DnD4e Combat Tracker Utility

99 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've been running a 4e game for a while now, and I use my laptop as my GM screen.

As such, I've spent a decent amount of time examining the various GM digital assistant offerings out there. I've mainly been using Virtual Combat Cards, MasterPlan, and OneNote to do what I want to do.

All are excellent offerings. However, none of them have exactly the feature set I want while running a fight. Since I prefer to fix rather than complain, I went about writing my own (being a programmer myself).

I've gone through a few versions now (mostly posted on RPG.net and ENworld), and I'm now putting it up here for the world to examine, use, curse at, and lampoon.

DnD4e Combat Manager Page

(you may have to remove the _ characters from the sides of the file name to open the .zip...no idea why SkyDrive is doing that)

The specifics:

• Windows XP and later only

• Requires .NET Framework 3.5 installed (if you have the Character Builder or Monster Builder installed, you have this)

• Can paste 'Copy to Rich Text' data from the Monster Builder on DnDi (button above the list on Library window, also button on individual detail screen).  Now compatible with the new MB release!

• Full initiative tracking.

• Effect tracking, now with automatic drop-off of 'Until Start/End' type effects.

• Powers available/used tracking

• Allows common HP/XP House Rules options to modify monsters (Dropdown titled 'Mod': Demi = 1/2hp+2/3xp, Semi = 1/4hp+1/3xp, Minion = 1hp+1/4xp)

• Displays full statblock on the main window. No need to bounce around looking for information (main reason I wrote this).

• Automatic saving of all entered Statblocks

• Ability to save and load encounter configurations

• Text-entry field for notes on each combatant, as well as encounter-level notes.

Screenshot:

9aplhx.jpg

It is still a work-in-progress. Please let me know what you like, hate, or want.

I'll be monitoring this thread, though the main discussions are happening here:  forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=470335

Thanks!

This is pretty friggen wicked! It reminds me a lot of VCC.... I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I'm going to...

I am the God of Dragons! Hail Wizards and it's mighty awesomeness for finally addressing some of the issues we had with the old forums and website! It's about damn time this place got an overhaul! Wahoo!

This is pretty friggen wicked! It reminds me a lot of VCC.... I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I'm going to...

Thanks!  VCC was actually one of my main inspirations for creating this.

I hope it proves of use. 

So one thing I've got already... it would be really cool if you could import from the Character builder... either via the .dnd4 file or just the copied summery...

I am the God of Dragons! Hail Wizards and it's mighty awesomeness for finally addressing some of the issues we had with the old forums and website! It's about damn time this place got an overhaul! Wahoo!

I've been running a 4e game for a while now, and I use my laptop as my GM screen.

[...]

It is still a work-in-progress. Please let me know what you like, hate, or want.

I am nowadays a casual DM always on the verge of retirement, but this looks nice, fast and usable. I will try to use it for the upcoming D&D Game Day.

PCs data entry may take time (you really need some kind of import), but then combat runs really smooth. Cool You should consider adding a die generator and the capability to alter Stats. 

Keep up the good work (this is something that really comes from the game table experience). I am really looking for the next version. 

Ciao,

Maurizio

So one thing I've got already... it would be really cool if you could import from the Character builder... either via the .dnd4 file or just the copied summery...

So many talented programmers are building the same thing in different ways...I just want to get all of you to move in together for a month, along with the guys making 3D maps of 4e locations, and finish what WotC started back in 2006.

In the meantime, I download/bookmark each app and wait for one of them to float to the top and destroy the rest...

Love all your work, keep it up, find each other, collaborate, and beat WotC at their own game.

Then, take over the company and give me a job answering phones.

I'm looking at doing this in the near future.

However, one thing to keep in mind that the specific details of powers would not be included.  Those are not contained in the .dnd4 file that is saved from the Character Builder.  Names and attack bonuses, yes...actual power text, no.

PCs data entry may take time (you really need some kind of import), but then combat runs really smooth. Cool You should consider adding a die generator and the capability to alter Stats. 

A die generator is pretty easy.  The behind-the-scenes code for it is already there, just need to create an interface for it.

Capability to alter stats?  What do you mean by that?  You can change pretty much everything in a statblock from the Library screen.

