Polearm Gamble Warlock

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

A rather odd looking build, this, and probably already covered; I think the basic Eldritch Strike/Polearm Gamble/Polearm Momentum combination is an efficient one though; barbarians can do something similar but do less damage, and push rather than sliding -- not, in my opinion, as good, as there are better slide items available.

I'm not sure that hybrid warlocks can take twofold pact, but I assume that they can. It's my belief that only humans and hybrid warlocks can take eldritch strike...and I don't want to be human, so, by default, a hybrid.

Saves a few feats, anyway.

Revenant Dragonborn Glaive Warlock|Fighter, Iron Vanguard, Prison of the Winds (demigod is, as usual, probably slightly better)

STR 14 - 22 
CON 18 - 28
DEX 14 - 18
INT 11 - 13 
WIS 14 - 16
CHA 8 - 10

At Will: Eldritch Strike, (fighter power)
Encounter: Vampiric Embrace, Dark Reaping/Dragonbreath, Sweeping Blow, Howl of Doom, Frontline Surge,  Scattering Swing, Sea Tyrant's Fury, Spiteful Darts, Cruel Reaper
Utility: Pass Forward, Dark One's Own Luck, Transcendent Dance, Inexorable Shift, Infuriating Elusiveness, Unyielding  
Daily: Armor of Agatys,  Hunger of Hadar, Terrifying Impact, Tendrils of Thuban, Quicksilver Stance, (some high level dailies)

Feats: Hybrid Talent - Fighter Armor Proficiency, Arcane Implement Proficiency(heavy blades), Focused Expertise(heavy blades),  Curse of Io's Blood, Weapon Focus, Polearm Gamble, Polearm Momentum, Draconic Arrogance, Arcane Admixture(cold), Two Fold Pact (infernal), Dragon Soul(cold), Draconic Spellcaster, Wintertouched, Lasting Frost, Heavy Blade Mastery, Warding Curse, Hero of Faith, Paragon/Epic Defenses

At 30th level, the Eldritch Strike hit bonus is +38 (+15 (level) +9(stat) +3(expertise) +3(draconic spellcaster) +6 enhancement +2 proficiency, not counting WT/LF), the damage, 4d4+3d6+46(18 CON 13 STR 6 enh 6 bracers 3 focus).  This isn't super good, but there's a slide 8 and knock prone attached, of course...  

At low levels...a striker. I would use a longsword and rod for the first part of my career, a longsword and shield once I had implement proficiency, a glaive from 11th-30th level. 

At paragon levels - a controller

Level 16:  

STR 18 CON 22 DEX 16 INT 11 WIS 15 CHA 9
Feats: Polearm Momentum, Dragon Soul(cold), Arcane Admixture, Draconic Spellcaster, Hybrid Talent, Curse of Io's Blood, Arcane Implement Prof, Focused Expertise, Polearm Gamble, Draconic Arrogance

Eldritch Strike(cold) with +3 Staggering Glaive: +23 to hit (6 stat, 2 expertise, 8 level, 3 bonus, 2 draconic spellcaster, 2 proficiency), 2d4+2d6+28(4 armbands, 3 bonus, 6 CON, 4 STR, 6 CON(PP), 5(Curse of Io's Blood)), slide 5, knock prone.

I made a similar build a while back; I never finished figuring out the feats in epic so I never posted it.  Some ideas I used with that one to think about:

Hybrid talent for fighter armor is probably better than battlerage vigor.  Your dex and int will never be high enough for a decent AC otherwise.

If you go Eternal Defender, you'll be able to use a shield with your glaive at 24th level.

Dragon Soul+Draconic Spellcaster and a weapon that changes damage to your dragonbreath type will make your arcane powers very accurate.  This includes eldritch strike, so you'll hit a lot with the OAs polearm gamble gives you.  It stacks with Blade Opportunist if you want even more accurate OAs.

