Hypergenesis Combo deck

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi! This is my prototype of the primer of Hypergenesis combo, as I've never made one before, I don't know how to make dividers, or drop-down sections. In that vein, if anyone has any tips on making this primer better, please let me know!

The combo:

The Hypergenesis combo is one of two main-stream decks out there considered tournament viable--the other being the formerly type-two Seismic Swans combo deck--to hit the scene since the (what some consider broken) cascade mechanic was introduced, thanks to the Shard of Alara block. The combo works as follows:

1. Power out Ardent Plea, Demonic Dread, or Violent Outburst.

2. Cascade into the only card possible--Hypergenesis.

3. Vomit your hand onto the battlefield, which will almost always consist of huge dudes, or things that help you win (Wound Reflection, for example).

4. Win.

The card choices:

There are many commonly accepted card choices in Hypergenesis decks--this is what many people consider as the commonly accepted decklist:

4x Magister Sphinx (WILL win games when its put into play)

4x Hellkite Overlord (lots of hasty damage)

4x Bogardan Hellkite (deals 5 damage at least)

2x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund (2x because its legendary, hasty damage)

2x Akroma, Angel of Wrath (2x because its legendary, hasty damage)

2x Angel of Despair (kill off problem cards, like lands)

3x Hypergenesis (the main combo piece)

4x Violent Outburst (cascade piece)

4x Ardent Plea (cascade piece)

2x Demonic Dread (2x because a creature has to be in play to use it, which won't always be the case, cascade piece)

4x Seething Song (the best mana accel card for the deck--allows for turn 2 or 3 wins)

4x Simian Spirit Guide (better than Rite of Flame in this deck, as you can't cascade into it--allows for turn 2 or 3 wins)

2x Wipe Away (this card is 100% needed--EoT against counterspell decks you bounce their most needed permanent, like a land, or in fact, against any deck with a problem card when you want to go off)

2x Shriekmaw (deals with Ethersworn Canonist and Meddling Mage)

2x Gemstone Mine (free mana acceleration)

4x Forbidden Orchard (makes any colored mana)

4x Gemstone Mine (makes any colored mana)

2x Pillar of the Paruns (makes any colored mana; 2x because it can't play Seething Song, hardcast Hypergenesis, play Wipe Away, or play a few of the sideboard cards)

2x Reflecting Pool (makes any colored mana)

4x Tendo Ice Bridge (makes any colored mana)

Other maindeck choices:

Wound Reflection

Progenitus

Darksteel Colossus

Serum Powder

Rorix Bladewing

Inkwell Leviathan

Ingot Chewer

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Pestermite Combo

Bubble Hulk Combo

Kokusho

Broodmate Dragon

Empyrial Archangel

Simic Sky Swallower

Perplex

My personal thoughts are the only cards above that are truly possibly useful are Serum Powder, Rorix Bladewing, Ingot Chewer, Kokusho, Empyrial Archangel, and Perplex. If I were to remake the decklist above, the changes would be:

-2 Angel of Despair

-2 Shriekmaw

-2 Gemstone Mine

+4 Kokusho

+2 Perplex

Onto the sideboard! There have been a plethora of sideboard cards chosen and tested by the masses. These are the sideboard cards seen thus far:

Toils of Night and Day (tap down needed mana against counterspell decks)

Rift Bolt (suspend early to kill a problem creature)

Ingot Chewer (destroy a hindering artifact, such as Ethersworn Canonist, or whatnot)

Shriekmaw (kill a problem creature; the fear is also helpful)

Angel of Despair (destroy a problem card...such as a land :P)

Gemstone Cavern (board in on the draw)

Malfegor (great in the mirror)

Dosan, the Falling Leaf (vs. counterspell decks)

Krosan Grip (vs. problem artifacts)

Wipe Away (bounce a land or whatnot against a counterspell deck)

Volcanic Fallout (make Spellstutter Sprite useless, kill a Sower of Temptation--anything like that)

Akroma, Angel of Fury (vs. blue decks)

Hypergenesis (some decks run an extra few in their sideboard in order to overload counterspell decks by                         suspending one or two, and then cascading into another)

Firespout (sweep the board of problem creatures)

Electrolyze (kill a problem creature, and cantrip while you're at it; you could also deal that last few                              damage with it)

My proposed sideboard:

4x Toils of Night and Day

2x Wipe Away

2x Malfegor

3x Dosan

3x Ingot Chewer

2x Shriekmaw

Hypergenesis Combo deck isn't just a load of hot air! It has placed in the top 8 of many tournaments thus far. For example:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/events.as... 

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/events.as... www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/events.as...

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/events.as...

Thanks for listening!

Most people agree that hypergenesis, kind of is hot air, actually.  It's so easy to disrupt.  It top 8'd a couple times when people weren't ready for it, but a single silence, canonist, chalice, rule of law, or trickbind basically beats it.  In addition, seething song in your MD isn't really that optimal.  It's definitely not the best mana accel for the deck.  First of all, to play it you must already have 3 mana in your pool which is just when you should be cascading.  Second, going five red isn't going to help you into a cascade spell, so it's only good to ramp into a hellkite or something.

