Planechase Release Weekend Stories

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is a place to post your awesome Planechase stories and pictures from the Release weekend!

... Of course, as of this posting, almost nobody has any awesome Planechase stories or pictures. But this thread will be waiting when you do!

Well, in the imaginary game I had in my head, I kept rolling chaos on Sanctum of Serra when I was trying to planeswalk away.  Grr!
Wow, I can't believe it's here already.  Before we know it, all of Zendikar block will suddenly be here.

Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Proxy playing it has been great fun. Very swingy, very random. We used my Big Box (a very large, random assortment of cards). Our (1vs1) results so far...

Sanctum of Serra- boring opening plane. Never seemed to reset when you wanted it to, but you always hoped to get there.

Grixis- Fairly one sided ability

Shiv/ Lethe Lake/ Sea of Sand- Ends games fast. I assume Tazeem fits in this catergory as well.

Fields of Summer- Funny opener, we essential started the game at 22-32 life.

The Maelstrom - never worked for me, my wife hit every time

Having lots of mana seems to be the key, to either A) planeswalk away when you need to or B) trigger those Chaos rolls.

An all around good deck seems like it would have lots of mana acceleration and huge creatures. Red/Green seems to have the edge in general, benefiting from/neutral with everything except The Dark Barony/ and The Fourth Sphere

Looking forward to these planes and any in the future.

In some proxy playing of our own in two-headed giant, we've discovered Goldmeadow to be the butt of many a joke.  ...stupid goats.  Our first encounter with it made us want to flee ASAP, but no one could hit the magic planeswalking number (in our case 6.  And 1 was Chaos)  So the land was littered with goats.

Finally, my opponent hit the magic number and we shifted to Velis Vel!  Argh!  The goats were huge.  And he thoroughly pummeled our team, having more goats than we, as well as some slightly swollen elementals.  *sigh*  We had 'em on the ropes up until that point, too.  Grrr!  ....stupid goats!

Early game, Naya and Murasa are big hits at our table.

All in all, good fun.  The die rolling aspect leads to a lot of do-or-die moments where we absolutely, positively have to leave this plane now, and a lot of breath holding while we see if we can muster it.  Good times!

Tazeem is pure evil and can really bite you if you 'walk into it at an inopportune moment.  I rolled into it, saw the Rockslide Elemental sitting at 9/9 with a Mage Slayer controlled by my opponent directly to my left, checked my life total (a normally solid 17), tried to 'walk away, failed (I rolled the chaos symbol instead, drawing 7 cards; of course, I was tapped out and couldn't do anything but discard 4), and was subsequently obliterated for my trouble by my merciless opponent (who also happened to eliminate another player in the same turn thanks to unblockable creatures).  Even so, it was a whole lot of fun!

Also got to watch the chaos created by Naar Isle fueled by a Furnace of Rath in another game I didn't participate in at my local game store.  That little combo will end a game awfully quickly if not addressed soon...

I've only played a few games of Planar Magic so far, but I gotta say, I'm hooked!  Thanks to Wizards for creating another great way to play an awesome game!

So, I bought the Elemental Thunder deck at FNM.  I was going to play, but my friend who drives us wanted to go home and we didn't have timme to play.  Awwww. 
From the looks of it, though, the red/white deck looks to be pretty nuts.

Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

We played a couple of 4, 5 and 6 player games, and had a great time.

First off, the Zombie deck seemed to be the most powerful.  Lots of removal and recursion gave it the edge, and the prevalence of -1/-1 effects severely hindered the artifact deck which relies heavily on its Myr.  Later on, though, each deck proved that it was capable of the big, game changing swing.

Strike Force is also very strong, especially when it hits the Balefire Liege.  Furnace of Rath is a beating in this deck, as is the plane that does the same thing.  Double strike + pump effects = insane; furnace makes it even moreso.

Another time we had the Furnace of Rath + the same plane out and it made for some insane beatings with the artifact deck's Loxodon Warhammer.  Qumolox, Hammer and Cranial Plating would swing for 52 a turn.

