Custom Set Aurora

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

Howdy all. I'm new to the board. Be gentle.

So, I've been thinking of a set idea. It's a small set in a block about enchantments. The theme is auras. All about auras. As with most themes it's most important that the theme show up at common. So I wanted to show off a common cycle I've been brainstorming.

W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ enters the battlefield, enchanted player gains five life.

2U
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ enters the battlefield, enchanted player draws two cards.

2B
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ enters the battlefield, enchanted player discards two cards.

R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ enters the battlefield, ~ deals 3 damage to enchanted player.

1G
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ enter the battlefield, enchanted player search his or her library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then enchanted player shuffles his or her library.

With these commons my emphasis was on simplicity and clarity of set themes. Thoughts?

Help create custom set Aurora

The white one looks pretty overpowered, 5 life for W is a little strong, other than that i like the idea and the effects are decent.

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

But why are they enchantments again? They provide no continious effects.

It's a small set in a block about enchantments. The theme is auras. All about auras.

Reading is tech.

I assume there will be a lot of cards in the set that interact with enchantments/auras, which makes this a pretty cool cycle for the set. The blue one will almost certainly be better than the rest though.

But why are they enchantments again? They provide no continious effects. You should consider upping their mana cost and adding some permanent effects.

They are enchantments without an ongoing effect for two reasons: 1) they provide a novel way of doing a common spell cycle at common that is thematically at home in a block about enchantments, and specifically a set about auras, and 2) they open up design space for cards that care about auras.

For instance other abilities in the block might be affinity for auras (or enchantments), or being able to sacrifice auras (or enchantments) for some effect.

Edit: Scooped by DarkAvatar... who, btw, has the coolest user pic ever.

The white one is fine. Decent and limited and nothing more.

But why are they enchantments again? They provide no continious effects. You should consider upping their mana cost and adding some permanent effects.

As its an Aura based block, there are probably strong options for Aura movement, and therefor repeated effects.

Although, worded, these cards wouldn't work that way, I'd say reword them as,

"When ~ becomes attached to a player, *does effect*"  So you could Simic Guildmage it around (or like effect)

I assume there will be a lot of cards in the set that interact with enchantments/auras, which makes this a pretty cool cycle for the set. The blue one will almost certainly be better than the rest though.

How exactly is this unusual?

Exactly, I was following the age old cycle advice of: the white one has to suck (Healing salve), the blue one has to rock (Ancestral Recall)

As an aside, people really think the white one is too powerful? I'd never play this unless it was in limited and I was loaded up on enchantment triggers.

As its an Aura based block, there are probably strong options for Aura movement, and therefor repeated effects.

Although, worded, these cards wouldn't work that way, I'd say reword them as,

"When ~ becomes attached to a player, *does effect*" So you could Simic Guildmage it around (or like effect)

This seems 100% the right way to do this, thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, lifegain overall sucks. However, 5 for 1 is more than what Wizards print. I'm not saying it should be as bad as Sacred Nectar tho.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. What I've heard:

1) Make sure it matters that these are auras. Hopefully once I flesh out the set more it will be obvious that it does matter.

2) The white one is overpowered. With that advice I think I'll drop it down to 4 life, but I'm not comfortable going lower than that, as the lifegain should be better than the damage.

3) Have them trigger on becoming attached to a player. Consider it done.

So this cycle is now of the form:

cost
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
When ~ becomes attached to a player, effect

Where:

W gain 4 life
2U draw 2 cards
2B discard 2 cards
R deal 3 damage
1G rampant growth

Now for other cards in Aurora. I think the most obvious thing that should be in such a set are creatures that get benefits from being enchanted. To underscore this point I think that there should be a psuedo keyword attached to these abilities. For instance:

Thran Golem

Artifact Creature — Golem
Auraed - As long as Thran Golem is enchanted, it gets +2/+2 and has flying, first strike, and trample.

3/3

or

Aura Loving Shade

1B

Creature - Shade

Auraed - As long as ~ is enchanted, it has "B: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn."

2/1

Where "Auraed" is replaced by a less dumb word. This change would have a retroactive effect on a total of 8 cards by my count. Since these creatures should probably exist in the set, I wanted to try doing a similar trick to the one I did with the Enchant player auras and make a common cycle of creature targetting instants that are also auras and thus could be used offensively or defensively. Example:

1R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Flash
Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 2 damage to enchanted creature.