In the meantime, I download/bookmark each app and wait for one of them to float to the top and destroy the rest...

I realize your comment may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'd like to think that each app has its own mini audience.  iplay4e was originally geared towards the mobile device audience, but is slowly growing upwards.  inCombat is mainly geared towards the new player or experienced player who just wants a simple interface.  And it seems to me that Mortaneus' DnDCM (preferred shortname?) is geared more towards the player who wants an interface with very detailed control over everything.

You can't serve everyone with the same app, so the way I see it, we just put out the tools and let each user pick the flavor they prefer.

I realize your comment may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'd like to think that each app has its own mini audience.  iplay4e was originally geared towards the mobile device audience, but is slowly growing upwards.  inCombat is mainly geared towards the new player or experienced player who just wants a simple interface.  And it seems to me that Mortaneus' DnDCM (preferred shortname?) is geared more towards the player who wants an interface with very detailed control over everything.

You can't serve everyone with the same app, so the way I see it, we just put out the tools and let each user pick the flavor they prefer.

A valid and poignant observation. I guess I mean I'm looking for the killer for me, and forgot how different our needs might be. I just hope I do find it, with so many different pieces of the one device forging forth independently, at the risk of double-handling.

*Continues cheering from the sidelines, wishing I could code one myself*

Indeed, the thing with me is even that in seperate sessions I need different things so having this many programs to choose from is wicked and just another reason I love 4E comming out. It sparked a whole programmer maddness, which is absolutely AWESOME! haha

So I can't figure out how to designate powers at-will, encounter and daily for PC's.... ?? It just says (Special) next the power in the encounter...

A die generator is pretty easy.  The behind-the-scenes code for it is already there, just need to create an interface for it.

Capability to alter stats?  What do you mean by that?  You can change pretty much everything in a statblock from the Library screen.

Hi Mortaneus,

First of all, I am preparing the data for the upcoming D&D Game Day. The monster copy was smooth and quick, while I confirm that the "hero" data entry is really demanding (of course, I am entering 6th level PCs from scratch and this takes time.)

So please find below some other suggestions for you great tool Wink.

1) By "capability to alter stat" I mean that it could be nice to automatically adjust the character stats as a consequence of an effect. For example, when you use Second Wind, you get a +2 bonus to all defenses and it would be really nice to see the temporarily adjusted defenses values (e.g., AC 18 --> AC 20) highlighted (in red or other color) in the Stats tab. 

2) You need a Feat text box for characters. 

3) You need a place to list the number of available surges and the hit points recovered.

4) One really useful function could be a dynamic index that links the power label in the power tab of the Combat Tracket to its corresponding entry in the character sheet. For example, if you click a power in a long list in the Power tabs, the other sheet could scroll automatically to show that power. 

5) You could differentiate utility powers like that Character Generator. 

6) I also entered consumable items like potions or item powers. Again you could identify them and tag them with a different color (yellow maybe) like the standard power cards. 

Thank you for your attention. I hope this makes sense.

Ciao

So I can't figure out how to designate powers at-will, encounter and daily for PC's.... ?? It just says (Special) next the power in the encounter...

It's a function of the text contained in the 'Action' line.  Specifically, I'm looking for the following specific bits of text:  "; recharge", "; encounter", "; daily", and "; at-will".  (the semicolons are required, as the action is always listed in the format of "standard action; recharge 5" or something like that.

It's not exactly user-friendly, I know....I'll have to see if I can do something about that.

Thank you very much for this great programm! Smile

Adopt one today!

A new version is up, and in a new place!

Yep, I created a webpage for it...on the RPGnet Wiki. smile.gif

You can find it here:

DnD4e Combat Manager Page

I'll be keeping it current there from now on, though I'll probably continue posting to this thread to notify of updates.