If you take Vestige instead of Infernal for your two fold pact, there are vestiges that let you push/knock prone with an at will ranged attack or with you pact boon.  Combine with Vestige Mastery in epic to always have that available.  Vestige of Amaan will be the best one; it will let you push and knock prone with your at will and push (but, alas, not knock prone, since it's not a polearm attack) with your pact boon.

There are a lot of warlock powers to take that push int mod; if you start with 11 int and 14 dex instead of your current setup, you'll get a +1 int mod and still have the 15 dex you need in paragon.  With Tactician's Armor (first available as a 5th level item), you can push 2 with any of those powers, which will let you knock prone was well.

Rushing cleats are great, but remember they're only for close or melee attacks.  They get your eldritch strike to the necessary 2 squares, as well as your fighter and iron vanguard powers.  That's what makes +1 int mod and tactician's armor necessary to make EVERY attack push or slide at least 2.

Scattering Swing is an excellent fighter attack power; close burst 1 and it pushes on either a hit or a miss.

Those are the major differences I can spot right away; I may try to get my version finished up and posted.

Hm, much to think about here.

I made a similar build a while back; I never finished figuring out the feats in epic so I never posted it.  Some ideas I used with that one to think about:

Hybrid talent for fighter armor is probably better than battlerage vigor.  Your dex and int will never be high enough for a decent AC otherwise.

Clearly you are right there. I'll change it.

If you go Eternal Defender, you'll be able to use a shield with your glaive at 24th level.

I am pretty sure Eternal Defender isn't worth it, at least. Infernal pact warlocks are very durable by Epic, the character already has reach, and I think Adamantine Soldier would give better features with the same AC bonus, now that you've persuaded me to take Fighter Armor Talent. There's really nothing wrong with resist 7 all, a movement/armor bonus, and a shift/push stance. Probably better Epic Destinies than either are available, mind you.

Dragon Soul+Draconic Spellcaster and a weapon that changes damage to your dragonbreath type will make your arcane powers very accurate.  This includes eldritch strike, so you'll hit a lot with the OAs polearm gamble gives you.  It stacks with Blade Opportunist if you want even more accurate OAs.

Definitely worth thinking about...but I'm not sure that the massive slides provided by a high level staggering weapon aren't better. Likely this depends a lot on your party and the terrain, but an at-will and opportunity slide 5+ is huge. There aren't a lot of feat slots available, either - I mean, I'd be dropping Weapon Focus and Paragon Defenses in order to do it. +2 to hit by 16th level is worth the two feats, definitely, but I'm not sure it's worth the weapon lock-in as well. I would be about equally inclined to take White Lotus feats, of which there are many great ones.

If you take Vestige instead of Infernal for your two fold pact, there are vestiges that let you push/knock prone with an at will ranged attack or with you pact boon.  Combine with Vestige Mastery in epic to always have that available.  Vestige of Amaan will be the best one; it will let you push and knock prone with your at will and push (but, alas, not knock prone, since it's not a polearm attack) with your pact boon.

Quite reasonable. Again, in some parties, probably better. To me, the Infernal Pact boon seems more attractive, but it might be obvious that the ranged versatility is the way to go after a little play.

There are a lot of warlock powers to take that push int mod; if you start with 11 int and 14 dex instead of your current setup, you'll get a +1 int mod and still have the 15 dex you need in paragon.  With Tactician's Armor (first available as a 5th level item), you can push 2 with any of those powers, which will let you knock prone was well.

Rushing cleats are great, but remember they're only for close or melee attacks.  They get your eldritch strike to the necessary 2 squares, as well as your fighter and iron vanguard powers.  That's what makes +1 int mod and tactician's armor necessary to make EVERY attack push or slide at least 2.

Possibly...but you are definitely going to want a 17 DEX by 21st level. I am not sold on Tactician's Armor and the intelligence, either; it's good but hardly earthshattering, and as far as I can see it would affect only one power, for three levels, that I actually chose.