Sokenzan is also very good at ending the game.  I was playing the Elemental Thunder deck and dropped a Verdant Force, swinging for 8.  Everyone tried to 'walk away, but couldn't.  Meanwhile, I was building up my saprolings.  Then on my turn, still in Sokenzan, I was able to wipe the table thanks to the +1/+1 boost. 

What else happened... oh yeah, we had one player get decked by the "mill 10" plane.  The player immediately before him hit the Chaos roll three times in a row to knock him out.

Overall the planes are crazy, and generally tended to make the game longer, until just the right insane combination of plane + deck happened, and then it's all over.

The decks themselves look fairly balanced, with each deck ramping nicely to a mid-late game, and each possessing some fairly significant bombs.

Our group looks forward to playing the planes in EDH (using a communal planes deck of all 41).  We may make duel decks with their own planes, but the potential of the griefer deck is too high (some of those planes are brutal).

I like it, and I hope to see more Planes released as promos or prizes or whatever.

Well, my usual shop wasn't doing anything, so I just went out shopping and happened across another shop where I bought two of the sets. I just hope they reprint that promo plane in another set or something. I don't see it being easy to find on the secondary market.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

First off, the Zombie deck seemed to be the most powerful.  Lots of removal and recursion gave it the edge, and the prevalence of -1/-1 effects severely hindered the artifact deck which relies heavily on its Myr.  Later on, though, each deck proved that it was capable of the big, game changing swing.

My local store did a release tournament for it, 3 rounds of 3 player multiplayer games.

My Round 1 was 3 Zombie Empires decks. Needless to say it got very silly very quickly espically as the second plane we walked to was Lethe Lake. I managed to have a 14/14 ish Soulless one on something like the 4 turn.

Shepherd of rot was a terminate on sight deal.

One player at my release began the game with a Darksteel Forge thanks to The Maelstrom.

He fared rather well when Serra's Realm destroyed everything (except, of course, his indestructable army).

He won.

"Make people wait for what they want, and you have power over them. This is as true for merchants and militia as it is for cooks and couples." —Gwendlyn Di Corci

There's no card shop in my town so me and 2 friends had to drive for 2.5 hours to get to the nearest card shop for the event. We got there and there were NO people for the planechase event. There was a booster draft in progress that seemed to have everybody occupied. We each still got our Tazeem promos and respective Planechase packs, but I was hoping to get to play in a crazy like 10-person multi-player game or something, but I guess the local meta for that area doesn't care much for Planechase. :/

Planechase strikes me as kinda silly, but I'm super psyched about alt art on stuff, as always. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

I had a lot of fun at the Planechase release.  I don't normally go for big multiplayer games (in fact I tend to just stick to dueling, when I have the choice), but this was a really fun varient that actually makes me want to play multiplayer.  So, kudos to Wizards for that.

As far as crazy stuff that happened... well I have two candidates.  One was in a different game from mine, but one of my buddies managed to take SIX extra turns IN A ROW with Otaria.  That was pretty nuts.  The one I managed to pull off was having a three-mana Wrath-everyone-but-me by playing Hideous End with Glimmervoid Basin active.  Hooray for everyone losing big chunks of life and leaving my minions to finish them off!

By the way, I believe that the Zombie Empire list is the strongest out of all of them.  I mean c'mon, two Zombie Warchiefs (not to mention just the synergy of all your zombies anyway), Phyrexian Arena, Dark Ritual, Cabal Coffers, and Profane Command?  Just insane.

Quite honestly, the Planechase release was one of the most fun days I can remember. Got there, played some Planar EDH with the decks me & my mates picked up on Friday while everything got set up. Lost miserably, but how can you really come back to a turn 1 Rafiq of the Many? General damage galore!

Only real pitys were that there were only enough Tazeem's for half of us & the fact that the whole stock allocation for my local store was 36 decks. There were 28 of us at the Release, so they were sold out by midday on sunday (admittedly half of them went to me).

