Super Mario World! [Official Contest Thread]

172 posts / 0 new
Last post

Super Mario World!

Photobucket

Goal:
To be the last Mario standing, and use your powers to take down Bowser and free Princess Peach, who still won't acknowledge you!

Rules:
This contest has 12 players, and each player will start with a powerup. This powerup serves two purposes. One, it gives you a restriction on the cards you can make. Two, it protects you from being eliminated if you do poorly.

Each round will have a criteria. You must then make a card that follows that criteria AND all the restrictions from your powerups. I will rank the submissions from top to bottom, and the bottom two contestants will take a hit. If you have a powerup, you are saved from the hit, but you lose your powerup (and therefore the associated restriction). However, if you have none, you will be eliminated from the contest.

Earning More Powerups:

Each round, the person who comes in first hits the block.jpg, which gets them a new powerup chosen at random from the ones they don't have. This gives them another safeguard against elimination, but also another restriction to follow. Also, there will be a Hidden Criteria throughout the game. If a contestant's card matches the hidden criteria, they also hit the block.jpg, and the hidden criteria changes

Possible Powerups:
1up
1-Up Mushroom: Bestows the powers of life.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be White.

Freeze Flower
Freeze Flower: Bestows the powers of frost.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be Blue.

Poison Mushroom
Poison Mushroom: Bestows the power of death.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be Black.

Fire Flower
Fire Flower: Bestows the power of fire.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be Red.

Bee
Bee Mushroom: Bestows the power of nature.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be Green.

Hammer
Hammer Bros. Suit: Lets you impersonate an enemy.
RESTRICTON: Your submission must have the name of an already-printed Magic card. (Pretend the original did not exist)

Starman
Starman: Grants temporarily invincibility.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be more than one color.

POW
POW Block: Attacks every enemy.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be designed with multiplayer in mind.

Super
Super Mushroom: Increases size.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must have converted mana cost 4 or greater.

Boo
Boo Mushroom: Turns you into Boo Mario.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must deal with the graveyard in some way.

Tanooki
Tanooki Suit: Grants you the powers of a Tanooki.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be a creature card.

Feather
Feather: Grants quick movement and flight.
RESTRICTION: Your submission must be an instant or have flash.

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

If you are not one of these 12 contestants, please do not post cards in this thread. You may post comments and such if you wish.

Competing Marios and Powerups:

• Cgalcic (Bee Mushroom)

• WhitePhantom (Hammer Bros. Suit)

• Gardevior (Freeze Flower)

• ubergeek (Poison Mushroom)

• Keegan__ (POW Block)

• Captan_Lunch (Starman)

• Parsath (Tanooki Suit)

• Ragnarokio (Super Mushroom)

• XJacobX (Fire Flower)

• Mown (Boo Mushroom)

• Dr_Draco (Feather)

• Callix (1-Up Mushroom)

Koopa Food:

• Nobody (yet!)

Round 1
Invincibility

Create a card that deals with Protection.

The target end date for this round is Saturday Sept 26. I will end it early if everyone submits earlier, or keep it open if many people have not submitted by then, as needed.

Sweet, sweet green. I find I arbitrarily design mostly green cards anyway! Card to come.

White? Sweet. As above, I tend to design white cards anyway.

Kaleidoscopic Ward   1WW
Enchantment - Aura
Flash, Enchant creature.
W: Enchanted creature gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn. This effect doesn't remove Kaleidoscopic Ward.
A single warrior, sheathed in shimmering light, is the last sight of many a trespasser.

EDIT: Also, if someone managed to get all the powerups, they'd need to design a five-color creature with flash that interacts with graveyards, plays well in multiplayer, and uses the name of an existing card. (Yes, CMC 4 or more, but 5 colors pretty much takes care of that). Frankly, that seems a bit easy for all of the powerups.

Saviour of the YMtC Mushroom Kingdom (A Kavu Overlord™ contest)! Avatars (yes, both of them) are Justin from El Goonish Shive. Check it out at www.egscomics.com "I think you just wrote my epitaph" -Detektor

Oh boy, limited to creatures. This should be interesting. Card later.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/Parsath/RedSK.png)

Into the Heavens 1W
Instant
Target creature gets flying and protection from a color of your choosing until the end of turn.

Co-Author of Hamaguan and Aleithian Dwarves

Prismatic Protector - 6
Artifact Creature
Other creatures you control have protection from all colours Prismatic Protector has.
Prismatic Protector has protection from each colour it doesn't have.
Sacrifice a creature: Prismatic Protector gains all the colours of that creature.
3/3

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Sphere of Adaption 3WW
Enchantment
You have protection from cards with the same name as a card in a graveyard.
With your every moment, it changes.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

whoops wrong forum.

