From the Kavu Lair: Diraden Booster

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Disclaimer: As I discovered, creating a set is hard. There may be some cards where it is obvious that I was suffering from design or flavor burnout. However, I think it's at an acceptible level to show off, and as always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

That's wierd, you think to yourself. You are at your local gaming store, and they seem to be carrying a Magic set that you've never heard of. Impossible, I check the web daily. There's no way an entire set could be released without any announcements. Intrigued, you ask the shopkeeper. "Excuse me, but what set is that? I don't think I've ever seen it."
"Oh, that? That's Diraden, it's brand new. You're the first to have noticed, so here. Take a pack, on the house."
Without hesitation, you accept the pack and carefully pry it open, careful not to damage the secrets contained within.

Rewarded Effort WW
Sorcery (C)
Kicker—Tap an untapped creature you control. (You may tap an untapped creature you control as you play this spell.)
You gain 5 life. If the kicker cost was paid, gain life equal to the tapped creature’s toughness.

“Without the sun, we must grow our crops with faith.”
23/160

Updraft Elemental 2UU
Creature - Elemental (C)

Flying
Forecast — 1, Reveal Updraft Elemental from your hand: Target creature gains flying until end of turn. (Play this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

3/3
60/160

Duskhunt Bruiser 1BB
Creature - Vampire Warrior (C)

Kicker—Pay 4 life. (You may pay 4 life as you play this spell.)
If the kicker cost was paid, Duskhunt Bruiser comes into play with two +1/+1 counters and has intimidate.

2/1
72/160

Lightflame Flare R
Sorcery (C)

Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you play this spell.)
Lightflame Flare deals 2 damage to target creature or player. If the kicker cost was paid, copy Lightflame Flare and play the copy without paying its mana cost.
113/160

Lorebranch Sapling 2G
Creature - Treefolk Druid (C)

At the end of each turn, if a player revealed a card from his or her hand this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Lorebranch Sapling.
1G: Regenerate Lorebranch Sapling.

“The woods are a place for real, natural things. Arcane threats and illusions hold no sway here.”
-Fareth, Rylari Lorebranch

2/2
140/160

Shining Hand Medic 1W
Creature - Human Cleric (C)

Kicker 2 (You may pay an additional 2 as you play this spell.)
When Shining Hand Medic comes into play, if the kicker cost was paid, prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures you control this turn.

“For those that have accepted the Light, it will accept you in turn.”

2/2
28/160

Pathmaker Kavu 4G
Creature - Kavu (C)

Trample
2G: Regenerate Pathmaker Kavu.

Wise entrants to the Woods know it is better to not follow the paths.

4/4
141/160

Nightstalk Shadowdancer 3B
Creature - Spirit (C)

Intimidate
Forecast — 1, Reveal Nightstalk Shadowdancer from your hand: Target creature gains intimidate until end of turn. (Play this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

An absence of light doesn’t necessarily mean an absence of shadow.

3/2
82/160

Burning Tribute 1RR
Instant (C)

Kicker—An opponent gains 4 life. (You may have an opponent gain 4 life as you play this spell.)
Burning Tribute deals 4 damage to target creature. Then, unless Burning Tribute was kicked, Burning Tribute deals 4 damage to a creature you control of an opponent’s choice.

A gift of life for eternal destruction.
95/160

Darkleaf Sprite 1G
Creature - Faerie (C)

Whenever you pay GGG or more for a spell you control, put a +1/+1 counter on Darkleaf Sprite.

Once the keepers of the forest, now the sprites are the only thing sustaining it.

1/1
132/160

Starshard Fragment 2
Artifact - Equipment (C)

3: Put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature.
Equip 1

The Glacorian collect them, believing them to be the Celestials’ instruments for their ascension.
157/160

Boonshield Knight WW
Creature - Human Knight (U)

First Strike
Tagchain 1 (When you play Boonshield Knight, you may reveal an instant or sorcery card in your hand with converted mana cost 1 or less and play a copy of it without paying its mana cost.)

The Shining Hand use weaponry blessed by the Lumin, and are able to call on their boons in battle.

