Aging penalties

53 posts / 0 new
Last post

Are there any penalties to ability scores from aging in 4e ??

If it wasn't for Shadowfax, Gandalf never would have made it. Shadowfax, the real hero of LotR.

No.  Most adventurers are going to either die before they come into play, or hit Level 30 first.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Don't you mean aging bonuses for spellcasters?  Foot in mouth

Don't you mean aging bonuses for spellcasters? 

Well, yeah, I was avoiding that for fear of edition war.  The slightest spark can set them off ...

If you want to play an old man then your old man should be able to be able to have as much impact in the world and on the plot as the other characters in the party. I'm sure you could think of a few elderly characters from fiction who had no problem keeping up with their younger counterparts.

For instance, Shepherd Book from Firefly. He's a 64 year old preacher hanging around with space cowboys/pirates and easily holding his own - shooting kneecaps and punching out spies.

Now, if you want your elderly character to be frail, then you just go ahead and give him a low constitution. You can even use those ability points to increase his intelligence to represent all he's learned over his years. The important thing is that being elderly doesn't automatically make him more or less able than the other characters.

The Expanded Psionics Group You don't have to be psychic to join, but it helps!

Now, if you want your elderly character to be frail, then you just go ahead and give him a low constitution. You can even use those ability points to increase his intelligence to represent all he's learned over his years. The important thing is that being elderly doesn't automatically make him more or less able than the other characters.

Now I want to make an old man tactical warlord who rarely hits himself but orders the others around :p

58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!

Now I want to make an old man tactical warlord who rarely hits himself but orders the others around

I would want a warlord who *never* hits himself, even if he never hits others either. Innocent
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Now I want to make an old man tactical warlord who rarely hits himself but orders the others around :p

That's a tough one - started here - I figure with Insight and History, I should be able to get some skill powers to be more effective (L2), and made sure to focus with weapon for the added to hit.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Human, Warlord
Build: Tactical Warlord
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Background: Instructor's Child (Insight class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 11.

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Diplomacy +5, Heal +8, History +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance -1, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Human: Tactical Assault
Level 1: Focused Expertise (Longsword)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Opening Shove
Warlord at-will 1: Furious Smash
Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord daily 1: Concentrated Attack

ITEMS
Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Light Shield
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

If you want to play an old man then your old man should be able to be able to have as much impact in the world and on the plot as the other characters in the party. I'm sure you could think of a few elderly characters from fiction who had no problem keeping up with their younger counterparts.

For instance, Shepherd Book from Firefly. He's a 64 year old preacher hanging around with space cowboys/pirates and easily holding his own - shooting kneecaps and punching out spies.

You win the thread, despite losing points for a Firefly reference.  That's exactly right.

Now I want to make an old man tactical warlord who rarely hits himself but orders the others around

I would want a warlord who *never* hits himself, even if he never hits others either.

um, so do people have a habit of making characters that hit themselves all the time? is this an issue with the warlord class? Does he sacrifice his own hp by hitting himself so that others will be better in battle?

Wink

um, so do people have a habit of making characters that hit themselves all the time? is this an issue with the warlord class? Does he sacrifice his own hp by hitting himself so that others will be better in battle?

Yeah I don't get it either, I always make characters that hit on the monsters...

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

Warlord can reasonably pull it off, and you can always reflavor you're attacks as someone elses, or getting the enemy to hit himself.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Yeah I don't get it either, I always make characters that hit on the monsters...

Dude, TMI.

Isn't that how the half-orc race got started?

Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg

You win the thread, despite losing points for a Firefly reference.  That's exactly right.

Nobody can ever lose points for a Firefly reference.  It's one of the laws of the universe.

Nobody can ever lose points for a Firefly reference.  It's one of the laws of the universe.

Then I break that law.  I hated that show.

Warlord can reasonably pull it off, and you can always reflavor you're attacks as someone elses, or getting the enemy to hit himself.

It would be fun to bully the monsters that way:  "Stop hitting yourself!  Stop hitting yourself!  Stop hitting yourself!"

I hated that show.

Since the OP's question has been answered, I guess I'll bite: why?
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.

I hated that show.

Since the OP's question has been answered, I guess I'll bite: why?

It didn't fit my definition of science fiction (where were the blasters?  the FTL? the aliens?), plus the only reason the protagonists qualified as the 'good guys' was because they weren't as bad as the bad guys, as opposed to actually being good.

Plus, I just don't think Joss Whedon can write.  I haven't liked anything he's touched.

It didn't fit my definition of science fiction (where were the blasters?  the FTL? the aliens?), plus the only reason the protagonists qualified as the 'good guys' was because they weren't as bad as the bad guys, as opposed to actually being good.

Plus, I just don't think Joss Whedon can write.  I haven't liked anything he's touched.

Funny, that's exactly why I did like it. As for JW's writing ability, he's hit or miss IMO. I've really really loved some of his stuff (like Firefly), and really really hated other stuff (like Buffy).

*holds arms over face to deflect barrage of flying objects from hardcore Buffy fans*

Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

It might not have hit your idea of Scifi, but it was never going to it in the first place.  

In some ways ALOT of good Science Fiction wouldnt make your day.  Foundation by Isaac Asimov, Dune by Frank Herbert... and many more.  

