8th Level Transmutation Spells

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello oh wise and powerful CO optimization boards.

I'm going to be playing a Focused Specalist Transmuter Wizard in an upcoming campagin. The level will be 15, which means 8th level spells.

The problem is of course that I can't find any good 8th level Transmutations..... 7th level was no problem nor where any of the other levels (as of yet) and 9th level should be easy when I get those..... 3 Timestops would be fine.

But.... seeing as the polymorph line is banned, I don't have access to the ever cheesy Polymorph Any Object. Anybody have any good suggestions about 8th level Transmutations? I have access to almost any book, but I do need to know what book it's from as I have quite a few.

Since it might help, here's what I know about the build:
Build isn't entirely fleshed out yet, but seeing as the DM has banned Incantrix, I'm looking at something with Master Specalist, the good 4 levels of Fate Spinner and then possibly Mage of the Arcane Order or some other full casting PrC and then going archmage later on.

Suggestions also welcome on the build.
The only ones I can think of are Flensing from the Spell Compendium and Greater Celerity from the PHB2.
Don't see much need for Greater Celerity in this build...... I don't particularly need a full-round action and thus would rather use regular Celerity, the one that's 4 spell levels lower.

The second one though, Flensing, I've never heard of. *Goes to look up spell*, meh seems kinda marginal. 8d6 damage over 4 rounds doesn't impress me and the ability damage, while decent, might add to the damage slightly or kill them of charisma if they fail a whopping 4 saves IN A ROW, but this 8th level we're talking about here..... I could just put a Save-or-Die in this slot by preparing a 7th or lower level Trans in my 8th level slot. I don't really think this spells is better than a Save-or-Die.
Well you're asking for level 8 non-polymorph wizard transmutation spells, so you're not exactly giving me much to work with. :P
Extended elemental body?

Maximized, Empowered shivering touch is also level 8, but not Transmutation.

PaO aside, the only 8th level Transmutation spells I can think of are shun the dark chaos and embrace the dark chaos. They're not for general use, though.

Correction: Embrace is Transmutation, Shun is Abjuration. @.@
Yeah... somehow the embrace/shun thing seems unlikley to work under a sane DM.

Extended elemental body?

True, but I can do that as a 7th level slot via Metamagic School Focus (Transmutation.) Additionally, do you really need more than 15 hours? You'll probably be asleep for the other 9 or so.

Perhaps I could prepare a bunch of quickened 4th or 5th level transmutation(can't use School Focus on everything) spells..... but that would require taking the quicken spell feat quick I don't have at the moment...... however it could still work as taking that feat is pretty reasonable at the high levels where action economy becomes important IMO.
Earth Glide from Races of Stone. creature touched gets to ignore pesky things like walls for 1min/ lv. notice that it does not specify un-worked stone.

if you feel like messing with the weather, try Fimbulwinter from Frostburn
I'd just go for the quickened spells option if it fits into your build.
I'd just go for the quickened spells option if it fits into your build.

Probably what I'll end up doing...... but if anyone knows of any other good spells of 8th level, please say so.

With regard to Earthglide..... powerful but situational. Something I want in my spell book but not in my daily memorizations.

Fimbulwinter..... making somewhere really cold? Not really sure when I'd want to do that.
Quicken or Twin are best, probably. I can see myself doing Transmute Rock to Mud => Quickened Transmute Mud to Rock (use MSF). Quickened Greater Blink is very good, too. Twinned Celerity (if you're immune to daze only)?
Quicken or Twin are best, probably. I can see myself doing Transmute Rock to Mud => Quickened Transmute Mud to Rock (use MSF). Quickened Greater Blink is very good, too. Twinned Celerity (if you're immune to daze only)?

I don't think I'll be taking Twin Spell feat for this character..... there's not really that much I want to twin. I'm not Daze-Immune as of now, but perhaps I should solely because of the all-powerful Celerity.

The transmute mud/rock thing seems pretty good... that I may do.

Wait.... doesn't greater blink require you to use up your standard action readying an action for it to do anything? Unless I'm missing something that doesn't seem that great. Also, I don't really see why Greater Blink is better as a swift action. What am I missing here?
Yeah... somehow the embrace/shun thing seems unlikley to work under a sane DM.

Try Psychic reformation for the version that will only get you a groan from around the table, rather than a DMG in the face. DM's will probably make you keep any restriction the original feat had (aka if you break VoP you loose the feats that used to come from there).
arg did this crappy site kill my sig too?
Perhaps..... but such things are somewhat irrelevant to current problem are they not?
Greater Blink is still a 50% Miss Chance on top of other perks, and while good, you can't afford to use a Standard Action on it at high levels. Besides, add in Eyes of the Oracle (DrM?) for a Free Immunity to any one effect.
Ghostform from the SC is an amazing spell. --ShriekingDrake
Ghostform from the SC is an amazing spell. --ShriekingDrake

No, it's not. It's not worth the action used to cast it, and a Greater Blink gives you most of the benefits, and is possible to be had Quickened at this point, for the same slot.
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Empowered Disintegrate yet. Sure, direct damage normally isn't the best... but 30d6 * 1.5 (average 158) at 15th level is nothing to sneeze at, plus there's no chance of recovery for anything you take below 0 with it. Make sure you pump up your spell DCs, though.
At 5th level spell DC, that's not very good, especially since you could use Glass Strike a spell level sooner to kill anything with it's save being 2 points higher. Not to mention you need to hit.

No, it's not. It's not worth the action used to cast it, and a Greater Blink gives you most of the benefits, and is possible to be had Quickened at this point, for the same slot.

I think you're underestimating the power of this spell.  Greater Blink is great but not nearly as versatile as Ghostform.  Moreover, the OP was looking for suggestions.  I'm not sure the OP was asking you to glibly rebuff ideas, especially when there is more to some of the ideas than you're giving credit..  --ShriekingDrake

Sign In to post comments