9/8/2009 SF: "Killer Angels"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Honestly a bit disappointed with this card. Solitary Confinement in chaos? No thanks.

And also, Rosewater lied, it's 10 mana for four 4/4s...

He meant after you complete the quest.  He *did* say he wasn't telling you everything.  Not a lie at all

This card is insane! I always enjoy putting cards from a new set into my many and varied MPM decks, but Zendikar makes me scared that I can't survive unless I put cards in to combat the cards from the new set that other people will play. God help you if someone gets this AND Iona, Angel of Unfun together. With so few ways to deal with some of these new threats, denying someone access to a color might be pretty damn close to a death sentence.

(And for the record, I do not get scared like this every set - this is the first time that a visual spoiler has prompted equal parts dread and excitment. Usually, it's pure excitement)

Check out my Multiplayer Magic articles on the new site http://www.gatheringmagic.com/
"Make people wait for what they want, and you have power over them. This is as true for merchants and militia as it is for cooks and couples." —Gwendlyn Di Corci

playtest name: Very Sacred Mesa? ;p

This card isn't even worth talking about.  But just for the sake of it.

Will it get played?  YES!!!

Will it rock someone's world?  YES!!!

I mean seriously, this condition is a freaking joke in a control deck, and with the right cards you know this is going to see play....it's crazy.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Check out my set! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27691729/Set_-_Realms_of_Elandra

Looks like I'm going to have to pack more burn, and creatures that can ping damage w/o attacking.  This card will be insane in control/pro-Sigil of the empty Throne.  Makes me wish Necroplasm would make a return to standard.

the card is absolutely cheated in multiplayer with 3 or more opponent it will be activated in 2 or 3 turns even if half of the opponents have some ways to prevent the quest to advance.

Just built a deck idea around it and another card I found in the visual spoiler, wondered what everyone thought.

Creatures (16)

Iona, Shield of Emeria x4
Baneslayer Angel x4
Stoic Angel x4
Wall of Denial x4

Spells (20)

Silence x4
Trace of Abundance x4
Rampant Growth x4
Garruk Wildspeaker x4
Luminarch Ascension x4

Lands (24)

Seaside Citadel x4
Sunpetal Grove x4
Glacial Fortress x4
Forest x4
Plains x8

Cool card, very strong in chaos multiplayer indeed. Perhaps strong enough to get banned by some groups... I don't think I'd dare to build a deck around this to play with mine, which is rather softcore.

Some suggestions :

- Very similar to Solitary Confinement but with different strenghts and weaknesses, an other great card to make sure you'll get enough quest counters on Luminarch Ascension is Glacial Chasm.

- Each time I see a card with both the word 'counter' and the word 'token' on it, I immediatly think Doubling Season, am I the only one ? Cool

Monowhite or not, those angels are evil, really.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

Got to chime in with my semi-regular posting about a one-off Kamigawa card being gaining a new usefulness. That set gets so much hate, but hardly a month (or even a couple of weeks) go by that one of these deck-building columns doesn't mention a Kamigawa card.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Just built a deck idea around it and another card I found in the visual spoiler, wondered what everyone thought.

Creatures (16)

Iona, Shield of Emeria x4
Baneslayer Angel x4
Stoic Angel x4
Wall of Denial x4

Spells (20)

Silence x4
Trace of Abundance x4
Rampant Growth x4
Garruk Wildspeaker x4
Luminarch Ascension x4

Lands (24)

Seaside Citadel x4
Sunpetal Grove x4
Glacial Fortress x4
Forest x4
Plains x8

*raises hand* Mark of Asylum anyone?

Should have thought of that as sideboard however the weakness I still see is direct damage getting to me without counterspells in the deck effectively stopping luminarch ascension.  With lorwyn block phasing out of standard forge tender will no longer be an option.

Sign In to post comments