Current Version: 1.4.2

Changes:
* Reworked Initiative and Damage tabs to be more distinctive
o Changed initiative and damage/heal entry boxes to be numeric up-down boxes
o Added 5 and +5 to damage/heal tab for fast values
o Added Surge and Maximum to damage/heal tab for fast values
o Removed Slay button to make room (just hit Max then Damage and it'll do the same thing)
* Added Feat line to Stat Block
* Altered Ready functionality to conform to the rules (it doesn't remove from the initiative structure anymore, just marks as *Rdy*. This will clear when next turn starts, or is moved to start of list)
* Several overhauls and cleanups to 'Start of Turn' functionality
* Changing a statblock in the library will now update current combatants
* Changed 'Undo Turn' button to 'Back Up', and reworked functionality (still doesn't undo damage/healing dealt)
* Moved 'Remove Fighter' button to Initiative tab
* Removed 'Roll Initiatives' and 'Reset Encounter' buttons from main screen. They are menu options under the 'Combat' menu, and don't need to be front-and-center, since they're only accessed twice a fight.

Is wizards working on something like this already?..seems like I remember an announcement to that end.  BTW...love what you've done here

A new version is now up, and it includes one of the most oft-requested features...import from the Character Builder!

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.5

Changes:

1. Importing from Character Builder now active! (look for the CB Load button the library window and on the StatBlock edit window)

2. Cleaned up the Damage/Healing number-box logic

3. Second Wind and Action Point will now automatically appear as powers for PCs/Heroes

A quick forewarning for everyone...the import from the Character Builder will be missing some information...mainly the descriptions of powers.

Sorry, but there's not much I can do about that. Those are simply not in the file, and are kept internal to the Character Builder app. I don't have access to them to import them. If you want them in a PC's statblock, you'll have to enter them manually, or cut-and-paste from the compendium.

A new version is up, mostly bug fixes this time.

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.5.1

Changes:

• Corrected problem when importing certain beholders eye-powers

• Negative skill totals should now correctly import without +- problem

• Fixed a problem with certain older Character Builder formats (the "(" in an XML name problem)

• "End of Source's Next Turn" effects should now properly end if the source delays

• Modified settings to attempt to account for increased system-font size (this may or may not fix the problem)

A new version is up.

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.5.2

Changes:

• Updated for new version of Monster Builder

• Added support for multiple-file-select when opening encounters, and when importing from Character Builder from the Library screen. The 'CB Import' button on the actual StatBlock-edit window is still only single-file-select, for obvious reasons.

Note: The monster-type keywords (such as Undead, Fey, etc) will be missing when pasting from the new Monster Builder. It does not include these in the Rich Text (probably a bug on their part), so these details will be missing when pasted to this application.

They also reversed the order of the action details for powers, so 'At-Will' and 'Encounter' are now first, followed by 'Standard' or 'Minor'. This will also be reflected in newly pasted monsters.

This looks like an awesome application, and one I will use if it does what it claims (I'll be able to test it later this evening).

I have but one request/question. Will you make it open source if and when you no longer wish to update it? I ask because eventually programmers (myself included) no longer wish to maintain their work. VCC is open source and allows users to maintain it in the event that it's abandone by the  orginators.

Thanks.

I just played with this the past hour and think it's fantastic! My first suggestion is ....

Can you allow each monster to have a identifier defined by the user, like they do in VCC? I see DnD4eCT assigns monsters of the same type a number from 1 to n, but our monster combantants are labeled with various numbers that don't allays start with #1, and can have more than one character in their ID.

For example, lets say we have 3 monsters. They can be labeled as "R2" "R3" and "W13". How, and why?

We use Dapper Devil bases (tinyurl.com/yl534vf), and each of these bases has a unique number painted on it, and the base is colored. This reults in no ID conflicts. There is only one of each number, and since the base attachments are different sizes (for different DDM base sizes), we do not always have monsters starting at #1.

Keep up the great work!!

First:

This tool is simply fantastic. Just found out about it and tried it and I already love it.

Second:

Features I'd like to see (as you may have expectesd) . . . Sealed

1) Not sure if this is possible mind you, but is it possible to import the descriptions of powers, feats, and items on a character when you import them in to the combat manager? This would save me time swapping back and forth between the Character Builder, Adventure Tools and the Combat Manager.

2) Any chance of Internet / Lan connectivity so that players can upload there character directly to the Combat Manager? As it is I'll just have them email me a copy of the character file.

This tool has enormous possibilities. It's what I was hoping to see from WotC with Whiteboard and chat capabilities. We use Ventrilo (8 user version) for voice talking during our sessions.

