In What Setting (Or Plane) Do Modules H1-3 Take Place?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

As the subject asks, in which setting (or plane) do modules H1-3 take place?  I'm running them for my group right now and if they venture outside them I was wondering if there was any printed material about the world in which they take place outside the modules themselves.  I know the mini-adventure in the DMG takes place in the same world, but is there anything else?

Well, at least H1 and H2 take place on the same generic plane as Kobold Hall.

Generally speaking, the "Material Plane".

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

So, then, not the Shadowfell plane?

It's the default - "Points of Light" setting. 

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

Okay, is there information for this setting?

there's a bit in chapter 11 of the DMG

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

Thanks!

my pleasure

Remember, PoL is not really a setting. Its just a default theme that is assumed for all the generic 4e fluff. It is a way of providing a set of fairly self-consistent resources to DMs so they can run adventures without a lot of up front work to develop a concept for a campaign setting and fill in general background info. The Nentir Vale in the DMG is the most concrete of those resources, a mini-setting suitable as a generic location to situate modules in. You could use it as the nucleus of a homebrew setting, pull certain things out to use in a more custom setting (like the town for instance) or ignore it entirely.

The expectation is you'll make whatever additions or changes are required in the published modules to fit your own setting. If you really don't have anything then it makes sense to take advantage of the Nentir Vale. Presumably it is a location in some sort of fairly generic fantasy world and located on the material plane. They do also give you enough information to locate H1-H3 in that geography. Overall those modules are pretty generic and don't depend a whole lot on what the rest of the setting looks like. If I were going to use them in my game I'd make some fairly extensive modifications so they actually tied in with other stuff. As they are now they're more like almost disconnected combat scenarios with a really thin (almost nonexistent) plot and hardly any RP potential.

That is not dead which may eternal lie

The expectation is you'll make whatever additions or changes are required in the published modules to fit your own setting. If you really don't have anything then it makes sense to take advantage of the Nentir Vale. Presumably it is a location in some sort of fairly generic fantasy world and located on the material plane. They do also give you enough information to locate H1-H3 in that geography. Overall those modules are pretty generic and don't depend a whole lot on what the rest of the setting looks like. If I were going to use them in my game I'd make some fairly extensive modifications so they actually tied in with other stuff. As they are now they're more like almost disconnected combat scenarios with a really thin (almost nonexistent) plot and hardly any RP potential.

I dunno. H2 and H3 both have reasonably complex plots, about what you can expect from a self-contained event. Probably more complex than you'd find in a stand alone episode of any given television show. I actually found that by failing to get the PCs involved in the actual plot of H2 it was impossible to get them to go any further into the module than The Horned Hold, unlike H1 where even if they have no interaction with the people back in town they're going to keep pressing deeper into the more-or-less linear space. H3, as a more contained environment, does allow for a "yeah, yeah, whatever, we loot the bodies" style of game, but the nature of the set-up, the events of the first real encounter, and the overall nature of the environment provides an adequate enough story to drive the adventure. How deeply they get sucked into that story is up to the group.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I'm concerned there's only so much that's fair to expect from an isolated module. It has to be a self-contained environment, conflict, and (anti)resolution.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Side note, you can tell they don't take place in the Shadowfell as you might think because the plot involves

SPOILER WARNING

stopping a rift to the shadowfell from being opened and all sorts of nasty things pouring out.  If you were already in the shadowfell, they wouldn't need a rift, would they? They could just walk.

Remember, PoL is not really a setting. Its just a default theme that is assumed for all the generic 4e fluff. It is a way of providing a set of fairly self-consistent resources to DMs so they can run adventures without a lot of up front work to develop a concept for a campaign setting and fill in general background info. The Nentir Vale in the DMG is the most concrete of those resources, a mini-setting suitable as a generic location to situate modules in. You could use it as the nucleus of a homebrew setting, pull certain things out to use in a more custom setting (like the town for instance) or ignore it entirely.

For instance, I am using a demo fight in Fallcrest of my own design along with divergent starting stories to bring the party together, then start with Koblod Hall, lead to Keep on the Shadowfell and include the extra encounters from Dungeon 155 called "Shadow of Kalarel" (which is still free to download).  With a fair amount of tinkering, I have fixed and whittled the encounters and Quest experience so that if they go through every Skill and Combat based encounter and do every Quest hook I give them, they will be at exactly 5th level.  That should give me time to create the rest of what I want for them withing the Nentir Vale (at least up to 11th level).

So yeah, it is really useful to use them as a springboard. Laughing

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Yet, when we played H1, we managed to travel to both the Astral Sea and the Feywild as part of the encounters defined in the module ;)

Yet, when we played H1, we managed to travel to both the Astral Sea and the Feywild as part of the encounters defined in the module ;)

How'd that happen?

Astral Sea -- One of the PCs had died, and the DM used this as a way to explain the character coming back, and a few minor side notes (tied to character background) developed.

Feywild -- New PC added to the party ... someone who had been tracking Kalarel's "rift opening" effects on that plain, and stumbled across the PC due to a planar instability. A few encounters were run in the Feywild before the PCs found their way back to the keep.

In other words -- it was all the DM's magnificent way of getting a few events to flow with the story, but while sticking to the H1 module at the same time. Made perfect sense.

Sign In to post comments