The point being that it could either be used to power up your own creature in a pinch, or to shock an opponent's creature. The obvious other members of the cycle could be:

1U - unsummon
1B - -2/-2
1G - +2/+2

with white being kind of hard to pin down.

Thoughts? I like the versatility of these cards, but feel right now they are kind of clunky. Another cycle of auras that seem useful would follow this theme:

R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has first strike.
Instantiate - 2R, discard ~: Put a 2/2 red goblin creature token with first strike into play. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Why not instead of lowering the white Aura to 4 life, raise its cost to 1W? In the end it all depends on the curve of each color, but it's another possibility.

I'll take a look at the new cards in a minute.

Oh, and thanks! I also think my avatar is pretty awesome.

D'oh! Funny I didn't even consider changing the cost. 1W for 5 life isn't ridiculous is it? I apparently have no idea how to cost life gain.

D'oh! Funny I didn't even consider changing the cost. 1W for 5 life isn't ridiculous is it? I apparently have no idea how to cost life gain.

That's ok. Neither does Wizards. All of there lifegain stuff is either terrible, or completely ridiculous (I'm looking at you, Martyr of Sands).

Are you planning on doing a cycle of Enchantment Creatures in this set? I loved the consept of Enchantment Creatures when we got that one in Future Sight

Are you planning on doing a cycle of Enchantment Creatures in this set? I loved the consept of Enchantment Creatures when we got that one in Future Sight

While having multiple types is novel, it does make them more susceptible to destruction.  Having Disenchant able to kill creatures makes it a dengerous concept.

~Squinty

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

While having multiple types is novel, it does make them more susceptible to destruction.  Having Disenchant able to kill creatures makes it a dengerous concept.

~Squinty

Doesn't stop Artifact Creatures from being around, now does it?

Maybe, but I'll have to restrain the insanity that makes me want to print this at mythic:

Death Spiral Order
BBB
Enchantment Creature - Cleric
Skip your draw step.

Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard.

Pay 1 life: Exile the top card of your library face down. Put that card into your hand at the beginning of your next end step.
2/2

Anyways, any comments on the common cycles? I'm still looking for a better way to do common instants as auras.

I've been thinking about this a little more. My main concern was how to do Enchantment Creatures that were specific to a set about Auras. As I've said, I've been thinking about Aurora as a small set in an Enchantment block, so Enchantment Creatures would be something I'd obviously be tempted to do elsewhere. So how should I make them specifically fit into Aurora? Here's my licid inspired solution:

Prison Wards [u]
2W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
1W: Flip ~.
=============================
Enchantment Creature - Incarnation
Vigilance
3/5

So first a couple of problems. One, that's at minimum 3 lines of text on the top of a flip card (which gets pretty cramped for anything remotely complicated). Two, the cards bottom and top halfs have to match better than this (I was thinking the creature below is clearly defensive, but the connection isn't that obvious).

One possible change I could do is make you be able to flip it back from. (1W: Flip ~ and attach it to target creature).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion MrAdventure! Thoughts on this idea?

Overall the color pie distribution would go:

Green gets to enchant creatures.

So does White, but it gets enchantments that are global.

Blue goes on to you.

Black goes on to the opponent.

Red has a blend (mostly Green and Black stuff).

And of course there would be overlap where appropriate. An Aura based set would probably also be at least a bit creature based, that could be important to keep in mind (unless all of what I've said is obvious, which ,considering it's me, is likely). And for Aura-ed? What about Enchanted? Sorry. Couldn't help myself. But Affinity would have been nice if that wasn't taken. Magical?

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Maybe, but I'll have to restrain the insanity that makes me want to print this at mythic:

Death Spiral Order
BBB
Enchantment Creature - Cleric
Skip your draw step.

Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard.

Pay 1 life: Exile the top card of your library face down. Put that card into your hand at the beginning of your next end step.
2/2

Anyways, any comments on the common cycles? I'm still looking for a better way to do common instants as auras.

That seems like quite an idea. After all, you are reprinting both Disenchant and Naturalize? And Demystify?