Scattering Swing is an excellent fighter attack power; close burst 1 and it pushes on either a hit or a miss.

Ooh, good call; I've changed to that.

This was/is my try to rebuild the battlerager version of my old fisherman, effective DR is only 14 (con temp + DR 5 from ring), but the precision is high. And quite similar to your build, so maybe you can use some elements..

Race: Renevant Dragonborn
Class: Warlock|Fighter (hybrid)
Aegis: Warding
Multi: Warden
PP: Iron Vanguard
ED: Demigod

Stat progression: (bumps)
Str: 14->22 (8)
Con: 16-18->28 (8)
Dex: 15->17
Int: 10->12
Wis: 14->16
Cha: 8->10

Feats:
Hybrid Talent(battlerager vigor), Focused Expertise (heavy blade), Polearm Momentum, Polearm Gamble, Curse of Io's Blood, Dragonborn Soul, Draconic Spellcaster, Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade), Chain Proficiency, Mark of Storm, MC Warden, Sudden Roots, Adept Power (Form of Winter), Draconic Spellcaster (lightning), Blade Opportunist, Second Pact (Vestige), Weapon Focus, Warding Curse

Defenses:
AC: 10+15(lvl)+6(enh)+12(chain)+3(agile)+2(shadow)+2(curse) = 50
Fort 10+15(lvl)+6(enh)+9(stat)+2(shadow)+2(curse)+1(class) = 45
Ref 10+15(lvl)+6(enh)+3(stat)+2(shadow)+2(curse)+1(class) = 39
Wil 10+15(lvl)+6(enh)+3(stat)+2(shadow)+2(curse) = 38

Powers:
at-will: Eldrich Strike, fighter power
encounter: 3 open, PP
daily: Form of Winters Herald (warden), 2 open, PP
utility: 5 open, ED, PP

Items:
Hand1: +6 Lightning Glaive (with Shard of Lightning affixed)
Hand2:
Chest: +6 Agile Chain
Neck: +6 Cloak of Displacement
Waist:
Feet: Rushing Cleats
Head: Helm of Opportunity
Hands: Greatreach Gauntlets
Arms: Iron Armbands of Power +6
Ring1: Shadow Band
Ring2: Ring of Free Time
misc: rod of feywild+2 (10), rod of the infernal+2 (8), quickcurse rod+1 (8), salves of power (6)

to hit:
15(lvl)+9(con)+6(enh)+2(weapon)+3(expert)+3(dragon) = +38 vs AC 44

to hit OA:
15(lvl)+9(con)+6(enh)+2(weapon)+3(expert)+3(dragon)+2(feat)+3(helm) = +43 vs AC 44

damage on hit (all warlock powers, not just eldrich strike):
+9 (con)
+9 (con on push/knockdown)
+6 (str on push/knockdown)
+6 (enh)
+5 (shard)
+3 (focus)
+3d6 (curse)
+7 (curse of io ->str+1)
+6 (armbands, only on eldrich strike)
slide 2
knockdown
slow (on OAs)

The builds are indeed close, and yours has lots of good ideas.

I appear to be missing something, though - how do you end up with slide 2 on non-melee/close attacks?

The builds are indeed close, and yours has lots of good ideas.

I appear to be missing something, though - how do you end up with slide 2 on non-melee/close attacks?

Its originally a variation of my (very old) bouncy dragonball build, which had push/knockdowns with about every power. On slide all: you are missing nothing unfortunately. I knew there was a reason why i didn't add it to the fisherman thread in the end, the lack of universal slide improvements. I was thinking about using Vestige Mastery-> eyes of vestige have a push (or pull), eldrich strike has a slide, and everything else is  close burst/close blast with slide, but unfortunately there are some very good non-close warlock powers.

Btw, if you don't need the fisherman component (the icy terrain), your build can have a easy way to add push to your ranged at-will (so your vestige can be used for something better): Form of the Fearsome Ram. Say you take Vestige Mastery and Learje: Now you can push, knockdown and immobilize until next turn, effectively taking melee range enemies out of the game...