Cascade is hardly broken, and there are several other viable combo decks out there, namely Dredge and Dragonstorm.

hypergenesis cascade is horrible. those events that it top 8'd were flukes. a single chalice of the void set at 0 and your dead. even if you have some response for it, chalice will slow you down enough for any decent deck to be on the verge of winning

I'll disagree with the naysayers, simply because a lot of the popular decks I've been playing against don't have maindeck answers to a turn-two or turn-three Hypergenesis.  So I think it's viable.  Not the best deck out there, for sure, but viable.

I will say, though, that Seething Song doesn't look like the best acceleration for this deck.  The various Borderposts seem much better.  They're more likely to get the color of mana you need to cast Violent Outburst or Ardent Plea.  If you play turn one land, Borderpost, turn two land, Simian Spirit Guide, cascade spell, that's rather likely to win you the game against anything not running counterspells.  (Which is, say, 75% of the field.)  Granted, your chances go down when you factor in disruption in the form of discard (which is going to be present, I've no doubt) and artifact hate (which everyone and their dog is running against the ridiculousness that is Affinity), but even so, I think the deck can work in the hands of a better player than myself.

I'll disagree with the naysayers, simply because a lot of the popular decks I've been playing against don't have maindeck answers to a turn-two or turn-three Hypergenesis.  So I think it's viable.  Not the best deck out there, for sure, but viable.

I will say, though, that Seething Song doesn't look like the best acceleration for this deck.  The various Borderposts seem much better.  They're more likely to get the color of mana you need to cast Violent Outburst or Ardent Plea.  If you play turn one land, Borderpost, turn two land, Simian Spirit Guide, cascade spell, that's rather likely to win you the game against anything not running counterspells.  (Which is, say, 75% of the field.)  Granted, your chances go down when you factor in disruption in the form of discard (which is going to be present, I've no doubt) and artifact hate (which everyone and their dog is running against the ridiculousness that is Affinity), but even so, I think the deck can work in the hands of a better player than myself.

Why not simply play a land instead of the borderpost? It doesn't fix your mana, let alone accelerate you.

Why not simply play a land instead of the borderpost? It doesn't fix your mana, let alone accelerate you.

Hmmm... good call.  I guess mostly because that's the play a guy made against me a few weeks ago playing Magic Online that still has me grumbling.  None of the Extended decks I was running online at the time could do anything about a turn-two Hypergenesis except cry.  Well, I suppose my The Rack deck could get lucky and hit their cascade spell or Simian Spirit Guide with discard, but I was not running Duress main at the time....  Anyway, this deck can have really obnoxiously fast wins, which irks me.  It's kind of like Affinity, in that way.  Hence why I think it could be viable.

I think you'll find quite a few decks running Chalice out there, which means, you literally Can't beat them.

MWC doesn't mind if your hypergenesis goes off, since they can see what you drop, then put their runed halo's or whatever, then just wrath away your guys.

Whilst your first game against decks is good, you have almost 0% of beating their sideboards. Ingot chewer helps, but it's not enough to stop chalice, Ethersworn Cannonist, Rule of law, Ghostly Prison etc etc.

Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

I think you'll find quite a few decks running Chalice out there, which means, you literally Can't beat them.

MWC doesn't mind if your hypergenesis goes off, since they can see what you drop, then put their runed halo's or whatever, then just wrath away your guys.

Whilst your first game against decks is good, you have almost 0% of beating their sideboards. Ingot chewer helps, but it's not enough to stop chalice, Ethersworn Cannonist, Rule of law, Ghostly Prison etc etc.

Yeah, MWC is ridiculous against hypegensis.  You can easily win against a resolved hypergenesis, and you get access to all the hate cards, including a lot of builds running thoughtseize (in the Wb ones), chalice, and canonist.

Yeah, MWC is ridiculous against hypegensis.  You can easily win against a resolved hypergenesis, and you get access to all the hate cards, including a lot of builds running thoughtseize (in the Wb ones), chalice, and canonist.

I had a guy quit on my turn 0 vs hypergenesis after I stopped the his turn1 combo

And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I had a guy quit on my turn 0 vs hypergenesis after I stopped the his turn1 combo

Wait... how'd you manage that?

2 rune halo's an O ring and a baneslayer

And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I lol'd.

Hehe, PWNED.

That's cool.

All of you guys are forgetting that you're all scrubby as hell and don't think about what Hypergenesis can sideboard against their opponents. For starters, the right build plays 4 maindeck firespouts, so that deals with cannonist, and chalice for zero is actually a good thing for the hypergenesis player, because it gives them more turns to get good cards. One simple wipe away will get rid of chalice and say suck it to control, plus wipe away wrecks dark depths. Also, people don't realize that Hypergenesis can just play restore balance instead post board and completely destroy 90% of the field. Any of the people who think Hypergenesis is not good are complete morons.
Sign In to post comments