9/9/2009 Savor the Flavor: "A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

I'm sorry to hear that WotC won't be publishing A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar.  I really enjoyed the Alara guide and was hoping to see more of them.  Unfortunately, this seems to be a recurring theme. WotC will create a new flavor/story item, but they never seem to sell well enough.  It is sad to know you're in the minority when it comes to things like this.

I think it's a downright shame that they won't be publishing the Zendikar guide.  I thought the Alara guide was excellent and well-done, much more so than the pretty meh block novel.  I'm really disappointed, I thought the Alara guide was the start of something awesome.  Getting the Zendikar guide free online is always nice, but actually having a published and illustrated version in my hands..... I'd totally buy it.  I guess nobody else would, though, but I think the problem is that it wasn't marketed to the community well enough.  This is the stuff that Vorthosian dudes like me really enjoy.

"Welcome to Zendikar! An amazing and revolutionary new plane! It also has Elves and Goblins. Again." (granted it still looks amazing but seriously?).

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

I'm a fan of the Kor's return, maybie Nomad will be a viable tribe after this, not that it looks like there's much of anything tribe wise in the set.

Since there's no more novel in the fat pack, I've totally lost interest in the detailed Magic universe, that's too bad. Buying the books separately is way pricier and not worth it to me.


Oh and I had bought the Planewswalker's guide, and found it quite light and not worth it for the price. Good riddance I'd say.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I think it's a pity there won't be a Planeswalkers guide to Zendikar either. I loved the Alara one and since the whole setting of Zendikar so far has me on edge I would've really liked one of those in print as well. Far easier to re-reference later on again.

Gah. This is the last post I'll make on the forums for a few weeks - I'll let others sort out the teething problems. I don't have time to wrestle with redirect loops, timeouts, and mysteriously changed passwords.


 


That said, I'm looking forward to Zendikar. I'm particularly interested in this quote:


"Zendikar makes your magic wild."


Now I'm imagining things like:
Amplifier Land
Land
~ comes into play tapped. When it does, discard a card.
T: Add to your mana pool. If this mana is spent on a spell or activated ability which deals damage, that spell or ability deals 1 more damage.

So let me make sure I've got this straight.

Instead of publishing the Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar, we're getting it for free on DailyMTG. Inconvenient, as I liked having the actual "guidebook" for reference, but not a bad deal. Free is free, right?

In it's place, we're getting a compilation of webcomics. That we've already seen. For free.

With decisions like that, I suspect that it's not the fault of the original Planeswalker's Guide that it sold poorly...

On the plus side, thanks for saving me some cash this go-round.

I think it is good that they are giving away the guide online for the players that were actually interested, even though there were obviously very few of them. Only someone living in a cave for the last couple of years would expect they would keep ANYTHING going that didn't immediately sell, but what is perhaps more of a surprise is that they do account for the people that want something like this. A bit of a loss for them, quite a bit of win for fans of the concept.


Of course buried in all that was a preview card that could have been saved for BDM's column. This is basically a day off from Preview Week 1.

I'm surprised no one here is talking about the preview card, even though it's only a very small part of the topic of the article itself. That guy is a house ! A 2/2 + Cruel Edict for three mana, and it's a vampire... The monoblack vampire deck Wizards has planted in the set with the help of M10 really looks like it's gonna be ridiculous. Most of the Zendikar vampires spoiled so far are among the most powerful black weenies ever printed. I honestly hope we're done seeing vampires of this power level, because I think I'm gonna puke at the next one... Even with less than a third of the list spoiled, I can say it's probably the most powerful tribe in the set by a mile, and there are two more sets full of them to come. Dis-gus-ting. Grab you Vampire Nocturnus while you can, they're gonna skyrocket.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

I buy the books when they seem appealing to me (I skipped the Lorwyn ones because the setting seemed pretty boring).  I didn't buy the Planeswalker's Guide to Alara because from what I saw/heard it didn't really add very much to what you already see on Savor the Flavor and Arcana.  From what I heard the descriptions did not go into much depth and there were lots of nice card images but no maps and not much art beyond what is already available on the cards.  Those are the things I'd want the guide for.


It's nice to get the guide here for free now, though the redundancy with the Zendikar product section is kind of annoying.  Hopefully we can get some more concept sketches and maps and maybe some little stories from different parts of the plane.  This week's portion was kind of a long string of names.