[21:07] [Ragnarokio] there might be more than 30 zebras after all Rag: regular mafia should be practice for white flag

Shameless Bump.

Whoops, forgot about this.

Primalwood Brawler 1RG
Creature - Human Barbarian
Double Strike, protection from non-creatures.
"My spells bounce harmless off the armor of his rage, all my enchantments and relics do nothing to slow his charge. Even my summoned servants were little use as fodder to stop him. It seems I must get my hands dirty this time." - Grelnt, Arch Spellsword
2/2

Wanted to do something unusual, and given the fact that I could think of proper wording/flavor for a creature that removed protection abilities without getting a headache, I figured this was a decent alternative.

I'm reposting as a friendly reminder to Kavu that I haven't forgotten about my card. I've been incredibly bogged down with school this week, but I will assuredly have my card up by the deadline.

Finally.  You have no idea how hard it is to have black cards use protection.

Necrotic Shieldmage  2WB
Creature - Vampire Shaman {U}
Lifelink
~ has protection from cards that share a name with a card in any player's graveyard.
3/2 

I'm not sure about the wording, either.   

Edit:  Crap.  Did not notice sphere of Adaption.

*Gets back to work*

Worldwaker 1G
Creature - Bear Druid
Protection from lands
2: Target land becomes a 2/2 colorless Elemental creature until end of turn. It's still a land. Any player may play this ability.
2/2

Hmm, not as many as I would have liked, and on the first round... I'll give everyone some more time, but I would ask that contestants that haven't entered yet please post saying that you will soon (or actually post a submission :P). I won't hesitate to get replacements, but I'll give y'all a chance first.

My access is down to about once a week, but I haven't forgotten about this.

Mirthfull Magician - 2U
Creature - Wizard
Protection from Rabbits
When ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature becomes a 1/1 white Rabbit.
1/1

Eternal Witness WU2
Enchantment- Aura

Enchant creature, flash
Enchanted creature is 0/1 and has protection from everything.
To be chosen as a Witness is to be forgotten. Forever.

(How do you make it stop double-spacing? It's driving me CRAZY.)

Edit: Thanks Kavu

Press Shift+Enter instead of just Enter to get a single line instead of a new paragraph.

Okay, we're waiting on Gardevior, Keegan__, and XJacobX. I'll update my sig to try and attract attention, but I will replace these guys soon. Sorry about the huge waits, everyone! I really want to make this not die.

Bump, and changing my sucky card.

Aural Catalyzer - 1WU
Creature - Human Scientist
Spells that a permanent would have protection from cost 1 less to play.
1/2

Any chance of necro'ing this contest?

Thought I should mention I'm still checking this, if it does get back up.

Saviour of the YMtC Mushroom Kingdom (A Kavu Overlord™ contest)! Avatars (yes, both of them) are Justin from El Goonish Shive. Check it out at www.egscomics.com "I think you just wrote my epitaph" -Detektor

I'm still lurking as well. You know Kavu, in a contest like this, where contestants will be eliminated anyway, I find it's a bit silly to wait for everyone or try to replace anyone that doesn't post. Yes, that make the contest exponentially less fun, but it's more fun than a contest that doesn't go anywhere. I suggest just knocking a power-up off of people that don't post and getting along with the contest. If they decide to show up next round, great, they'll just be a bit behind the curb. If not, then they're eliminated, better off without the dead weight.

Were this a long contest that required a full set of contestants at all times (like Cyros's Monopoly game (shame that one fell apart, I was winning too)), I'd understand waiting. But in a contest like this, where contestants get eliminated anyway, no point waiting around.

I, too, am still lurking.

Sadly, I have found little inspiration.  Black protection is hard.

You can go end the round, and I'll submit the card I had posted.  If you want to accuse me of copying somebody else's idea, that's fine.  I won't complain.  Because he called it first, and I really don't think I'll be able to come up with another one.

Oh, wow.

I did not forget about this contest, but I did get a little behind on schoolwork (taken care of now) which caused me to neglect it. Also, I had thought that no one really cared about it any more (partially as carry-over from no one caring about my set /shameless plug). However, it is my obligation as a contest holder to make this work, and work it will!

