Sealed cardpool

I joined a M10 sealed queue last night and opened this as a cardpool. Despite having some good cards, my attempt to turn them into a coherent deck was a failure. Any advice on how to build a competive deck from this?

Black
2 Drudge Skeletons
2 Weakness
1 Duress
2 Dread Warlock
1 Acolyte of Xathrid
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Warpath Ghoul
1 Howling Banshee
1 Zombie Goliath
1 Black Knight
1 Sign in Blood
1 Sanguine Bond
1 Mind Rot
1 Bog Wraith
1 Liliana Vess
1 Assassinate
1 Underworld Dreams
1 Megrim

Blue
1 Unsummon
1 Wind Drake
1 Fabricate
2 Negate
1 Traumatize
1 Djinn of Wishes
2 Divination
2 Disorient
1 Coral Merfolk
2 Zephyr Sprite
1 Convincing Mirage
1 Wall of Frost
1 Essence Scatter

Green
1 Prized Unicorn
1 Cudgel Troll
1 Fog
1 Centaur Courser
3 Craw Wurm
1 Overrun
1 Mist Leopard
1 Howl of the Night Pack
1 Oakenform
1 Bramble Creeper
1 Regenerate
1 Mold Adder

Red
1 Ball Lightning
1 Stone Giant
1 Viashino Spearhunter
1 Panic Attack
1 Inferno Elemental
1 Shatter
1 Yawning Fissure
3 Trumpet Blast
1 Fireball
2 Lightning Elemental
1 Goblin Piker
1 Wall of Fire
1 Burning Inquiry

White
1 Pacifism
1 Rhox Pikemaster
1 Razorfoot Griffin
1 Stormfront Pegasus
1 Undead Slayer
1 Soul Warden
3 Safe Passage
1 Holy Strength
1 Divine Verdict
1 Solemn Offering
1 Siege Mastodon

Colorless
1 Wurm's Tooth
1 Gorgon Flail
2 Plains
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Island

BGr!  What did you run?

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the deck I went with.

Creatures: (12)
1 Cudgel Troll
1 Centaur Courser
2 Craw Wurm
2 Dread Warlock
1 Bog Wraith
1 Howling Banshee
1 Drudge Skeletons
1 Zombie Goliath
1 Black Knight
1 Warpath Ghoul

Spells: (11)
1 Sign in Blood
1 Liliana Vess
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Assassinate
1 Mind Rot
1 Howl of the Night Pack
1 Fireball
1 Gorgon Flail
2 Weakness
1 Overrun

Land (17)
7 Forest
9 Swamp
1 Mountain

Analysis:
The first weakness is a horrible lack of an aerial offense or defense. The Howling Banshee is the only creature card in the entire deck that can fly. Traditionally green would solve this problem with a couple of spiders, but not in my card pool.

The second weakness is trying to run three colors, despite zero mana fixing. Again, green should be able to solve this with Borderland Rangers, Rampant Growths, and/or Llanowar Elves. Even a Terramorphic Expanse would have been welcome. And again my card pool is lacking.

Finally, I believe ran too many swamps, and overvalued black a bit.

I still can't figure out what I should have done. Thoughts?

Well, you can see that your flyers are in W/U, except none of them outside of the Djinn is terribly impressive and might, at best, trade 1 for 1.  To me, that says you pretty much have to live with flyer decks, especially since your removal is so limited (seems like 1 per color).  

I suppose what you could have done was go GW, loading up on creatures + Overrun and using all those Safe Passages to keep yourself alive in the event of running into a strong flyer deck.  IMO the third color wasn't that big a deal - in effect it cost you 2 cards you could have run otherwise, but maybe you see 2 you would have loved to have back.

In the end, what you ran is probably nearly identical to what I would have done, and since you say it didn't go so well, that might tell you something about any advice I'm giving ;]

The original deck felt like a free win for anyone who was lucky enough to play me.

If I was going to build a white/blue deck, it would look like this. It does fix the lack of fliers, but is still seems light on creatures, and light on removal unless we count safe passages.

Creatures: 12
1 Rhox Pikemaster
1 Stormfront Pegasus
1 Undead Slayer
1 Djinn of Wishes
1 Soul Warden
1 Siege Mastodon
2 Zephyr Sprite
1 Wind Drake
1 Wall of Frost
1 Coral Merfolk
1 Razorfoot Griffin

Spealls: 11
1 Pacifism
1 Unsummon
1 Negate
3 Safe Passage
2 Divination
1 Holy Strength
1 Essence Scatter
1 Divine Verdict

Land:
9 Island
8 Plains

A red/green build would look this. This deck simply tries to overrun the opponent with creatues, but it ignores fliers and lacks a good early game. If you can live long enough to get the big guys out, you should be ok though. It even has a combo, just put the Gorgon Flail on the Inferno Elemental.

Creatures: 15
1 Prized Unicorn
1 Viashino Spearhunter
1 Cudgel Troll
1 Centaur Courser
1 Mist Leopard
2 Lightning Elemental
1 Stone Giant
1 Wall of Fire
1 Inferno Elemental
1 Bramble Creeper
1 Mold Adder
3 Craw Wurm

Spells: 8
1 Fireball
2 Trumpet Blast
1 Howl of the Night Pack
1 Gorgon Flail
1 Overrun
1 Oakenform
1 Regenerate

Land:
9 Forest
8 Mountain

Thoughts?

How about this?

Creatures (13):

3 Craw Wurm

1 Prized Unicorn

1 Cudgel Troll

1 Mist Leopard

1 Centaur Courser

1 Mold Adder

1 Rhox Pikemaster

1 Razorfoot Griffin

1 Stormfront Pegasus

1 Soul Warden

1 Seige Mastodon

Spells/Artifacts (11):

1 Pacifism

1 Divine Verdict

3 Safe Passage

1 Solemn Offering

1 Overrun

1 Fog

1 Oakenform

1 Howl of the Night Pack

1 Gorgon Flail

Lands:

9 Forest

7 Plains

White weenies can create an early defense plus you have a little bit of flying until the bigger Greens come out; a couple removals; and 4 different ways to nullify damage in case your opponent comes out strong early.  Granted, it could draw completely backward but maybe it would work?

Overrun and cudgel troll are hugely tempting, but the fact is that your green is too shallow (I don't care much for craw wurm, wouldn't want to run more than one, let alone three).

I would have gone BUr. That gives you 3 draw-2 cards to help you better draw a mountain to use fireball. I would have also made a BUW deck for sideboard (solemn offering, 2 pieces of removal, 3x safe passage, 2 more fliers, all at one color casting cost). BW is also an option, but doesn't splash the fireball as well as UB.

The first thing I do, after looking at bombs, is count the playables. Green has a bomb and a near-bomb, but only 5 cards that I would normally want to play. Black has 14, white has 11, blue has 9, and red has 3. Combine black with either white or blue, and you have a decent 2-colored sealed deck.

Sign In to post comments