Familiars???

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just out of curiosity, for those who took the familiar feat, does anyone have a use for your familiars? Does anyone like em?

I'm asking for I find it interesting that familiars aren't a pain in the ass as they were before. You have a chance of dying if they die. I'm glad that they are able to return to your character if they go ker-splat! Thanks for the feedback!
I don't, myself, but I've never been a fan of character sidekicks. No familiars, no animal companions, no mounts.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Just out of curiosity, for those who took the familiar feat, does anyone have a use for your familiars? Does anyone like em?

I'm asking for I find it interesting that familiars aren't a pain in the ass as they were before. You have a chance of dying if they die. I'm glad that they are able to return to your character if they go ker-splat! Thanks for the feedback!

Yes and yes.

Book imps rock! (free supernal - who needs a babel fish?)
plus feats such as spellseer are nice to make sure you hit.
Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"
Yes, but we houseruled a little. Greygar's familiar is Chanel, a skunk. She can be the origin point of any spell he wishes to cast as long as she can get in range. Also, she can cast Stinking Cloud 3 times per day. When combat starts, we roll a 1d6 if both groups or if the party is surprised. On a 1 she creates a Stinking Cloud. Otherwise she casts it when it would be tactically useful.

Taking the familiar feat and picking up a familiar gives you some interesting benefits depending on your familiar. Definately worth it in my opinion, even if just for the passive benefits.

Name: Johnathan Allen Characters: Roeth Larelynn, Lhoen Lathanen, Mallorie Blackwolf, Allen Blackwolf, Jacob Ravencrest, Johnathan Quick, Nathan Quick, Garret Quick, Isaac Macgilovicz, Ivan Macgilovicz, Cadence Arthur, and Lady Ashen'vari Grasswhisper. Classes: Ranger, Paladin, Rogue, Bard.

The Rakshasa Claw and Disembodied Hand are both popular in my campaign. The free action retrieve and stow is extremely useful.

My character is planning on grabbing the Arcane Wisp familiar in paragon to compliment Ethereal sidestep. That and I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of tricks to use it for when it comes to RP.

Another character in the group picked up the dragonling familiar. Pretty much all RP (the creature and the language) rather than mechanical, storm sorcs don't have many close blasts.

My character lost his hand in the Far Realm, so a disembodied Hand Familiar was just too perfect a fit for him.

I've had 2 familiars so far: an owl and now a disembodied hand. Aside from the obvious mechanical benefits they offer wonderful opportunities for roleplay and internal monologue. I find them second only to disgruntled (and disapproving) summons for this purpose.

Where is the Familiars feat? And what's the pre-req? Cause I'd love a ferret familiar. ^^

May I ask were you guys get these Familiars? I on;y have the list from the Original AP book. But my DM said he Might let me mess with it a little when I make my Card Mage (Basicly a Tomb Mage, but I wil add a twist to it later. I will make a new post on this part of the Forum, most people might not reply to it though.)

My Familiars are usuraly either a Book Imp, Fearie*, or a Dragon. (*: Homebrew)

I want... ...spoiler blocks back. ...my actual post count back. ...my 'Dragon Slayer' title back. (I am sorry for the long list ...the readable forum listing back. Hopefully it will become shorter ...the mouseover thread previews back. soon) ...a default of single-spaced posts back. ...the awesome, varied, non-generic smileys back. ...the 'most recent post' to be specific to forum, not category. ...the 'most recent post' to tell me the post's title, not just the poster. ...to lose the burning pink eyesores on every thread I've ever glanced at. ...a chat feature that functions reliably enough for users to actually frequent them. ...to be able to look back at previous posts in the thread while I'm writing my reply. ...to be able to correctly preview a quoted post which I've broken up into segments. ...edited posts to indicate that they were edited and when to prevent confusion and chicanery. ...to be able to set a background that doesn't just sit behind the blinding white I'm trying to get rid of. ...a redirect link left behind when a thread gets moved to another forum so that it isn't effectively vanished. ...to be able to click a link in a post and have it work, not see pointless autoformatting truncate it into uselessness. ...a thread subscription page that isn't hidden in preferences and tells me when subscribed threads have new content. ...the server to stop rolling a d20 d6 every time I click a link and sending me to the intro page every time it comes up '1'. ...others to be able to set a sig display length limit so they won't have to choose between having to see this spam or no sigs at all. ...the 'Recent Topic' and 'Most Viewed Topic' sidebars to be customizable so that I, a D&D player, don't have to be spammed about MTG. ...to be able to click my D&D Forums bookmark and go to the forums, not get waylaid by a picture of some chick checking a dragon's prostate.

May I ask were you guys get these Familiars? I on;y have the list from the Original AP book. But my DM said he Might let me mess with it a little when I make my Card Mage (Basicly a Tomb Mage, but I wil add a twist to it later. I will make a new post on this part of the Forum, most people might not reply to it though.)

My Familiars are usuraly either a Book Imp, Fearie*, or a Dragon. (*: Homebrew)

They put out an article in Dragon #374 with more familiars, among other things.

that sucks, my DM doesn't alow Dungeon Mag because he says they are over powered. I disagree, but I repect his wishes.