Perhaps you could do instants that have a keyword along the lines of: Residue (When this card is put in the graveyard, put a colorless Aura named Residue on all permanents it targeted).Except that probably has huge templating issues.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I'm not sure about printing both demystify and naturalize in the same set. Sketching out slots for the set, I was thinking the following:

Cycle of common "anti-enchantment" cards.

W CITP (ETB?) Demystify creature, also Demystify or some variant
U Um... bounce I guess, but specifically Annul
B Duress that only hits enchantments
R Something that deals damage to enchanted creature(s)
G Naturalize

At uncommon you would have:

G CITP Naturalize Creature (or Resuable Naturalize creature)
W Destroy all enchantments

Anyways....

I'm intrigued by Residue. However, I need to be convinced that it's not strictly better to print flash enchantments with come into play triggers.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your earlier post. I looked at some old notes I had, I had scribbled down Imbued, as a possible psuedo keyword for creatures that like being enchanted. I saw someone on MTGSalvation proposing similiar creatures. He used the psuedo-keyword Auramancy.

I'm not sure about printing both demystify and naturalize in the same set. Sketching out slots for the set, I was thinking the following:

Cycle of common "anti-enchantment" cards.

W CITP (ETB?) Demystify creature, also Demystify or some variant
U Um... bounce I guess, but specifically Annul
B Duress that only hits enchantments
R Something that deals damage to enchanted creature(s)
G Naturalize

At uncommon you would have:

G CITP Naturalize Creature (or Resuable Naturalize creature)
W Destroy all enchantments

Anyways....

I'm intrigued by Residue. However, I need to be convinced that it's not strictly better to print flash enchantments with come into play triggers.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your earlier post. I looked at some old notes I had, I had scribbled down Imbued, as a possible psuedo keyword for creatures that like being enchanted. I saw someone on MTGSalvation proposing similiar creatures. He used the psuedo-keyword Auramancy.

It was kinda of joke (the Naturalize thing). Like Terror and Shatter in Mirrodin? Shatter suddenly became a first pick in draft, while Terror went drastically down in value.

The idea with Residue that makes it different is that you can make global spells, or just spells that effect more than one permanent, and they all get Auras. For example:

Echo of Strength WW

Instant (U)

Residue

All creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of turn.

Glory leaves a trace.

At higher rarities (maybe some uncommons too) you could get Residue spells that did something with Auras left over, or even Enchantments and/or Artifacts with Residue, though that would require a change in the wording (I think):

Great Plague 4BB

Sorcery (R or M)

Residue

All creatures gain -5/-3 until end of turn.

As long as ~ is in your graveyard, all creatures enchanted by it gain -1/-1.

Those who survive will forever bear a scar.

Imbued sounds great, I'm not so happy about Auramancy. It just doesn't feel that natural.

Edit: Just realised global spells don't work with the current wording of Residue... You'll fix that, I'm sure. Anyways, I'll be away from the internet for about a week, so I obvoiusly won't be able to help anymore (not that you needit). Good luck!

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

The idea with Residue that makes it different is that you can make global spells, or just spells that effect more than one permanent, and they all get Auras. For example:

Echo of Strength WW

Instant (U)

Residue

Glory leaves a trace.

Edit: Just realised global spells don't work with the currnet wording of Residue... You'll fix that, I'm sure. Anyways, I'll be away from the internet for about a week, so I obvoiusly won't be able to help anymore (not that you need Good luck!

Well, you might not see this for about a week but: Thanks, I really like this card!

Let's first start by trying it as a Regular enchantment:

Echo of Strength WW
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
When ~ enters the battlefield all creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

That's really, really cool. I want to try to brainstorm a way to keword these as instants, because I love the flavor of "Glory leaves a trace" but if nothing else this card is going into the set.

Echo of Strength WW

Instant (U)

Residue

Glory leaves a trace.

Edit: Just realised global spells don't work with the currnet wording of Residue... You'll fix that, I'm sure. Anyways, I'll be away from the internet for about a week, so I obvoiusly won't be able to help anymore (not that you need Good luck!

Well, you might not see this for about a week but: Thanks, I really like this card!