I know this thread is old, but I thought it the best place to get some advice.  With the new half-elf craziness I had a character in mind that could fluidly fill any role.  Half Elf Warlock MC Fighter using a glaive.  My problem is that I'm stuck at paragon path.  I was looking at the Polymath per that same half elf article.  Also, it was suggested I go the runepriest PP Hammer of Vengeance.   

The goal of the build is to fill all four roles adequately each encounter.  I think Infernal Pact plus polearm tricks allows for Defender/Controller, Word of Shielding Dilettante fills some Leader/healing, and Warlocks are strikers (though admittedly the damage of this build isn't terrific).

Any advice or commentary is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Level 1
Class - Warlock | Eldritch Pact - Infernal | Eldritch Strike - Con
Race - Half Elf | Bonus Language - Open
Background - Open

Starting Stats
STR - 14
CON - 18 (16 +2 racial)
DEX - 14
INT - 10
WIS - 13
CHA - 10 (8 +2 racial)

Skills - Open

Feat - Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blades)

Powers
Dilettante - Word of Shielding
Eldritch At-Will - Eldritch Strike
Pact At-Will - Hellish Rebuke
Lvl 1 Encounter - Chains of Levistus
Lvl 1 Daily - Vile Brand

Items
Scythe
Leather Armor
55g to spend

leveling choices
Level 2 = Feat - Adept Dilettante (Con), Lvl 2 Utility - Ethereal Stride
Level 3 = Lvl 3 Encounter - Fortune Binding
Level 4 = +1 CON, +1 DEX, Feat - Weapon Prof (glaive)
Level 5 = Lvl 5 Daily - Tyrannical Threat
Level 6 = Feat - Focused Expertise (glaive), Lvl 6 Utility - Unspeakable Bond
Level 7 = Lvl 7 Encounter - Mordant Rains of Dis
Level 8 = +1 CON, +1 WIS, Feat - Battle Awareness (Skill - Open)
Level 9 = Lvl 9 Daily - Feast of Souls
Level 10 = Feat - Effortless Dilettante, Lvl 10 Utility - Bond of Brotherhood

The scythe functions like a glaive without reach.  It's possible to use it until level 4 or later when you finally move to the glaive for reach.  The timing of such is open since reach isn't important to the character just yet.  In any case, the first level feat allows magic heavy blades to boost implement powers.  The second feat is to use Con for attack and damage with Word of Shielding.

Level 11
Class - Warlock | Eldritch Pact - Infernal | Eldritch Strike - Con | Paragon - Undecided
Race - Half Elf | Bonus Language - Open
Background - Open

Stats
STR - 15
CON - 21
DEX - 16
INT - 11
WIS - 15
CHA - 11 (8 +2 racial)

Feat
Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blades)
Level 2: Adept Dilettante (Con)
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Glaive)
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Glaive)
Level 8: Battle Awareness
Level 10: Effortless Dilettante
Level 11: Polearm Momentum

Powers
Dilettante: Word of Shielding
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Strike
Warlock encounter 1: Chains of Levistus
Warlock daily 1: Vile Brand
Warlock utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock encounter 3: Fortune Binding
Warlock daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Warlock utility 6: Unspeakable Bond
Warlock encounter 7: Mordant Rains of Dis
Warlock daily 9: Feast of Souls
Warlock utility 10: Bond of Brotherhood

Items
Staggering Glaive +3
Shadowdance Leather Armor +2
Amulet of Protection +3
5000g to spend

I'm still not sold on any specific PP though.  I do know that I want to take Two Fold Pact which looks to be level 14.  Level 12 feat is for Versatile Master.

The staggering weapons adds weapon enhancement to slide effects which enables polearm momentum to knock prone.  Shadowdance armor allows you to cast the range and area powers without provoking OAs. 

Sign In to post comments