Then we did 4 way free-for-all with one of each deck. Got Zombies (WOO!), got beaten down by a tonne of Boros Double Strikers while the double damage plane was in play. That said, its always fun to make your last action in a game "Kill a 15/18 Forgotten Ancient"

Then the silly stuff started. Round 2: 9-Headed Giant, Red Rover Rules (Ie, defending team captain picks the 2 attackers, attacking capt picks 2 blockers). Again the plane meant that our side lost miserably when the other team flipped Naya first turn, played 4-5 lands each then promptly planeswalked away, meaning we had to frantically scramble for planeswalks to a Naya of our own. We failed. We took 60 damage in a turn, the other team eneded up more than 60 life up.

And finally the most stressful magic game of my life. 19 way free for all. 2 Players taking turns at once, 2 planes in play a time & a lot of people standing up & saying "Who's on X life or less with no blockers?... Ok, your dead".  First turn went about as well as it could - Swamp, Dark Ritual, Siphon Soul, gain 36 Life. 

Naar Isle blitzed off about 9 players after that. Manged to Syphon Mind to draw 16, discard a load of Zombies & throw down Soulless one who killed a good 5 on his own. The biggest mystery of it all was how I managed to goto 56 life on turn one, kill a good third of the players in the game & not get the rest of the table beating me down.

Came second in the end - how do you beat a good dozen indestuctable artifacts, one of which was a pentavite token with cranial plating, and a Door to Nothingness when your opponent top decks the one red mana he needed to trigger it.

Still a box of Conflux & a Tazeem between us (the guy that came first is my Uni Housemate) was definitely worth the 4 hours, migraine & dehydration.

As to the strongest deck, I'd say it depends on the game stage. Early, the Strike Force has the potential for devestation (friday I pulled 2 swiftblades, an animated 4/4 land & a glory of warfare to swing for 18 a turn. Late its between the Zombies & Artifacts. If the've got a pentavus & a darksteel forge, its Artifacts, if not, its zombies.

I was out of town for the planechase event.  So I looked up some shops in the area, and decided to go to a place called Jersey's cards and comics, they were very friendly and very helpful.  I was only able to get two games in, won a game with the elemental thunder deck on the back of a 23/23 verdent force (rolled the chaos ability twice on one of my planes that lets you put counters on a creature equal to its cost)equipped with mageslayer.  Lost the next game using strikeforce the Ulgortha plane took away everyones hand, and though i had gained a bunch of life off a soul warden it didnt matter when Mercadia let everyone trade life, and then someone planeswalked away before i had a chance to get my life back.

The Planechase release was the most fun I have had playing magic in a very long time....10+years easily.  One game gave me a turn 3 darksteel forge courtesy of the Maelstrom.  Another game gave one of my opponents a turn 2 Verdant Force courtesy of the Maelstrom.  I saw a lot of games turn around in the blink of an eye.  Like one of the previous posters we had the dual furnace of wrath thing going at one point - with the actual card and the plane.  Overalll I like planechase a great deal more than I thought I would!!

I was ablo to take a swing at a five player chaos multiplayer game with each deck represented, Strike Force (the deck I used) being the duplicate.

I could go into detail (I wrote them down) but there were a few funny things:

Academy at Tolaria West ate two great hands early in the game (they didn't share the new seven they got at the end of their turn) and was a blessing to see late in the game.  Very interesting plane for multiplayer, to sayt he least.  In all, it ate three different hands.  Not mine.

Beast Hunt (the Zendikar preview card in Elemental Thunder) whiffed by revealing three lands when Eloren Wilds was up for him.  Tough break.

It came down to myself and the other Strike Force deck after the Zombie Empire deck dropped Festering Goblin with Sokenzan up and rolled choas twice - beating the other guy for 6, dropping him to 4.  I was at 20.  The Zmbie Empire deck?  1 life.

Top deck on my turn: Arc Lightning.  Roll for planeswalk: success.  Hit Izzet Steam Maze FTW.

Planechase is an absolute blast!  I can't wait for more of this stuff to come out!

Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs

I didn't play at the official release but did pick some up promptly... 2 funny stories:

• playing at home we got stuck on the Lorwyn "I heart goats" plane - eveyrone ended up with a massive armada of pointless goats. Which became more funny because we were using my kids toy animals as tokens.

• Sea of sand took my first 18 life. Next time I visit the desert, I'm bringing LAND.

Sign In to post comments