Let's first start by trying it as a Regular enchantment:

Echo of Strength WW
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
When ~ enters the battlefield all creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

That's really, really cool. I want to try to brainstorm a way to keword these as instants, because I love the flavor of "Glory leaves a trace" but if nothing else this card is going into the set.

Why, thanks! I liked the card quite a bit myself, and was kind of thinking of a Echo cycle, but I'm happy to see you like it.

At this point you may be a bit mystified to see my posting, but all I can say is that I was very lucky :D.

PS: I just realised how many spelling mistakes there were in the last post. Even by my standards.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I'm really liking the sound of this set. Keep up the good work! I think your cards are balanced, and I think the enchantment creatures are a good idea. Come up with something new while you're at it.
Sets that I am excited for: Worldwake Rise of the Eldrazi New Phyrexia Grixis Cube!!

Exactly, I was following the age old cycle advice of: the white one has to suck (Healing salve), the blue one has to rock (Ancestral Recall)

As an aside, people really think the white one is too powerful? I'd never play this unless it was in limited and I was loaded up on enchantment triggers.

Yeah, lifegain overall sucks. However, 5 for 1 is more than what Wizards print. I'm not saying it should be as bad as Sacred Nectar tho.

generous life-gain spells might suck indeed, even in an accordingly-themed deck, but Eurus got the crucial point here. wizards would at most give 4 life for one mana i guess, especially if we're talking about a one-drop enchantment which loves getting bounced.

and well that's not quite an ancestrall recall (thankfully), more a Counsel of the Soratami-enchantment form ;)

if you're looking forward for an aura-themed set, i'd advise to introduce an ability like "Auramancy" (or another suiting name at pleasure) which indicates that this permanent gets a buff if one or more auras are attached to it.

there are currently five cards which get a buff for each enchantment attached to them, and eight cards that profit from being enchanted (except for Rootwater Matriarch, which works the other way round)
each of them could become a potential reprint for your set.

but i'll show an example of the ability on a new card:

Vicious Mythic (3B)
Creature - Human Wizard
Auramancy - As long as ~ is enchanted, creatures your opponents control get -1/-1.
2/3

"Not a single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood."
Synergies and Combos are fun :D

if you're looking forward for an aura-themed set, i'd advise to introduce an ability like "Auramancy" (or another suiting name at pleasure) which indicates that this permanent gets a buff if one or more auras are attached to it.

there are currently five cards which get a buff for each enchantment attached to them, and eight cards that profit from being enchanted (except for Rootwater Matriarch, which works the other way round)
each of them could become a potential reprint for your set.

but i'll show an example of the ability on a new card:

Vicious Mythic (3B)
Creature - Human Wizard
Auramancy - As long as ~ is enchanted, creatures your opponents control get -1/-1.
2/3

I'd brainstormed:

Aura Loving Shade
1B
Creature - Shade
Imbued
- As long as ~ is enchanted, it has "B: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
2/1

earlier in the thread, but I like the idea of a cycle that has a global effect when enchanted. Maybe a common cycle that just effects themselves (like the shade) and then an uncommon cycle (like vicious mythic) that have more global effects. First thoughts on that second cycle:

WW
Creature - Human Knight
First strike.
Imbued
- As long as ~ is enchanted, creatures you control get +1/+1.
2/2

4U
Creautre - Bird Wizard
Flying
Imbued
- As long as ~ is enchanted, creatures your opponents control have -3/-0.
3/3

Your guy at black.

2RR
Creature - Giant
Imbued
- As long as ~ is enchanted, creature you control have first strike.
4/3

2GG
Reach
Imbued - As long as ~ is enchanted, creature you control have deathtouch.
2/4
what about using an echo cost on an enchantment. have the echo cost be higher, but have it create another effect when its paid, or not paid. or possible an enchantment that creates tokens of enchantments? an example that came to mind
1ww
enchantment
echo 3www
when ~ comes into play, target a creature. that creature cannot attack or block
if you paid the echo cost, choose 3 more target creatures. those creatures cannot attack or block.
if you didnt pay the echo cost, put a +1/+1 counter on targeted creature and sacrifice ~

or a green
2g
enchantment-aura
enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
at the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay GG for each aura you control. if you do, put a copy of this enchantment into play for each time you payed this cost, attached to this creature.

these are just some ideas that i had.
Sign In to post comments