Science Fiction is much more then Blasters and FTL.   Just as fantasy is more then LotR

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I've only actually seen a few episodes, but it looked very much like an outer space western to me.  Certainly influenced by the A Team, but the setting was largely unimportant.  It had that western feel to it.  Justice was rough and scarce from the few bits I'd seen, and sometimes the good guys need to do bad things to make things right. 
Also, the good guys were just a little bit not good, which is fairly true of any western hero.  Killing people on a regular basis was almost a prerequisite to have a western about you.  Unless your name was Kwai Chang Caine, of course.

Oh, and if people want to know how I got that single line break, since I've heard people complaining about the enforced paragraph breaks, then it was shift-enter. 

Reality is a reference point, not a limitation.

I've only actually seen a few episodes, but it looked very much like an outer space western to me.  Certainly influenced by the A Team, but the setting was largely unimportant.  It had that western feel to it.  Justice was rough and scarce from the few bits I'd seen, and sometimes the good guys need to do bad things to make things right. 
Also, the good guys were just a little bit not good, which is fairly true of any western hero.  Killing people on a regular basis was almost a prerequisite to have a western about you.  Unless your name was Kwai Chang Caine, of course.

Oh, and if people want to know how I got that single line break, since I've heard people complaining about the enforced paragraph breaks, then it was shift-enter. 

It was in fact very Space Western.  And I love that show.
So I guess we outnumber Salla, currently.  Who needs an edition war when you can have a "Joss Whedon Fanboy/girl" war? Wink

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

It was in fact very Space Western.  And I love that show.
So I guess we outnumber Salla, currently.  Who needs an edition war when you can have a "Joss Whedon Fanboy/girl" war?

I'm quite used to it.

What I don't understand is why it has to have all those things to be good.  Could Star Wars have been good if storm troopers had had normal firearms instead of blasters and there was no hyperspace? I don't see why not. 

Why does something have to have all the classic tropes to be good?  Can't someone try to do something a bit different? Last I checked, different is quite often a good thing.

What I don't understand is why it has to have all those things to be good.  Could Star Wars have been good if storm troopers had had normal firearms instead of blasters and there was no hyperspace? I don't see why not. 

Why does something have to have all the classic tropes to be good?  Can't someone try to do something a bit different? Last I checked, different is quite often a good thing.

It doesn't have to have all those things to be 'good'.  It has to have those things for me to like it.

It doesn't have to have all those things to be 'good'.  It has to have those things for me to like it.

Does this mean you dislike the "Alien" series of movies?

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Yes.  Despite the sci-fi trappings, they were horror movies, and I don't do horror movies.

Yes.  Despite the sci-fi trappings, they were horror movies, and I don't do horror movies.

Back to the Future?  Minority Report? Total Recall? E.T.? The Matrix? Terminator? The Fifth Element?

Edit: and so we don't completly derail this thread, I figure that the player's characters are not going to be going through from 1-30 levels for more than a year of in-game time.  I.E. I figure that the longest it would take for a PC (not some shmuck NPC) to reach 30th level will not exceed 12 months.  So I see no reason for aging penalties.

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

Back to the Future?  Minority Report? Total Recall? E.T.? The Matrix? Terminator? The Fifth Element?

Didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't like it, didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't see it.

Didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't like it, didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't see it.

Blade Runner? War of the Worlds? Close Encounters of the Third Kind?  STAR WARS??

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

Blade Runner? War of the Worlds? Close Encounters of the Third Kind?  STAR WARS??

Didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't like it, loved it.  Basically, Star Wars and Star Trek define sci-fi for me.  If it's not pretty close to one of those two, I'm not really interested.

Didn't see it, didn't see it, didn't like it, loved it.  Basically, Star Wars and Star Trek define sci-fi for me.  If it's not pretty close to one of those two, I'm not really interested.

Respectfully understanding your definition of Sci-fi, you are very close-minded in this regard, and I will remember not to take your suggestions about sci-fi movies in the future, or at least not only your suggestions.

So, back to talking about aging?

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

Respectfully understanding your definition of Sci-fi, you are very close-minded in this regard,

Yes, yes I am.  Eh, you and I like different things, ain't nothin' wrong with that.

I would want a warlord who *never* hits himself, even if he never hits others either.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who read it that way. ;)

DnD4.0 campaign report and commentary: http://notesofdoom.blogspot.com/

Watch the Fifth Element, seriously, it's one of the best science-fiction films I know Smile

If ever you're going to listen to my ramblings, this would be the time!

(It has space ships? No blasters though. Tongue out)

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

Watch the Fifth Element, seriously, it's one of the best science-fiction films I know Smile

If ever you're going to listen to my ramblings, this would be the time!

(It has space ships? No blasters though. Tongue out)

It also has aliens.

And Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman.

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

Kwai Chang Caine is the man.

And how does anyone not see Back to the Future?  I mean seriously.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.  It's Space Fantasy.  

Yeah, I said it.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.  It's Space Fantasy.  

Yeah, I said it.

Otherwise known as Space Opera.

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

Ammusingly star treck and firefly are both examples of space westerns, firefly simply put more emphasis on the western part

I haven't lost my mind I've simply misplaced it