Thronewar - Inspire

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

After a while of trying to fill in some holes in my other sets, I wanted to sit down and start another one (since you can usually design more cards for a new set than you can for one nearing completion). Thronewar takes place on the plane of Haruz, where the great throne of the Godcity lies empty. The previous Lord of Haruz is dead, and the strained peace that he has held his plane in for a century has ended. Now the plane is embroiled in a bitter world war, and each person of each race and each monster must throw in in the bid to claim the throne and bend Haruz to their own will. Planeswalkers coming to Haruz offer the armies a unique gift, and many find themselves trusted with or coerced into positions of command, leading vast armies against each other.

Inspire

Of course, with the size of the armies on Haruz, even a planeswalker can't micromanage every campaign, and many work with the various sergeants, lieutenants and commanders beneath them in order to inspire their troops to greatness and to victory.

Inspire X (When this permanent enters the battlefield, X other creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Inspire represents the range of troops a commander can assist, spurring them on to fight that bit harder. Many of these inspiring figures also provide other abilities to creatures they are inspiring, modifying how they inspire similar to creatures with Exalted.

Levian Commando Symbol_3_mana.gifSymbol_U_mana.gif
Creature - Merfolk Soldier C
Inspire 1 (When this permanent enters the battlefield, another creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Symbol_U_mana.gif: Return Levian Commando to your hand.
“Ever does that one move across the field, ready to fill any gaps in our ranks.” — General Sirevo of Levia
2/2

Lich Lieutenant Symbol_4_mana.gifSymbol_B_mana.gif
Creature - Zombie Cleric U
Inspire 2 (When this permanent enters the battlefield, two creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.)
When a creature inspired by Lich Lieutenant is put into a graveyard from play, you may return it to play under your control.
1/2

Goblin Grenadier Symbol_1_mana.gifSymbol_R_mana.gif
Creature - Goblin Shaman R
Inspire 1 (When this permanent enters the battlefield, another creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Creatures get +2/+0 and have trample while inspired by Goblin Grenadier.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice all creatures inspired by Goblin Grenadier.
1/1

Endseer of Dholrim Symbol_4_mana.gifSymbol_W_mana.gif
Creature - Hound Cleric M
Inspire 3 (When this permanent enters the battlefield, three other creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.)
When Endseer of Dholrim enters the battlefield, destroy all other uninspired creatures.
“I tell you truly, the end times are nigh! The filth will be wiped from the earth, but the faithful will receive all its kingdoms!” — Blind Wofran
1/1

Of course, with inspiring creatures, you need something to inspire. A number of creatures in the set gain their own benefits when inspired. Others provide benefits for attacking

Eager Bastion Symbol_1_mana.gifSymbol_W_mana.gif
Creature - Human Soldier C
Defender (This creature can’t attack.)
When Eager Bastion becomes inspired, it loses defender. (This effect doesn’t end at end of turn.)
As the trumpet sounded, they threw down their pikes, drew forth their swords and charged into the fray.

3/3

Eralian Greenhorn Symbol_R_mana.gif
Creature - Minotaur Warrior C
Eralian Greenhorn can't attack while uninspired.
Goran failed to see a convincing reason to leave the trenches and fight when he could just as easily stay in the camp and eat beans.
2/2

Allesti Battlesower Symbol_G_mana.gif
Creature - Elf Druid C
When Allesti Battlesower attacks, you may add Symbol_G_mana.gif to your mana pool at the beginning of your next main phase.
Where there is mana there is conflict, but in that conflict the bonds grow stronger.
1/2

Anyway, that's just a couple of the cards I have for it at the moment. Please feel free to provide any comment/criticism/question/etc, cause design rarely works well as a one-man show. Cheers.

The way Lich Lieutenant is worded makes it seems like even once the inspired creatures are no longer inspired they would still come back from the dead. Is that how it is supposed to be or is that just me seeing things?

The ability seems interesting. It seems like it has some more space than exalted did. Which is good. Look forward to seeing more suicidal goblins : )

I like the concept.  Just thought I'd point out, but Eager Bastion = Eralian Greenhorn in terms of abilities.

Symbol_1_mana.gifSymbol_2_mana.gifSymbol_3_mana.gifSymbol_4_mana.gifSymbol_5_mana.gifSymbol_6_mana.gifSymbol_7_mana.gifSymbol_X_mana.gifSymbol_W_mana.gifSymbol_U_mana.gifSymbol_B_mana.gifSymbol_R_mana.gifSymbol_G_mana.gifWUUBBRRGGWWBBGGUURRW2W2U2B2R2GTapUntap

Ah, yeah, Lich Lieutenant's ability should probably read "While a creature is inspired by ~, if it is put into a graveyard from play, you may return it to play under its owner's control."

And I completely forgot about Eager Bastion when doing Eralian Greenhorn, although Eager Bastion is still better because it can attack once it's inspired once, whereas the Greenhorn needs to be inspired each time it wants to attack. I'll make up for it with these other "while inspired" creatures.

Orune Spy Symbol_2_mana.gifSymbol_U_mana.gif
Creature - Human Rogue C
Whenever Orune Spy attacks or becomes inspired, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Orune offers more than seers to the conflicts of Haruz. Its spies are masters at cutting off the commanders from the front lines.
1/2

Seige Baloth Symbol_4_mana.gifSymbol_G_mana.gifSymbol_G_mana.gif
Creature - Beast U
Trample
Siege Baloth is indestructible as long as it’s inspired.
Conventional siege weapons take effort to maintain, while the baloth can be fed on the very structures it destroys.
5/4

And another Inspire creature for good measure.

Momento Trawler Symbol_3_mana.gifSymbol_U_mana.gif
Creature - Merfolk Wizard U
Flash, inspire 1 (When this permanent enters the battlefield, another creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
While a creature is inspired by Momento Trawler, if it is put into a graveyard from play, you may draw two cards.
1/1

Orune spy seems rather powerful for a common card. Id hate to face someone who picked up two (or three) of those in limited. They would burn through decks. I like both the siege baloth and the memento trawler. Very useful (even if Im not fond of indestructibility). Are you by any chance submitting your work to the YtMC playtesters group? I think it would be interesting to do both limited and constructed with.

Sign In to post comments