Oh well, at least he lets me Hombrew some stuff aslong as he doesn't think it is OP'ed. Maybe if I see the Disembodied hand I could show him it and ask if I could use it.

I want... ...spoiler blocks back. ...my actual post count back. ...my 'Dragon Slayer' title back. (I am sorry for the long list ...the readable forum listing back. Hopefully it will become shorter ...the mouseover thread previews back. soon) ...a default of single-spaced posts back. ...the awesome, varied, non-generic smileys back. ...the 'most recent post' to be specific to forum, not category. ...the 'most recent post' to tell me the post's title, not just the poster. ...to lose the burning pink eyesores on every thread I've ever glanced at. ...a chat feature that functions reliably enough for users to actually frequent them. ...to be able to look back at previous posts in the thread while I'm writing my reply. ...to be able to correctly preview a quoted post which I've broken up into segments. ...edited posts to indicate that they were edited and when to prevent confusion and chicanery. ...to be able to set a background that doesn't just sit behind the blinding white I'm trying to get rid of. ...a redirect link left behind when a thread gets moved to another forum so that it isn't effectively vanished. ...to be able to click a link in a post and have it work, not see pointless autoformatting truncate it into uselessness. ...a thread subscription page that isn't hidden in preferences and tells me when subscribed threads have new content. ...the server to stop rolling a d20 d6 every time I click a link and sending me to the intro page every time it comes up '1'. ...others to be able to set a sig display length limit so they won't have to choose between having to see this spam or no sigs at all. ...the 'Recent Topic' and 'Most Viewed Topic' sidebars to be customizable so that I, a D&D player, don't have to be spammed about MTG. ...to be able to click my D&D Forums bookmark and go to the forums, not get waylaid by a picture of some chick checking a dragon's prostate.

Where is the Familiars feat? And what's the pre-req? Cause I'd love a ferret familiar. ^^

Arcane Familiar feat is in Arcane Power. There is no ferret, but there is a weasel familiar available in Dragon 374. I don't see any reason not to allow the weasel stats for a ferret. There are more familiar choices in Dragon 377 as well (Eberron oriented), including a monkey!

In all of the above publishings, there are familiar power/enhancer feats that allow you to swap out utilities or dailies for familiar oriented powers.

My skycaptain valbard has a fire mephit familiar named Lambent, which is actually the avatar of her fire elemental airship. :D

My choice of familiars depends heavily on the story/theme of the character.

I currently have a Deva of Ioun Wizard who has a book imp familiar, its wings are the binding to the book that carries all his spells, rituals and tome impliment all in one conveniant package.

brookln2copy.jpg

Many a bucket of thanks goes to Nerpherder for his work.

Just out of curiosity, for those who took the familiar feat, does anyone have a use for your familiars? Does anyone like em? I'm asking for I find it interesting that familiars aren't a pain in the ass as they were before. You have a chance of dying if they die. I'm glad that they are able to return to your character if they go ker-splat! Thanks for the feedback!

I had a love/hate relationship with wizards in 3E. I loved the concepts, but loathed execution. Familiars were one of those things that I couldnt stand about the class, and used Dragon variants that let you swap out familiars for something useful more useful whenever I could. The reason I hated familiars is because they were, at best, social role-playing tools that more often than not doubled as XP sinks if when they died. Did I take one? Only for the free Skill Focus/Toughness equivalent...but I didnt have to like it, darnit.

4E familiars are much, much more useful since you can better use them as RP tools right from the start (as opposed to waiting until you can talk to them later), they grant you tangible benefits that make them worth an actual feat, and on top of that dont severely punish you if they randomly die.

There used to be an old D&D urban myth back in 1&2nd edition of a man who died by accidental familiar suicide. The gyst of the story is a 1st level wizard with 8 constitution and the burning hands spell found a scroll of find familiar. casting it imediately he now had a raven companion. in one of the big fights he sends his raven in to distract the monster then casts burning hands, killing his familiar and in the backlash of loosing familiar he takes enough damage to die himself as well.

It probably happend. It's far from the dumbest blunder to happen in D&D.

Familiars.jpg

These are alucards familiars from the old konami Castlevania symphony of the night, I cant find a serries of images of innocent devils from the curse of darkness.

One benefit of familiars that other may not have expierienced; they get girls into roleplaying.

I was trying to convince my wife to play and could not then mentioned that she could have a pet like in harry potter and she was all over it. She's now the proud owner of a cat familiar she's named "poof".

I don't see any reason not to allow the weasel stats for a ferret.

That makes about as much sense as allowing the Cat stats for a Siamese. Smile

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

I don't see any reason not to allow the weasel stats for a ferret.

That makes about as much sense as allowing the Cat stats for a Siamese.

I think it makes a bit more sence then that. Maybe a Lizard for a Sialmense or a Cat for a nother Cat like form. Just my Idea, I don't think Weasels and Ferrets are that far apart Fluff wise for a character.
Woosh
Sign In to post comments