9/17/2009 FtL: "Start the Quest-tivities!"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Simple card. It's great for burn decks (obviously) since it encourages you to burn through cards quickly. If you get two of these in play powered up with some early control burn then your almost guaranteed to win with 1 or 2 larger burn spells. With this as a win condition, you could probably go creature-less. 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107006864516990804523/about

At first I though 'Meh, another burn-only card'. But then he mentioned Quiet Speculation and it all started making sense. I'm glad I'm gonna be able to put my foil playset of it to good use. Hopefully I can pick some up at the prerelease.

Photobucket

Hmm... Sounds like fun with Intuition!

Looks like an interesting Johnny card.

The landfall enchantments with a converted mana cost of one (Quest for Ancient Secrets, Quest for the Gravelord, etc.)

???  There's no landfall on those cards...

My favorite one here is Mystical Teachings. Use one to find another (quest counter number one), use that one to find an instant (quest counter number two, activating Pyromancer Ascension)

You don't get your first quest counter until you play the second Mystical Teachings.

Simple card. It's great for burn decks (obviously) since it encourages you to burn through cards quickly. If you get two of these in play powered up with some early control burn then your almost guaranteed to win with 1 or 2 larger burn spells. With this as a win condition, you could probably go creature-less. 

I don't think that card is any good for a straight burn deck, for the simple and good reason that it will rarely work without any johnny shenanigans. For a normal burn deck, getting to cast the same burn spell twice in a game is not rare, but getting to do that a second time with a different burn spell, or getting to cast the same spell three times is not something that happens nearly often enough to warrant the inclusion of such an enchantment that will be a complete dead card unless of those things happen.

This card really is for johnnies (hence why it's a good fit for From the Lab), and more likely for uber-johnnies. Despite the flavor of the card, I think it should be used with something more clever than burn.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

Awesome card for a storm deck since it focuses on casting lots of spells in a turn, but in standard unless we see retrace, or flashback spells I don't see it making hugh waves.

Flame Burst, Pardic Firecat, this card...

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Embarassed

Sealed

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I think this card has far more application than some are giving it credit for.  I think johnny will find more use for this than spike.

Johny-Spike likes, it's exploitable, and not to terribly hard to get active within the first few turns of the game, more then one in play and it gets silly.

This card might have a shot at putting a dent in the current metagames. It's cheap enough turn a profit really early and its effect is enough to really put a hurting on an opponent in the right deck.