Death Touch vs Trample and indestructible

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

I was just wondering does trample still work with death touch

Also can an indestructible be destroyed by a death touch creature there have been arguments between my friends, since we are all new to this game and its format

Trample doesn't have any bearing on death touch, really. As long as a single, solitary point of deathtouched damage is dealt to a creature, it is destroyed.

Also can an indestructible be destroyed by a death touch creature there have been arguments between my friends, since we are all new to this game and its format

Indestructibility means just that--it can't be destroyed by effects that say "destroy." They can, however, be removed from the game or "exiled."

Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump

What exactly is your question?
The generic answer is that there is no interaction between Trample and Deathtouch at all.
If an attacker wants to assign Trample damage to the defending player, he must assign damage equal to their toughness to each blocker (minus damage already marked on them, and minus damage being assigned simultaneously from other sources). Whether or not the attacker has Deathtouch is completely irrelevant.

No.
If something is indestructible, it cannot be destroyed. Period. Deathtouch tries to destroy the creature, but since it can't be destroyed, it isn't.

DCI Lvl 2 Judge

can the indestructible be destroyed if i had power higher than its toughness?

can the indestructible be destroyed if i had power higher than its toughness?

No.
It's indestructible. It can't be destroyed. At all. By anything or for any reason. Period.

(It can still be sacrificed, and it will still be put in the graveyard if its toughness is reduced to 0, but it cannot be destroyed. Destruction in the game of Magic comes in the form of damage and of effects that use the word "destroy".)

DCI Lvl 2 Judge

I have been wondering about this as well.

When the rules changes were announced, it was said that when multiple blockers were assigned a death touch creature need only assign 1 damage to each blocker because deathtouch was becoming a static ability and 1 point would be considered lethal.

So what about trample? With trample you need to allocate lethal damage and then the rest can be assigned to the player.

So if I have a Stampeding Rhinoes equipped with a Gorgon Flail and attack with it, if it is blocked by a Centaur Courser, do I still have to assign 3 damage to the courser and the remaining 2 to my opponent or do I just get to assign 1 damage, which with the new rules would be lethal, and the remaining 4 to my opponent?

The only way an indestructible creature can be "destroyed" is by reducing its toughness to 0 via -/- effects.

From what I understand, the 1 damage from a creature with deathtouch is not considered lethal damage at all.  Rather, the deathtouch ability allows you to bypass the rules that says you have to assign lethal damage.

What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both the same. Is it farther to Chicago or by bus? Depends on whether you walk or take your lunch.

When the rules changes were announced, it was said that when multiple blockers were assigned a death touch creature need only assign 1 damage to each blocker because deathtouch was becoming a static ability and 1 point would be considered lethal.

Not quite.  Deathtouch does allow you to change how damage is assigned, but it does not what lethal damage means.

Your attacker still needs to assign lethal damage to all the blockers before it can assign any to the defending player.

So what about trample? With trample you need to allocate lethal damage and then the rest can be assigned to the player.

So if I have a Stampeding Rhinoes equipped with a Gorgon Flail and attack with it, if it is blocked by a Centaur Courser, do I still have to assign 3 damage to the courser and the remaining 2 to my opponent or do I just get to assign 1 damage, which with the new rules would be lethal, and the remaining 4 to my opponent?

Word to the wise: Asking the same question as a previous poster will typically get you the same answer.

Deathtouch does not allow you to get around the requirement of assigning lethal damage to each blocker before you can Trample any over, nor does it change the definition of "lethal damage". Just like posts 2 and 3 say.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

What I am trying to say is: with multiple creatures blocking one with deathtouch and trample, you may assign only one damage to each, because the deathtouch ability lets you ignore the the ordering of blockers and assign combat damage however you want, but it does not override trample's requirements for assigning lethal damage.  If you want to hit the opponent, you have to assign full lethal damage to each creature.

What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both the same. Is it farther to Chicago or by bus? Depends on whether you walk or take your lunch.

I just went and re-read the announcement here:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I realize now that they didn't say that the reason a deathtouch creature gets to allocate damage to multiple blockers differently is because it has become a static ability. So it makes more sense now that you still have to trample the same way even with deathtouch.

The explanation for this was paper thin though. I mean basically they seemed to be saying that deathtouch creatures get to assign damage differently because "they should". When really it is something that I think should be in the reminder text of deathtouch in the future. They could make it a "feature" of deathtouch rather than a workaround.

When really it is something that I think should be in the reminder text of deathtouch in the future. 

What is it you feel should be in the reminder text of deathtouch that isn't already there?

(Creatures dealt damage by this creature are destroyed. You can divide this creature's combat damage among any of the creatures blocking or blocked by it.)

Are you saying they should add something about trample, even though most creatures with deathtouch don't have trample?

Missed that completely.

My apologies.

Sign In to post comments