9/16/2009 StF: "Monument to a Lost Age"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

So this is where we first see something about the Eldrazi. A monument. Hmm.

Looking at the art I'd say the Hedrons are not their prisons, I'd say the Eldrazi created them from the looks of the art on the card (Not the Hedron by the statues hands.. )

So it's kind of like an Akroma's Memorial, sort of? Token swarm decks are gonna love this, they can spare the creatures and the pump + flying alone would be cause to play this. Indestructable makes anything small with vigilance an obsticle. This card gets points for being something that Johnny, Timmy, and maybe Spike will all like.

Is this thing Mythic? (I can never tell between Mythic and Rare on computer screens). If it is, I'd say that's a mistake. This seems to ask itself to be rare.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107006864516990804523/about

This is THE card I was waiting for. It will fit perfectly in my Master Transmuter / Sharuum deck.

Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif

The creative team has tried to answer variants of this week's question before in the past.  I've never been satisfied with the answer.  The real answer is just that planeswalkers can't hop back and forth because that would make things too easy and the stories would be less interesting.  It's not a very satisfying answer so they have to make up some (in my opinion flimsy) flavor reason, but at least the stories have conflict.

Why do I feel that Goblin Assault goes perfectly with this?

"Heraclitus"?  Really?  Who is the mastermind that came up with that name and how did it ever see print? 

So it's kind of like an Akroma's Memorial, sort of? Token swarm decks are gonna love this, they can spare the creatures and the pump + flying alone would be cause to play this. Indestructable makes anything small with vigilance an obsticle. This card gets points for being something that Johnny, Timmy, and maybe Spike will all like.

Is this thing Mythic? (I can never tell between Mythic and Rare on computer screens). If it is, I'd say that's a mistake. This seems to ask itself to be rare.

That was my first thought as well it will fit well in goblin, and elf token decks.  Too bad all the wither creatures (only way to control this artifact other then destorying it) all roll out of standard.

The creative team has tried to answer variants of this week's question before in the past.  I've never been satisfied with the answer.  The real answer is just that planeswalkers can't hop back and forth because that would make things too easy and the stories would be less interesting.  It's not a very satisfying answer so they have to make up some (in my opinion flimsy) flavor reason, but at least the stories have conflict.

I don't know if "The Roil" really consists of a flimsy flavour reason.  After all, it's a rather important planar feature for Zendikar.

I think Doug answered the question with a lot of tact, but not much thought.  After all, this question is answered in Agents of Artifice when dealing with the obstacle of Tezzeret's stronghold.  It's possible, but not necessarily easy and definitely not on Zendikar because of the aforementioned Roil.  Doug obfuscates this simple answer with metaphysical Blind Eternities mumbo jumbo.

"Heraclitus"?  Really?  Who is the mastermind that came up with that name and how did it ever see print? 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus
Ummm... his mama?

How does the answer, "It takes a lot of effort to affix certain locations into ones mind" not answer the question? This isn't a room in a house, where you can punch a hole in one wall and get a location in the same place in a different room one over. That's just not how this seems to work.

It's like punching a hole in your bedroom wall and ending up in the Eiffel Tower. Or the Pyramids of Giza. You are guessing, and hoping you end up in the plane your looking for. This is just like most fantasy AND sci-fi sources deal with teleportation. It's REALLY FREAKING DANGEROUS to teleport to someplace if you've never been there. If you don't have a clear mental image or some mechanical lock-on of every object in the room, there is really nothing to stop you from 'porting in and having a chair built out of your face. 

I really enjoyed this little bit of flavor along with the card preview.  I feel that it captured the feel of this card, and the set, quite nicely.  The way the story ended was even kind of distrubing to me and really brought about in my mind what it's like to "sacrafice a creature" They don't just always poof into dust, some end in tragic ways.  And every creature summoned might be a dear friend to the planeswalker who summoned it. 

Treasures and perils are both entwined with this cards use.  I hope to see more cards like this in the new set.   Also kudos to Mark Tendin for the amazing art, his organic style lends to the slightly disturbing magesty of this artifact.

I really enjoyed this little bit of flavor along with the card preview.  I feel that it captured the feel of this card, and the set, quite nicely.  The way the story ended was even kind of distrubing to me and really brought about in my mind what it's like to "sacrafice a creature" They don't just always poof into dust, some end in tragic ways.  And every creature summoned might be a dear friend to the planeswalker who summoned it. 

Treasures and perils are both entwined with this cards use.  I hope to see more cards like this in the new set.   Also kudos to Mark Tendin for the amazing art, his organic style lends to the slightly disturbing magesty of this artifact.

Thanks for this post, because now I don't need to write the exact same thing.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif

I'll add my voice to the other responses with a sci-fi example, ever see a show/movie where the ships use folding/jumping to travel great distances? It's not always an exact science. In nuBattlestar Galactica, there was a scene where a handful of Raptors (think Blackhawks in space) jumped from space into the atmosphere of a planet. One of them ended up inside a mountain. Or take the SDF-1's first jump in Robotech. It was done in an emergency, granted, but instead of jumping just outside the lunar orbit (their intended destination, IIRC), they ended up orbiting Pluto.

Planeswalkers aren't omnipotent or flawless. They have a hell of an ability, but it's still an "ability". It takes skill and practice. And like Beyer said, if the geography of something like Zendikar is constantly changing, then you're lucky if you don't find yourself in the belly of a baloth, much less the side of a mountain.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013