GenCon News and Rumors

Figured it might be nice to have a location for us to share all the great convention gossip... I'll start the ball rolling with this little beauty from Christopher West's booth (photo taken with Chris's permission):

IMAGE(http://gvegames.com/sites/default/files/images/dagobah.preview.jpg)

It's a little dark, and the plexiglass made it tough to get a good glare-free shot, so I had to make the best of it. It's Yoda's Hutt and it looks amazing in person.

What else have we got?
GVE Matthew Good vs Evil Games and Comics
Is it a map WOTC bought? Will it be an official map? I hope so, it looks awesome.
Is it a map WOTC bought? Will it be an official map? I hope so, it looks awesome.

Check out post #31 and #36 in this thread: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1218384&page=2

It sounds like the Dagobah map might get picked by WotC up or sold independently, if not. Either way, I think it looks great and a definite want on my list.

Keep up the flow of info, GenConners!

It doesn't sound like WotC picked it up, but Chris said that if the first maps (the starships on sale now at GenCon) did well that would be his next release. So far his maps seem to be selling well though, so here's hoping it's enough.

Speaking of the starship maps: They are gorgeous, and even more so at full size. I know they will get enough play at our store to justify the two copies we picked up.
Ooh I love that map. I really like collecting the maps. I'd like to get my hands on the two maps on the Minimanager program that someone made for league play. Korriban was one of them.
Update from GenCon - Sarah gave Dennis two new cards to use for the Clone wars mass battle I will post pics when i can but here are the stats.

Capt. Rex, 501st Commander
Cost 41
HP 80
DEF 16
ATK 13
Dam 30
Unique, Order 66, Flight, Double Attack, Greater mobile

CE - Allies w/ order 66 that end there moves with in 6 of this character can move 2 extra squares at the end of their turn

Asajj Ventress , Strike Leader
Cost 57
HP 120
DEF 19
ATK 11
Dam 20

Unique, Melee, Double, Evade,
Niman Style (+2 atk, +2 def while this character has more than half threir HP remaining)
Twin

Force Points
Force 3
Grip 1
Master Speed
Sith Rage

CE - Followers w/in 6 who roll 19 or 20 do triple damage on Crtis

Hope you all that aren't here enjoy this glimpse of gencon.
IMAGE(http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh399/leseller/IMG_3795.jpg)
absolutely awesome, thanks leshippy.

Now if only someone can con the future of Mandalorians while there >_>
~Umbra: Light is only a Shadow cast by the Darkness of the Stars
by the force another captain rex?
rex looks like a much better balanced piece, assajj looks great too, weird commander effect though. might be good with cade
Coolio! Thanks for the map and stat pics guys!
IMAGE(http://gvegames.com/sites/default/files/images/dagobah.preview.jpg)

The map looks awesome i want one NOW. Great work Mapmaker i cannot wait to pick this map up. it looks like one of your best. And thanks for posting GVEMatthew.
Well then, I guess that's the new Rex on the said of the GAW booster.
Wow, this is the first maps I've seen from West that makes me truly, deeply jealous. for the good of the game i hope wizards wizes up and buys this map.
Wow. Great finds. Can't wait to see what else comes up.

The gambit zone on that map looks like it's going to be a WWF cage match...
Zoinks! The new Captain Rex AND Asajj Ventress! I wish she got somewhat better stats with Niman, but then again, she's still pretty good...ok, till i look at the point cost.
What's Niman Style Mastery going to be about? +2 +2 period?
My old signatures are gone!!
Zoinks! The new Captain Rex AND Asajj Ventress! I wish she got somewhat better stats with Niman, but then again, she's still pretty good...ok, till i look at the point cost.
What's Niman Style Mastery going to be about? +2 +2 period?

