Advice/tips/help with a lvl 7 rageblood barbarian appreciated :)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello! I am playing a human rageblood barbarian, and would like some feedback to how i have built him. Is there anything that you think should be changed for my barbarian to become better? Also, is there any items you recommend i should get? One last thing; we just got new minis, and mine looks really awesome Only thing is that my mini wields an axe, while my character uses a mordenkrad. I have been thinking about changing weapon, is this advisable?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Cohen, level 7
Human, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Background: Former Barbarian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 17, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 20 Fort: 21 Reflex: 17 Will: 15
HP: 73 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +8, Endurance +10, Athletics +11, Nature +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +3, Religion +2, Stealth +3, Streetwise +3, Thievery +3

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 4: Toughness
Level 6: Action Surge

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Bonus At-Will Power: Recuperating Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Avalanche Strike
Barbarian daily 1: Swift Panther Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Combat Sprint
Barbarian encounter 3: Hammer Fall
Barbarian daily 5: Thunder Hawk Rage
Barbarian utility 6: Indomitable Shift
Barbarian encounter 7: Curtain of Steel

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Magic Mordenkrad +2, Amulet of Protection +1, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Bestial Hide Armor +2, Throwing hammer (6), Short sword, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

My suggestion, if you want to switch weapons (Which actually, is kinda recommended.. Hammers are only good if you have an Avalanche Hammer, from AV2, in my opinion. And once you reach paragon.) is an executioner axe, 1d12, High crit, brutal 2, takes the same feat as a mordenkrad.

Also, you could substitute powerful charge for action surge, it'd make you more of a charger. With howling strike, not sure that's a bad thing. I don't know the exact ruling on avalanche hammer with at wills that are counted as MBA's.. I haven't looked closely at that yet.

Things I would consider changing:

Retrain Combat Sprint to Endure Pain. The resistance is a lot more useful once per day, than the per encounter sprint.
Retrain Swift Panther Rage to Blood Hunt Rage. Between pressing strike, indomitable shift, and boots of adept charging, you have plenty of mobility. The extra bit of damage from Blood Hunt Rage is good to have.

Equipment I'd consider upgrading to:

Badge of the Berserker: Ignoring opportunity attacks during a charge makes it easier for you to help your party focus fire. It's an excellent neck item you should consider getting.
Deathcut Armor: Beastial Hide Armor is nice for the extra daily offense, but  seeing how you currently have no resistances at all, I'd recommend Deathcut. As a front line character with low AC, you don't want to be too much of a drain on your party healer, so some defensive considerations are in order.
Gauntlets of Blood: When combined with the Blood Hunt Rage, these gloves will let you tear down bloodied enemies fast, which means more temporary hit points, and more chances to use Swift Charge.
Vanguard Mordenkrad: Should be on your wish list, extra 1d8 damage on a charge is hard to say no to.

On the topic of Changing Weapon:

It would take you 3 retrains to get out of hammers and into axes, and you would suffer in between. I'd say not worth it. While High crit is nice on the execution axe, I think the slightly higher average on the Mordenkrad would pay off especially with higher [W] powers. Besides, it's easy enough to do a weapon swap conversion on your mini, find a mini with a hammer you like, snip, use plastic glue, done.

Why not Avalanche Hammer Mordenkrad instead of Vanguard Mordenkrad?

Cancel, I finally checked the rules on it.

Avalanche hammer says use melee basic attack, howling strike says use in place of, not as a, unless they're trying to word it a different way.

Instead of going for Bloodhunt Rage, I recommend Rage Drake Frenzy. The bit of extra damage Bloodhunt grants is nice, but Rage Drake Frenzy is good for 1-3 extra attacks in an average encounter. I've seen Bloodhunt in play, and I like it, but I've never once regretted Rage Drake Frenzy.

One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Hi, thanks for all the advice! Ill just bump this up a bit with this:

mount, yay or nay?

It seems like a good and cool investment, but I'm thinking it might be a little problematic indoors. Not to mention that it is a lot of money spent on something that can die. If you think i should get a mount; when and what? And i guess i will also have to get the mounted combat feat?

I say yay. The flavor of playing polo with a goblin, with your hammer while you're on your mount.. Is just.. too.. inticing.

I just picked up a giant any for my gnoll ranger. It's a blast. The extra movement is awesome, and the extra range I get (from having a larger base, and thus being able to attack more enemies) is even better. And fortunately a giant any doesn't suffer from the normal mount penalties for being underground.

They are nice to have, but certainly not required. And if your DM isn't willing to houserule, you might not be able to ride anything at this level (because the mount rules don't really give them the ability to carry real weights).

One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Mounts are cool until they get eaten by something bigger... /sadface

Are you sure your heart's set on Barbarian?  A Two-Weapon Ranger with craghammers is brutal... make him a Dwarf with Dwarven Weapon Training... Boosh!

Are you sure your heart's set on Barbarian?  A Two-Weapon Ranger with craghammers is brutal... make him a Dwarf with Dwarven Weapon Training... Boosh!

Yeah, i am already playing him in a game, and it is pretty fun only saw that i did quite less damage than my rogue companion, so came here to check if i had not made a very nasty mistake when i built him.