Mindbreak Trap

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I have a question concerning Mindbreak Trap from the upcoming Zen set.  I think I know how it works, but I want to make sure as my friend and I are disagreeing on how effective this card can be.

How does it work in conjunction with the stack?  If an opponent plays three creatures, then the stack resolves, does this card still come into play for free?  Or is this card non dependent on the stack?

Mindbreak can be played for its mana cost, but if 3 spells have been cast by an opponent (whether they've resolved yet doesn't matter) it can be played for a mana cost of (0).

Not 100% sure whether 3 spells by any opponent releases the (0) casting cost or whether all 3 spells have to be cast by a single opponent, but I suspect it is the latter.

"If an opponent cast 3 or more spells this turn, you may pay (0) rather than paying Mindbreak Trap's mana cost."

My reasoning is that the if condition refers to an opponent who has done X where X is cast 3+ spells. If it were the former it would be worded "If 3 or more spells have been cast by opponents..."

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Thanks, that's what I thought.  My friend claims though once the 3 spells resolve, they are no longer spells, instead permanents, therefore they cannot be exiled because the card says exile any number of target spells...

Thanks, that's what I thought.  My friend claims though once the 3 spells resolve, they are no longer spells, instead permanents, therefore they cannot be exiled because the card says exile any number of target spells...

your friend is correct, once they resolve they can't be targeted, but if your opponent casts a spell, cascades into casting another, you counter his initial spell, he responds countering your counter, then you can drop the Trap for free targetting his three spells. If he has no answer his 3 spells get exiled by Trap and your counter fizzles.

or say your friend casts one creature and it resolves, then he casts another creature and it resolves and then he casts a third creature, you can play Mindbreak Trap for free in response and exile his third creature.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

Ok the last thing you said made things the most clear I think.  

But generally, this card will do the most damage against cascade and storm, correct?

So really this card is only good against cascade and storm?

or really big counter wars or a free counter if the opponent plays a bunch of spells.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

So really this card is only good against cascade and storm?

That is where it is most effective. I'd recommend visiting the Card Strategies and Combos forum if you want to find peoples thoughts about how good it is.

OK thanks guys, I will start a new thread over there.