Best Init tracker I've found yet. I think its odd that community members are cranking out tools WOTC has been promising for... years?

Thank you!

Feature Request:

Die roller attached to powers for monsters. One for players would be nice to but most rolls are done by players. For damage rolls have it push that value to the damage/heal box you already have.

DDI integration with the compendium would be nice. So that you can grab the power descriptions for player powers quickly.

Future uber request: Click a power, select the targets on the init tracker, and list a little Hit/Miss with the Roll, and damage, and an apply or override. (so you can still be gm and override if you like or maybe there is a situation bonus that you didn't apply). My laptop sucks up my die space ;P

[edited to add a couple feature requests after use]

IM downloading this now and I will try it out!

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Mortaneu, fantastic app.  Love the CB integration.

Are there plans to integrate the Monster Builder so that we don't have to key in each and every monster? I don't make my own creatures, so for me, the time I'd have to spend adding in every monster from MM1,2 and any other book would kill me. 

So, call it lazy, I'm simply asking!  Wink

Wizard's if you're reading this, this app is the shitz, and about 3 steps shy of what most of us need to run laptop games quick and easy.  Give him some access, make him an offer and consider yourselves ahead of the curve for the DDi Tools

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Had to say: Nice Tool! Keep up the good work.

thx

OK, I used this last night with my new laptop Win7, and it worked great.

I was not aware how easy it was to RTF monsters from the builder into the Combat Tracker.

But I saw a few issues with the CB import and I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not.

None of the powers were there, it listed their names, but not their description.  It made things really hard to run having to flop between multiple sources.

Did I do soemthing wrong, is this not suppose to work this way, or??

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

It's a great tool, but could it have a "stop encounter" button that doesn't reset PCs' HPs? It gets under my skin very much... (to see what I'm speaking of, see how inCombat4e works).

After a long wait, a new version is up!

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.5.3

Changes:

• PC hit points will no longer automatically refresh when the fight is done (popular request, this one Laughing)

• Added 'Party' Menu with new Short/Extended Rest options (to handle non-resetting PC health)

• Added 'Select Current' hotkey to quickly pick the currently active fighter

• Modified hotkeys for quicker access

• Unlocked some frame-separators to allow for more customization of the main window

Note:  Just to clarify, if you import from the Character Builder, and aren't getting the descriptions of powers, you're not doing anything wrong.  That's simply how it works, and I can't fix that.

The Character Builder save files do not contain this information, and so I can't pull it into the program. 

I'm looking into ways to grab it from the compendium online, but that's tricky to do, and would require an active DnDi account.

I speak for no one but myself when I say this, but I'd have to assume if people are using this (at a minimum the GM) they have an active DDi account.

While my players have thir printed sheets, and I have a copy on my end to reference...poor trees, I'd think the benefit of seeing the combat power info, with calculated attack values, in DnD4eCT would be great. 

But again, my opinion.

If it helps, you can take a look at the code for my CompendiumSearch tool here:  code.google.com/p/compendiumsearch/

The web-service interface has some quirks, but if you have the ID for an item, it's easy to retrieve the dtails in HTML, like this:

www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/Po...

I don't remember if the CB files contain the compendium IDs, though.
Use this last night's game, a conversion of Pathfinder's Legacy of Fire and it was excellent.  One thing that always has been a problem with other such software has been my houserule of "clumping" all players together in the initiative order, allowing them to take their turns in any order (the original initiative roll just decides which members of the group get an extra turn before the monsters).  The "move to top" option is invaluable to simulate this type of play and to have all the conditions and modifiers still apply correctly: absolutely fantastic!

Like some others (although, I think on another forum), I did find myself so frequently switching between the damage tab and the initiative modification tab.  My suggestion would be to have all the intitiave actions ("move to top", "delay", "roll initiative" etc) on a right-click context menu of the name list.  Then, you could leave the damage tab as the chiefly selected tab (I find it easy enough to reference the preview in the right hand pane to check defences and stats) and right-click names when moving combatants to the reserves, etc.

