Custom Monsters have lost their attack descriptions

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

Anyone else found that suddenly all their custom monsters have had their attack descriptions erased? I downloaded the new build yesterday, and at first all was well (indeed, I was overjoyed with the bug fixes and additions). Today I booted it up, and all my custom monsters have no text in their attack entries.

(My campaigns log blog) http://sefotron.blogspot.com/ I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I had the exact same problem.

The name and role information as well as the hps and defenses are all intact.

The power section has the name/type/action/usage information from before the update, but the attack and keyword information has been completely wiped out.

I had built a lot of custom creatures, so I'm not at all pleased!

Anyone else found that suddenly all their custom monsters have had their attack descriptions erased? I downloaded the new build yesterday, and at first all was well (indeed, I was overjoyed with the bug fixes and additions). Today I booted it up, and all my custom monsters have no text in their attack entries.

[cough] BETA [/cough]

Seems to happen when you open a custom monster for editing. I have let the tech guys know (and if you backed up the monster.data file from the older version (found in C:/Users/*your profile folder*/appdata**/roaming/AdventureTools/Data) you can copy it over the new version and get your monsters back...until you edit one again!

** this is a hidden file

I am Blue/Green

[cough] BETA [/cough]

[cough] thanks we know - and were told that monsters created would be safe inspite of this [/cough]

:D

I am Blue/Green

Well, if someone said they'd be safe then it's a slightly different story . . .

Thread ... Will monsters created in the beta be lost?

Q: If I create a monster in the beta monster builder will I lose it when the application goes live?

A: (Posted by WOTC) You should not lose any of your custom monsters when the Monster Builder updates, even for monsters created during the beta period.

And to clarify a couple issues, a custom monster crewated from an existing monsters loses any relation to the monster and is saved as totally seperate creature. This means that if an official monster gets an update (for example an extra +2 to Fortitude), the official monster record will be updated in teh builder, but any customer mosnters created from that specific official monster will not get be changed.

Now, it would be possible that even custom monsters could be affected by an update. For example, if for some reason we needed to update a calculation rule, both the official monsters and the custom monsters would have their information updated.

It looks that all my work is lost and it's useless to create a personal monster database now... any way of restoring what has been lost?

Obviously you are right, and making any custom monsters is going to be a complete waste of time, im so pissed about this. And of course we are completely screwed, hope you printed hard copies or pdfs... Don't even bother typing all the stuff in again, seems like the program is still too unstable.. grrr..

Best thing to do is to head over to THIS THREAD and submit a DxDiag for the tech guys to analyse. With luck we will have our monster builder working again (and with even more luck, some way of getting the lost monsters back)

I am Blue/Green

Sad really, I lost them all to this problem too.

Save your monster as an image. Its about all you can do right now im afraid.

Well, I shouldn't say I am glad that the problem isn't just with my computer, because it sucks that other people have lost their custom monsters too.  I really hope they fix this by the next update.

I am so pissed off about this.

More than 100 custom monsters. And they're all effectively lost.

While I have saved PDF copies of all of them I don't want to have to retype it.

C'mon, WotC, many of us have been patient with you after the vapourware of 3rd edition and, heck, of 4th edition too. I don't care if it's beta; this is basic functionality if you want to keep your customer base. Even eTools didn't lose monsters!!!

Where's Bill? Instead of telling us how important you are in Ampersand articles, why don't you show your clout and get this fixed ASAP.

Edit: This is why I'm also sticking with Obsidian Portal for game logs. There is no way I would trust data to WotC when your track record is so poor when it comes to e-applications. Hopeless.

Regards Scrivener of Doom

None of my attack powers have changed,  but all hit points of my custom made creatures are set at -2147483648 hit points.

Kinda annoying.

Didn't like the Psion or just not subscribing to the DDI? Check out The Mentalist