only one equipment attached to him, that is 1 p/t higher than most lords (granted he gives no extra bonuses like first strike).  If you attach a second equipment to him, each other Kor gets +4/+4 so each other Kor you control is at least 5/5, making the only real weak link Armament Master himself.  This essentially is like the Leonin from Mirrodin (and no affinity to ruin things).  Plus, white is known for its weenies.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I'm really into the Zendikar Kor.  I'm really excited by the implication that there will be a Kor that can cause a creature to lose flying, as that's a very not white ability.  Of course, I'm going to bet that there isn't going to be one, despite Doug basically telling us there should be one.  Looking in the Orb of Insight there are 6 cards with the word "loses" (and six with "lose", but I'd be very surprised if it was "all creatures lose" or something like that) and, according to unofficial spoilers we've only seen 5 instances of "loses" so it's still possible.

I didn't see where you got that implication from, so I may be missing something important, but isn't it more likely that the Kor will have some way to temporarily gain flying? That way they can remain within white's slice of the pie and still catch airborne eels.   

I didn't see where you got that implication from, so I may be missing something important, but isn't it more likely that the Kor will have some way to temporarily gain flying? That way they can remain within white's slice of the pie and still catch airborne eels.   

Here's where I was getting it from:

Hunting the windrider eel is tricky business for people who don't themselves fly, but the kor have a secret advantage. As any skyfisher knows, a good line isn't just a symbol of a spiritual bond, but the perfect thing to snare an enemy or to hook a two-ton flying eel behind the gills.

Now, it would appear that they somehow use these hooks and lines instead to grant flying.  Which really doesn't make any sense.  I guess they hook onto pieces of land that are flying about?  But what if I summon one of those creatures somewhere and I'm not on Zendikar?  Anyway, I'm sure one could argue their way out of it, but I wanted to see the flavor trump the color pie for something like this.  I mean, who really cares if white gets one card that can take down a flier.  That's not going to end magic.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a few Kor get some green flying-hate; I think that occasional color pie bleeds keep the game fresh. I was just pointing out what I think is more likely to happen.

The flavor for flying Kor comes to my mind first as granted by the hooks. A lot of the art spoiled of Zendikar's landscape has me thinking there would be plenty of situations where there would be appropriately-placed rock to swing into a drake. Sure, it only works on Zendikar (and even then tenatively), but cards only need to work in the context of their home plane.

Boo! They're recreating the Little Bashers deck with an inferior tribe. Hiss!

Sign In to post comments