Also, a hot key to bring up the "add condition" dialog box would be useful to have (I'm the sort of person that prefers to eschew the use of the mouse in favour of keyboard shortcuts whenever practical), and I can't remember if there is a shortcut key for next turn (not got the software in front of me at present), but that would be useful if not (space bar, perhaps).

I speak for no one but myself when I say this, but I'd have to assume if people are using this (at a minimum the GM) they have an active DDi account.

While my players have their printed sheets, and I have a copy on my end to reference...poor trees, I'd think the benefit of seeing the combat power info, with calculated attack values, in DnD4eCT would be great. 

But again, my opinion.

Yeah I most likely will not have a DDI account when I start the game, so that wouldn't help me so much.

Also, this program seems to miss importing the initiative bonus from the demo CB.  Not sure if the file just doesn't store it in that version or what.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
The new version 1.6.0 is up!

You can find it here: DnD4e Combat Manager Page

Changes:
  • When 'Save Encounter' is used on a currently active encounter, all combat data is now saved.

• Added Right-Click menu to the main initiative list for quick access of Move-to-Top, Ready, and Delay options.

• Added a tabbed section to the Statblock-edit window to give more room for data.

• You can now manually preset effects that a PC or Monster can generate, and they will appear on the 'Add Effect' window. These must be manually set up on the Statblock-edit window on one of the new tabs, and will be saved normally. This will allow commonly created effects to be pre-entered for the major combatants of an encounter, saving the GM some typing time when adding effects during play.

• 'Notes' tab has been added to the Statblock-edit window for entry of Tactics, Monster Knowledge, etc. It will appear in the statblock summary, and is saved as normal.

• Improved parsing of Aura powers from rich text (mainly to handle weird formats, such as the Kyuss monsters)

• Fixed a bug with adding effects to PCs before combat begins

Very nice. Can you add "Help" -> "About DnD4e Combat Manager" menu / menu item, that displays the version number?

It can get difficult to figure out whuch version I'm running on my various computers. ;[

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

I love your program. Thank you.

If I would add just one thing;

a way to track players healing surge usage ... I am currently using the global chat area to track them though so that works out well.

The best just got better!  Although I may now have to cause a few TPKs under my current DM so that my turn to run a game comes around again faster just so I can get another chance to use the software!
I love the program as well. But, I'm having problems using it on a Dell laptop with Windows Vista. It ran fine the first time (except upon exiting which I will get to in a moment). The second and succeeding times, the PCs, monsters, & powers the text became invisible (i.e. text color is same as background color). The same thing is happening in the library. Another problem: program crashes when trying to add conditions (e.g. blinded, etc.). The program also produces an error message on exiting and won't always allow me to exit.  The program runs fine with Windows XP on my desktop, but I can't easily bring my desktop to the game store where I play.

See my post in the discussion part of your wiki for full text of exit error message.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I've just found this program, and thus far I've found it to be absolutely amazing. I'll definately be using it in my next gaming session.

One thing I'd love to see is some way to import several monsters at once, because at the moment it can be a little time consuming... either that, or I'm just lazy. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this, but if you could add it, that would be amazing.
A new version is up, mainly just a quick fix to a bit of 1.6.0 functionality.

You can find it here: DnD4e Combat Manager Page

Changes:

* When saving, all PC status information will be saved, regardless of out-of-combat status

Big change:
Now, I have ALSO placed the source code up on the page, freely available for any and all who want to mess with it. It is looking like I may not have much time in the near future to mess with it, and continue updating it, so I'm tossing it out there for whomever wants to play around with the code, see how it works, and possibly make it do all sorts of new and wonderful things. Feel free to do with it as you want, though please toss me an attribution if you use it for your own project. biggrin.gif

I admit that it's messy, and not well commented. It was primarily created for two reasons: 1) So I could manage my DnD combats without pulling out my hair and going through notepads like candy, and 2) To figure out VB.NET

It has done both of these things, and I'm satisfied. Unfortunately, it was NOT written with legibility by others in mind, so it's fairly hack-ish inside. Just a warning. smile.gif

I may get back to it at some point, but it'll likely be a while. Enjoy!
Ohmy, this is bad news. Yuor combat tracker was premium. I really hope you continue to develope it at some point.
Currents problems with the boards(last time i checked): - people with agonizingly long signatures