I imagine +4/+4.
From the Stat Card pictures, Captain Rex Ventress are just Rares and not very rare. Thank god because it took alot to get my first Captain Rex. I hope he is as easy to obtain as GMLS.;)
Why is it that every time WOTC makes a commander for the seps it does not benefit the droids? Ventress looks like a fun figure only, she cost way to much IMHO, she should be somewhere in the 40 point range. Well I hope they make a Dooku that has some great commander effect, I also hope they make a great GG like they did with Clone Wars.
Why is it that every time WOTC makes a commander for the seps it does not benefit the droids? Ventress looks like a fun figure only, she cost way to much IMHO, she should be somewhere in the 40 point range. Well I hope they make a Dooku that has some great commander effect, I also hope they make a great GG like they did with Clone Wars.

I feel the same way about droids, but the CE from GGDAC is really hard to beat so I guess CEs for the others in the faction (and fringe) is not so bad. Something to make the classic battle droid and super battle droid would be nice (nice the snow/sandtrooper commanders in IE)

The stats look good, although I agree that Asajj is a bit overcosted. Comparing the two (which I know is not a fair comparison one on one) and Rex wins much more than he loses. Greater Mobile with flight is a nice combo. I don't know how often he will replace the other one for the higher cost. A little better chance to hit and more damage per hit, but for the cost the old Rex and R2-Astro might be a better choice. Have to see how it plays out, but initial reactions are both pieces have some fun twists to make them playable, but certainly don't obsolete older versions.

BTW - I love the set icon in the lower left of the cards.
I know for game purposes not having new CE's for droids to pump them up kind of stinks but let's face it, to maintain what we see in the movies and the cartoons the droids always die easily :D Pumping them up so they are awesome will break that tradition.
I don't know about the new Rex. Flight is a major upgrade, as is 30 base damage. However, I wouldn't pay the extra points for this version over the old one. They're both pretty similar.

As for Asajj, I don't think this was a good idea on Wizard's part. We already have a great representation of Asajj, and it just came out! Built in evade is awesome and can make her a pain to kill, but she is slightly overcosted and her CE actually doesn't do her much good since she loses G-mobile.

Still, think they'll both see their fair share of play, especially Rex, since he is only a rare.
thanks for what you have put so far keep them coming we want to know more
hope your all having fun there
ah here it is my trade bit lots of promos inside issuses 2 and 4 of deagostini and repaints some new updates in there now too go on have a little looky madds trades madds squads trade house TEMPORARY HOME FOR THE Good Trade List&FAQ 85.16% complete. The Crystal Caves of Ilum (2/2)Jedi Academy (35/40) Showdown at Teth Palace (2/2)The Attack on Teth (0/2) Imperial Entanglements (22/41)Clone Wars Battles (0/10) The Clone Wars (36/40)The Clone Wars Starter Set (6/6) Knights of the Old RepublicLegacy of the Force (53/60) The Force Unleashed (50/60)Battle of Hoth (17/17) Starter Set (6/6)Alliance and Empire (53/60) Bounty Hunters (48/60)Champions of the Force (55/60) Attack on Endor (4/4)AT-AT Imperial Walker (1/1) Universe (50/60)Revenge of the Sith (55/60) Clone Strike (57/60)Rebel Storm (56/60)
Drop Asajj about 10 points and drop her CE, and we have a top tier piece for Separatists. Still a pretty good piece, and I'm wondering to see what else we get in the set before I decide how much I like her. I imagine the Asajj that we got in the map pack was the one that was supposed to be in CW before they changed it to a 40 piece set. So that makes sense.

Rex looks cool, but its hard to justify him over the monster that is Captain Rex.

Definitely good signs regarding the maps and pieces, though. Any other goodies?
Rex looks like Commander Gree except flying. :P
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
I think she is really good. She is comparable to Mara Jedi being able to twin/sith rage for 30 for 4 hits. The CE can make Dash a monster.
Drop Asajj about 10 points and drop her CE, and we have a top tier piece for Separatists.

Thats true of most non-Grievous Sep commanders. ;)

Well, you don't want to drop San by any amount of points. LOL :P
Hey the first previews! Asajj looks like an interesting piece, althougH a bit expensive. Rex can't really top the old one, and he still has a low defence

Cool Dagobah map though!
Why is Rex doing 30 DAM!? He uses frakkin pistols. I really dont like the greater mobile for 60DAM shots. Rob is using it way too much. Good thing his CE is pretty useless since no one runs effective clones.