2/2
3/160

Astromancer Oracle 3U
Creature - Moonfolk Wizard (U)

Instant and Sorcery spells you control cost U more to play and have “Draw a card, then discard a card”.

“Your birthstar resides in the Ring of Othaios. You will not survive the night.”

2/2
32/160

Ragechannel 1R
Instant (U)

Attacking creatures you control get +3/+0 until end of turn.
Forecast — 1RR, Reveal Ragechannel from your hand: Put a 3/1 red Elemental creature token into play with haste and “Exile this at the end of your turn”. (Play this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
116/160

Empowering Ancient 3GG
Creature - Treefolk Warrior (R)

You may pay G instead of a kicker cost for creature spells you play with kicker.
Kicked creature spells you play come into play with an additional +1/+1 counter.

He has seen many days come and go, and he will ensure that he has not seen the last.

4/6
136/160

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

hmm...  Kicker and forecast.  Interesting.

Looks quite good on the whole.  The only thing that worries me a little is this Tagchain ability.  Simply put,  it seems a bit powerful.  (although it might just be the specific card it's showcased on)

Perhaps one of the following options might lower the power level on it a little bit.  (I'm just bouncing ideas)

Don't allow Tagchain to copy the card.  Have it involve the actual expenditure of the card from your hand.  That way,  Tagchain wouldn't provide such crazy card advantage.

Require the card you reveal to share a colour with the source of the Tagchain ability.

Have Tagchain become a cost. I.e. "As an additional cost to cast this spell..." (I'm not a fan of that one since it makes the lower costed tagchains really really bad and inflexible.)

I know what you mean about running low on innovative ideas. I've been having the same problem with my set.

Overall, I like what I see. Some of the commons are kinda boring, but still solid. I really like Lorebranch Sapling's synergy with forecast and tagchain and I hope there are a lot of cards in your set that use that mechanic.

Tagchain is very cool, but it feels like it will either be really narrow or really broken. If it's almost always tagchain 1 then it will be balanced but narrow, but if too many cards have tagchain >1 it could get kinda ridiculous. I'll have to see more cards with the ability before I really know.

The only problem I see with any of these cards is that Ragechannel may be too powerful for limited. A 3/1 for 3 every turn seems kinda crazy, and even without the forecast it's considerably better than Trumpet Blast.

This booster was created courtesy of MSE's random generate function, I probably could have engineered a better pack, but I wanted to make it natural.

Regarding tagchain, it appears most of the time as Tagchain 1. There are a few 2's, and even one 5, but that's a specific case unto itsself. It plays a very important intersection with the other mechanics.

Tagchain relies on small spells. Kicker lets you turn small spells into big ones. Tagchain lets you get any size effect out of any size card. Tagchain and forecast let use use cards without using them up.  Tagchain does weight the set to smaller spells, but kicker and forecast ensure that big spells and effects are still possible. I feel that they work together quite nicely. For those interested, the breakdown:

Tagchain:
White: 4, Blue: 8, Black: 4, Red: 4, Green: 3, Artifacts: 2

Don't allow Tagchain to copy the card.  Have it involve the actual expenditure of the card from your hand.  That way,  Tagchain wouldn't provide such crazy card advantage.

I had considered that alternative myself, but I think that using up the card makes Tagchain really quite weak, and becoming nothing more than "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

I really like Lorebranch Sapling's synergy with forecast and tagchain and I hope there are a lot of cards in your set that use that mechanic.

That card is from when I looked through my half-done set and thought, "Boy, nothing really plays together". There are some cards that interact with revealed/revealing cards, but I think that is something I'll exhibit more in the hypothetical second set.

The only problem I see with any of these cards is that Ragechannel may be too powerful for limited. A 3/1 for 3 every turn seems kinda crazy, and even without the forecast it's considerably better than Trumpet Blast.

I figure since the token doesn't stay around, and doesn't trample like its Spark-y cousins, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. The cast ability, though, is probably too good. Mostly because I forgot Trumpet Blast existed. :P

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me