Power ranges/hit & damage rolls

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
sorry bout the title.

but here's the thing. i rolled an Elf Archer Ranger (iknow...) for my very first D&D character a couple of months ago. (us and the DM are new to 4e, Dms played other edits)
and we got to the nice bit in KoTS where you talk to the ghost of mr i killedeveryoneinthekeepforthevoiceinmyhead.

at that point PH2 was released.

the DM allowed us to change our classes/races if we were unhappy. i was curious of the druid. so i choose to reroll druid (still elf)
here he is
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Cyrus Vhanaera, level 3
Elf, Druid
Build: Predator Druid
Primal Aspect: Primal Predator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 35 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +12, Heal +10, Insight +10, Perception +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, History +1, Intimidate, Religion +1, Stealth +4, Streetwise, Thievery +4, Athletics

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Enraged Boar Form
Level 2: Skill Focus (Perception)

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Pounce
Druid at-will 1: Chill Wind
Druid at-will 1: Savage Rend
Druid encounter 1: Darting Bite
Druid daily 1: Faerie Fire
Druid utility 2: Skittering Sneak
Druid encounter 3: Battering Claws

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Tent, Hide Armor, Quarterstaff
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Create Campsite
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

its the powers like chill wind i do not understand,

could someone please explain how one uses an area/close burst/blast power
in an encounter

like, do you roll 1nce then use that roll for all in the area. or one roll per enemy>

im a begginner and dont understand how these works.

and neither does anyone in my group i gather. (i was absent, and they took control of me, they didnt even use a spell. just tried to whack someone wtih my staff
On area and close burst/blast powers, you roll an attack roll versus each target in the area of effect. You only roll damage once though, applying that damage to each target that you successfully attack.

I'll mention this since you said you are a beginner, keep in mind that if the target line says "each creature in burst", then your allies take damage as well. Some powers will specify "each enemy in burst", like the swordburst at-will possessed by swordmages.
wow... cheers for that.

clear, precise and easy to understand. should be more understanding people like you.

one the begginner subject. im actually the most enthusiastic of our group in learning the rules, and was prbably the only one who had chosen their level 1 feat for the first characters we rolled

but a beginner can quite easily not understand how something works, even if they read the rule.

hmm. so since the swordmage is a defender, does that mean an area/close Burst/blast that has "all enemies" is a defender thing, so as to enable them to not say... burn their allies to a crisp with a fire area attack or something like that.

thanks again.
Sign In to post comments