Asajj looks interesting, but i agree she is way too expensive.

The map looks awesome, but id have to get a better look at the terrain lines to get a better idea on how it would play, looks pretty solid though.
Why is Rex doing 30 DAM!? He uses frakkin pistols.

I think its done to convey his skill as an Clone Trooper Captain over a standard trooper plus as he has two blaster pistols he would naturally do more damage than a single weapon
Why is Rex doing 30 DAM!? He uses frakkin pistols. I really dont like the greater mobile for 60DAM shots. Rob is using it way too much. Good thing his CE is pretty useless since no one runs effective clones.

What I was thinking on that score is that he can't do 80 damage this time out lacking Twin. On a crit he's doing monstrous damage, but he's not quad-shotting at a +13 for 80. He made him weaker in a way.
My old signatures are gone!!

Galaxy at Wat previews one and two ladies and gentlemen. Assaj is different, but she could be beastly. Rex, well, hum.... off to the GAW thread with this pixs.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
QUOTE]

If you look at his stat card, u can see he isn't using his pistols. He's holding a blaster rifle. And i don't think Rob is using 30 damage too much, it's on what 15-20 pieces out of the whole 700ish collection. Personally i like having heavy hitters. Not only do they portrait the people that do a lot of fighting, but it adds variety to the mix.
And with 30, he doesn't get Jolt from the Czerka Scienteist...
SoonToBeOld...
Shortened for your sanity until BBCode/Sblocks are readded.
56896968 wrote:
You know, in general I really love people who play Star Wars Minis. You could almost call them "Star Wars Minis Gamers." I'm just saying.
By the way, stop posting right before I hit "Post..."! YodaRulzTheStarWarsUniverse
Looks like he'll have the heavy blaster rifle that the heavy clone troopers (from Clone Wars) have, which also did 30 damage, but had heavy weapon.

Asajj looks interesting, but i agree she is way too expensive.

The map looks awesome, but id have to get a better look at the terrain lines to get a better idea on how it would play, looks pretty solid though.

I agree about the damage outtput. 20 damage is the standard for blasters, and with greater mobile, hum....

As for effective clones, I could see the commandos and a few figs utilizing this, and besides, being 501st makes me wonder what generic clones will be in the set.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
sweet looking map. how does one who didnt attend gen con get one of these??
I agree about the damage outtput. 20 damage is the standard for blasters, and with greater mobile, hum....

Standard damage for blasters, I think, is still 10. Heavy blasters (like Solo and the Fetts use) do typically do 20, as do most rifles. Heavier rifles (as Rex seems to be armed with) generally do 30 damage.

It's always been just a guideline, though, with many exceptions.
sweet looking map. how does one who didnt attend gen con get one of these??

You don't. But neither do GenCon attendees. It hasn't been released in any form.

In the other thread, MapMaker has stated that he's seeing if WotC wants to publish it. If not, he'll likely print it himself, as long as the current maps he's selling do reasonably well.

Though I'd have to wonder if the presence of the X-Wing will be an issue in that case.
Though I'd have to wonder if the presence of the X-Wing will be an issue in that case.

Probably the X-Wing image and the name Dagobah are copyrighted. He can always call it "Forest Planet" or something like that. It would be funny if he just left a spot to put the X-Wing tile where the X-Wing goes.
Sweet, screw the map!!! There is a new Rex!!!!

I was hoping it would be Captain Rex in Cold Assault Gear, but this one is just as cool.

I can see plenty of uses for him right off the bat. Flight is just fantastic. Not to mention the sculpt should be pretty sweet.

His CE is good too. With mobile snipers, they can use the extra 2 squares to set up interference to protect Rex, or get back into positioning after rounding a corner.

He isnt as good as the old Rex, but still useful and obviously made for the little kiddies who watch Rex on Cartoon Network and cant get their hands on a VR version of him.

He still has low defense, but the Gungan SB helps with that.
Sign In to post comments