8/28/2009 LD: "Masters of the Multiverse"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Let me explain. Magic cards are printed on large sheets, cut up, and randomized before they are placed in packs. In some old sets, cards appeared with different frequencies on a given sheet. The rarities of these cards was denoted by a combination of a rarity and a number. For example, a card that that appeared twice on the uncommon sheet would have the rarity U2. Another card in the same set might appear on the uncommon sheet only once and be a U1. We no longer do this in modern sets, but every non–core set before Ice Age did.

What the heck are mythics then?

From early appearances, this looks like the first Masters Edition set thatls Limited playable.  So well done there.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Why was Scryb Sprites reprinted if we already had it in ME1?

I enjoyed the article a lot, and the set looks better than Masters Edition 2, which is nice.  My main complaint is that Red and Green got seriously shafted in the constructed playables department - Regrowth or Fastbond would have been a nice inclusion.

To deal with the strangeness without removing the good game play I had created, I resurrected the idea of the "common 1" and "common 2." There are ten gold legendary creatures at common in Masters Edition III, and they appear in packs half as often as the rest of the set's commons.

This is awesome.  But if you guys have this technology, why haven't we gotten any of the alternate art cards they had back in the early sets?  It would have been awesome to have all four of the hymns.

I voted 6+ in the poll, but that's cause it was Two-Card Blind over in forum games on mtgsalvation...

The Lady of the Mountain is indeed quite the beater in Limited. I've played her in casual drafts and she delivered every time. Laughing

Edit: No autocard yet.

Why was Scryb Sprites reprinted if we already had it in ME1?

Tom didn't mention Scryb Sprites in his article; is the ME3 set list up somewhere?  It's not in Gatherer.

Also, how do we do links to Gatherer cards now?

It was officially spoiled a couple of weeks ago, but in the online forums. That happened a couple of days after the beta started.

Also, how did they miss the fact the fact that Grim Tutor is not a Portal: Three Kingdoms card when there's a picture of it right next to its discussion? >_>

I almost stopped reading when I realized it was about ME3 and I have no intention of playing MTGO for, probably, ever. But I'm glad I kept going because it's still a very interesting insight into the minds that put the game together.

It's always neat to see how different sets play together, whether it's core sets, or those big multi-set draft things they do, or something like this. I would really love to have a crack at this in paper form, especially those new duals. And I wouldn't mind them trying out those C1/C2 etc, rarities (though I'm not alone in thinking they already do...)

I also had to comment on this part:

Finally, Masters Edition III brings the original art for Elves of Deep Shadow</a>, to Magic Online for players who prefer to play with the art from Magic's earliest sets rather than more recent printings.

The Elves art really stands out to me, like I've said before, the new one may be more technically proficient, but it just doesn't have that same zing! that the older art has. Another instance where I'd really love to have this set in paper form.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Let me explain. Magic cards are printed on large sheets, cut up, and randomized before they are placed in packs. In some old sets, cards appeared with different frequencies on a given sheet. The rarities of these cards was denoted by a combination of a rarity and a number. For example, a card that that appeared twice on the uncommon sheet would have the rarity U2. Another card in the same set might appear on the uncommon sheet only once and be a U1. We no longer do this in modern sets, but every non–core set before Ice Age did.

What the heck are mythics then?

Same idea, but they actually do what they say on the tin. With the old sets, the rarities weren't color-coded so it was a crapshoot trying to figure out not only the rarity, but the frequency of each rarity.

And don't yell at me for double posting, if I could have seen the rest of the thread, I could have done a cut-and-paste quote in my first message, but I'm still getting used to this new set up.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Sorry, one more thing:

"This led to one of the funnier things about the Masters Edition III. Horsemanship is the set's evasion mechanic, and it appears in white, blue, and black. Thanks to the Faerie tribe and a few one-off cards like Fire Drake, flying appears in red and green. The legend theme even gave us Tuknir Deathlock, a red and green legendary creature with flying who in my mind became the standard bearer for the set's strange assortment of red and green flying creatures."

I was also a big fan of the color pie wackiness in Planar Chaos, and I love this type of stuff mentioned here. Having the strict rules of the color pie and following them 99% of the time, makes that 1% when you throw the rules out the window even sweeter. I know it can't be done all the time, but R&D shouldn't be afraid to do this if there's a really good flavor or even mechanical reason.

The Elves art really stands out to me, like I've said before, the new one may be more technically proficient, but it just doesn't have that same zing! that the older art has. Another instance where I'd really love to have this set in paper form

Totally agree. This is still the only Magic art I have on a wall at home, although a friend opf mine did go to ComicCon and nearly picked up a Slave of Bolas for me (I am glad he didn't considering how much Argyle was charging). As for the card I was able to get a playset of the original Elves for pretty cheap. I think I paid a total of $1 online.

It would be nice to get this set in paper form but they'd end up pulling a lot of the chase cards out of it. But to me it's just sad to see all those Legends reduced to GILBIC status (and really, it's more like DILBIC anyway).

It was officially spoiled a couple of weeks ago, but in the online forums. That happened a couple of minutes after the beta started.

Fixed. Wink

The links at the top of this article go to the Planechase page, not MED3.

Sign In to post comments