The first three people (not already in this contest) to submit a card for Freeze Flower, POW Block, and Fire Flower will take that spot in this contest and become a contestant. Any spots not claimed will recieve a hit, and we will move on to the next round. This free-entry period will end when I mark this round, which will be in about 5 hours, give or take. Promise!

Okay! The Spot-grab portion is over! If you want in, stay tuned. I'll probably do it again.

The moment some of you are probably waiting for! First, comments:

* Cgalcic (Bee Mushroom)

Comments: I really like the equal-but-not of the ability here. The fact that it can also fight and kill the opponent's lands means it is the right size. I might have costed it a tad bit higher, but that's just fiddly details. The type line is evocative, but it needs some solid flavor text to be really killer. Overall, I like this card.

* WhitePhantom (Hammer Bros. Suit)

Comments: Great use of restriction. This card absolutely oozes flavor. The threat remover/unkillable defender duality is nice too, but I think it's probably overcosted for use as removal.

* ubergeek (Poison Mushroom)

What this card needed was a piece of flavor text that ties it all together. It has some semblance of flavor, but nothing really to explain why it is a WB Vampire, and why the protection works like it does. From a purely mechanical standpoint, the card is okay, but the lack of a cohesive flavor realy hurts this.

* Captan_Lunch (Starman)

Too bad your first card didn't match your restriction, I kinda liked it. As for Aural Catalyzer, it's mechanically interesting. I do wonder if there are some corner cases that don't work intuitively (i.e. A protection from creatures guy not reducing creature spells due to not having protection from the spell, but rather the permanent once it's in play). The flavor, however, is lacking. "Aural" makes me think auras, yet he is a scientist (which makes me think non-magical stuff).

* Parsath (Tanooki Suit)

Ooh, me likey. It's a very efficient RG beater, but considering the current power trend, certainly not overpowered. The protection ability is very nice, and completes the (already awesome) flavor of the card.

* Ragnarokio (Super Mushroom)

Sidenote: A creature doesn't "have" colors, it "is" colors. Small wording aside, Johnny-Kavu likes this. It's either a protected creature, or a big fat target. I will say, though, that it has a pretty generic flavor.

* Mown (Boo Mushroom)

This is one of those interesting cards that is pretty bad in limited, but gets much better in constructed. I can't comment on the cost, because I really don't know just how good it is/could be. The flavor is pretty good, too (although you don't seem to have too much competition there. :P)

* Dr_Draco (Feather)

"...color of your choice..." Pretty bare-bones in terms of ingenuity, but the simplicity of the mechanics and the flavor make it a good common or Core Set card. Could be better, could be worse.

* Callix (1-Up Mushroom)

All together, I'd say better-than-average. I like the Flash, it makes this more than just a Flickering Ward thing. The flavor text is a little too... how should I say... straight-forward? for my tastes. However, decent flavor text is better than none!

* Gardevior (Freeze Flower)
    * Keegan__ (POW Block)
    * XJacobX (Fire Flower)

No card.

Now, Ranking time!

1. Parsath's Primalwood Brawler

2. Cgalcic's Worldwaker

3. WhitePhantom's Eternal Witness

4. Callix's Kaleidoscopic Ward

5. Mown's Sphere of Adaption

6. Ragnarokio's Prismatic Protector

7. Dr_Draco's Into the Heavens

8. Captan_Lunch's Aural Catalyzer

9. ubergeek's Necrotic Shieldmage

Captan_Lunch and ubergeek, the bottom two, each eat a koopa shell to the face and lose their powerups. Also, the Freeze Flower, POW Block, and Fire Flower slots take a hit when the screen moves too far past them and become open, unrestricted slots. I will attempt another slot giveaway sometime in the future.

Parsath sucessfully reaches the first castle. The Toad there isn't particularly helpful, but hands over a block.jpg, which contains the powerup Boo Mushroom!

Round 2 will probably be up sometime tomorrow.

So, I take it no-one got the hidden criteria? :3

Unless you said so in his/her grading.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

On the one hand: Awesome, power-up! On the other, my next card will have to be a creature that deals with the graveyard. This should be... interesting.

I think the flavor text was supposed to be: "He watched silently as the carnage teared across the battlefield, vowing not to make the same mistake."

As for why it's white?  You're absolutely right about that one.  There wasn't any flavor behind it at all.  I guess I needed that hit.

*prepares for round 2*

So, I take it no-one got the hidden criteria? :3

Unless you said so in his/her grading.

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that. Nope, no one got it, so it stays in play for this round!

Round 2
2-Underwater.jpg

Create a card that could fit in an underwater themed or flavored set.

Round ends... uhh... when most people have a submission in, or when it has gone on too long. I won't close it without giving warning, but I don't have a strict target end date.

Competing Marios and Powerups:

• Parsath (Tanooki Suit, Boo Mushroom)

• Cgalcic (Bee Mushroom)

• WhitePhantom (Hammer Bros. Suit)

• Ragnarokio (Super Mushroom)

• Mown (Boo Mushroom)

• Dr_Draco (Feather)

• Callix (1-Up Mushroom)

• Captan_Lunch (-)

• ubergeek (-)

• --- (-)

• --- (-)

• --- (-)

Koopa Food:

• Nobody

Waves of Erosion 3WW
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a tide counter on each other artifact and enchantment.
Whenever an artifact or enchantment has more tide counters on it than its converted mana cost, its controller sacrifices it.
That which does not grow shall wear away.

Intended to be part of a cycle of enchantments, one of each color.

*whew* Just missed that koopa shell, lol.

Lurking in the Depths 2UU
Enchantment
As long as an opponent controls an Island, ~ has flash.
Blue creatures you control get +1/+1 for each Island opponents control.
Whenever you control no Islands, destroy ~.

Co-Author of Hamaguan and Aleithian Dwarves

Ambush Crocodile - 3UGB
Creature - Crocodile
Flash, Shroud, Haste
When Ambush Crocodile comes into play tap target creature.
T: Destroy target tapped creature with converted mana cost less than Ambush Crocodiles Power, Ambush Crocodile looses Shroud until end of turn.
Whenever a creature is put into the graveyard from play put a +1/1 counter on Ambush Crocodile.
4/2 

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Too bad your first card didn't match your restriction, I kinda liked it. As for Aural Catalyzer, it's mechanically interesting. I do wonder if there are some corner cases that don't work intuitively (i.e. A protection from creatures guy not reducing creature spells due to not having protection from the spell, but rather the permanent once it's in play). The flavor, however, is lacking. "Aural" makes me think auras, yet he is a scientist (which makes me think non-magical stuff).

Wow, quite astute. Little to argue, my thoughts exactly.

I apologize for the "Aural" faux pas, I knew better. It was bottom-up, and I had a heck of a time justifying the mech flavorly. I just couldn't find the words to precisely express the mad science trope I was trying to convey, and time pressure got the better of my judgment.
But anyway, I'm pretty sure that a Beloved Chaplain would indeed reduce creature spells.

702.14a
Protection is a static ability, written "Protection from [quality]." This quality is usually a color (as in "protection from black") but can be any characteristic value. If the quality happens to be a card name, it is treated as such only if the protection ability specifies that the quality is a name. If the quality is a card type, subtype, or supertype, the ability applies to sources that are permanents with that card type, subtype, or supertype and to any sources not on the battlefield that are of that card type, subtype, or supertype. This is an exception to rule 109.2.

Jesus, this is a hard criteria. I keep thinking Waterworld (Yes, that subpar movie with Kevin Costner). I  was going to do something along those lines. I was also thinking of the challenges in representing the 5 land types underwater. For now though, I'll work on something more generic.

Rogue Wave - 2UU
Instant

Put an 8/8 blue Wave creature token with defender into play. Sacrifice it at end of turn.
"Out of the horizon; fast and alone. A hundred foot face of good ocean gone wrong."
—Mariner's Rhyme

Seafloor Salvager 1UU
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Seafloor Salvager is unblockable.
1U, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Draw a card.
Many dangers lurk deep beneath the waves, but the treasures discovered are well worth the risk.
2/2

Woah, this contest is still going on!? Card to come.

Scent of Blood  4RR
Instant
If two or more creatures that were dealt damage this turn were put into the graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay RR instead of paying ~'s mana cost.
Untap all creatures you control.  After this, there is an additional combat phase.
You may cast this spell only during your combat phase.
"A shark can smell a drop of blood from a mile away.  If their blood is their Master's and aided by your magic, who knows how many will answer the call?"
-Ed'Rashekaresket the Pale Slayer

I don't remember the exact quote.  I just felt that something from Deep Wizardry would be appropriate here.

Also, it's not a trap because it doesn't have trap flavor, it's not Zendikar themed, and the trigger isn't something that the opponent falls into.

Probably not my place, but... bump.
I hope this is still going, but we seem to be losing people quite quickly.

i hope its still going to, i think the slackness might be because there are no due dates, people figure they can always do it tommorow until they eventually forget, it might not be that though.