Regional Rivalries

I was struck with an idea about a year or two ago of putting together sort of a regional circuit of play among the various LGS's within driving distance. I live in Southern NJ and know there is probably at least a half dozen stores that play SWM within an hours drive of so.

I reached out to a few players at these other stores but unfortunately didn't see to get much buy in. But with the whole idea of regionals prior to Gen Con now it sounds like it might be more feasible, even if it isn't an official DCI thing.

I was curious if anyone else out there does anything like this and if you've had any success with it.

The basic idea was to just have like one monthly game that rotated between the various stores in which members of participating stores would play at. The store teams would garner credits for wins/losses of their team mates and then declare a Regional Rivalry Champion at the end of the year.

Any thoughts?
This has already been tried. It was called Regionals and winners received entry to GenCon and some other perks.

It was a success in some areas, and a failure in others. I will stop with that.
This has already been tried. It was called Regionals and winners received entry to GenCon and some other perks.

It was a success in some areas, and a failure in others. I will stop with that.

I'm vaguely familiar with the Regionals that occurred. I think my idea is a little different. Mine is a little more grass roots type of an idea. Where players aren't trying to qualify for a bigger tournament. Where a single store isn't being picked to represent a huge geographic region.

With my idea it's really a way to try to promote play at the local venues by having traveling teams of players move from store to store in their area. It's really nothing more than having a visiting team or group of teams at your store to play and you reciprocating and going to their store. We've had something like that at our store in the past to a lesser degree.

The idea here is to get new competition moving through the stores, as a result more business for those stores as well. But the general idea is because everyone can't make it all the way to regionals or to the championships at Gen Con, maybe they can make it 45 minutes away and play with new people, new squads and new strategies.

I just thought it might help to promote the game, keep it interesting and fresh. I could be totally off with this idea, it could have been tried before and proven a total failure. I just wanted to get some feedback on whether anyone has tried it, if it's viable and how best to go about it. It would be nice if WOTC or DCI threw some official support behind something like this, but I think it can be successful on it's own.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Wow...ok so I take the silence on this topic as a clear answer to my original question I suppose.
actually we have one here in missouri.

We have three distinct groups in the same area. We have dvader831 and his bolivar, missouri group.

We have the springfield, missouri group which plays at meta game (the location of the regional).

Then we have my group in Lamar, Missouri.

We have had kind of group versus group battles before.

I travelled to Springfield in January and ran the SWM events at a small convention there called Visioncon.

My group took 1-3 there (I could not play I was the TO )

Then we have had meeting between Rays group and mine. My group usually comes out on top but that being because my guys are more of a competitive mindset (I think that is normal for ex-jocks and jocks).

There have been noticeable differences in playstyles from the competing groups. Springfield used to live on the 5 activations of big beef theory a couple of years ago. They found out that only 5 would get them killed at our venue.

I would have to say that the Lamar group is the most competitive group and sticks closest to the national meta than any of the groups.

I would say the Bolivar guys are kind of in between competitive and fun but they probably are the best example of how a player should be. They are great guys and honestly nicer people than I am. I would say the Bolivar group is a shining example of the light side...... freakin bunch of good guys.

Springfield while having a strong venue for a long time I would say they are kind of the lost group. They are not a fun playing group IE casual. They are competitive. But they seem oblivious of the national meta and clueless as to what works. The best glimpse they get of what is right and proper for a competitive game is when Ray and his group shows up there.

So DV I kind of totally get what you are talking about and I can say we are lucky to get to have that kind of regional thing going on.
team revan Collection: 801/801 SWM DCI Content Manager sith holonews network
So what this was like a league with jerseys and uniforms and cheerleaders and such? Here on ESPN 8 we bring you a live broadcast of the Star Wars Miniatures Regional Tournament.

Could be fun
So DV I kind of totally get what you are talking about and I can say we are lucky to get to have that kind of regional thing going on.

Dean that sounds exactly what I am trying to do. You sound like you have mixed feelings about the success of what you guys had. I also take it that you guys don't do that anymore. Do you think it's a viable idea to try to do it elsewhere? And if so, what pitfalls do you think should be avoided that you guys may have run into?
So what this was like a league with jerseys and uniforms and cheerleaders and such? Here on ESPN 8 we bring you a live broadcast of the Star Wars Miniatures Regional Tournament.

Could be fun

I don't know about the jerseys and uniforms...but the cheerleaders are a nice touch
I don't know about the jerseys and uniforms...but the cheerleaders are a nice touch

No touching the cheerleaders!

Dean, thank you for the compliments! It is true, we are the good old boys. We know how to play, but don't go for the jugular often. We can hold our own against other venues (for the most part), but never see the need to go all meta all the time like other places report.
Dean that sounds exactly what I am trying to do. You sound like you have mixed feelings about the success of what you guys had. I also take it that you guys don't do that anymore. Do you think it's a viable idea to try to do it elsewhere? And if so, what pitfalls do you think should be avoided that you guys may have run into?

Oh no we still do it. We have lost the Kansas City visitors but we still get like one at a time come down. I was speaking mainly to how it was kind of funny how different that 3 venues just separated by like a 60 mile triangle can operate so differently while being so close.

The Springfield group is not so active anymore... but we still have the Bolivar/Lamar fights. I always enjoy them.

For me it is a great chance to see Ray and then also work with some of his players on helping them to get better. I think one of the best parts of it is for the best from players from each group to teach the lesser players of each group.

Those players get some great instruction on the game from a totally different perspective. I think that is huge because as good of a teacher that Ray or I might be we have completely different playstyles for sure. One of his player's style might identify more with my style. So any help I give that person would be huge to them. This of course is true in the reverse for one of my guys and Ray's playstyle.

So all in all DV I think it is one of the healthiest things you can do for your playgroup and the other you go to visit.
I must agree. Playing at Dean's venue has brought my game to a much better level, and he is a great teacher to some of my boys for things I never think of. And whenever Dean and I sit down against one another, everyone knows what game they want to witness the chaos on. (Yeah, Dean typically wins, but I've never made it easy on him!)
I must agree. Playing at Dean's venue has brought my game to a much better level, and he is a great teacher to some of my boys for things I never think of. And whenever Dean and I sit down against one another, everyone knows what game they want to witness the chaos on. (Yeah, Dean typically wins, but I've never made it easy on him!)

Yes I remember the first time you guys came over. That was hilarious because after our game you said your head hurt because you had to think way too much. Good Times!!!
No touching the cheerleaders!

Hey I'm married...I'm allowed to look as long as I don't touch. And as soon as I stop looking I mine as well be dead
So all in all DV I think it is one of the healthiest things you can do for your playgroup and the other you go to visit.

Dean,

Thanks for all your input on this it's been very helpful. I floated the idea out there to my group and got significant buy in from most of them as well. I think I'll take to the next step and see if I can get anywhere with it.

See that's exactly what I am looking forward to. Kind of the 'club pros' going head to head and others enjoying the game and learning from it but also learning from each other.
I know there are plans to have a Northern California Regional event similar to what you are talking about.

Between NickName's GameKaste group and Hye-Jedi's Adventures group. I think GameScape was in on the convo too.

It sounds like this is a popular idea that has yet to hit full circut. Maybe soon.
I know there are plans to have a Northern California Regional event similar to what you are talking about.

Between NickName's GameKaste group and Hye-Jedi's Adventures group. I think GameScape was in on the convo too.

It sounds like this is a popular idea that has yet to hit full circut. Maybe soon.

When I was originally toying with the idea it was before DCI started the Regionals and my original hope was of grass roots circuits like this popping up around the country and eventually getting recognition by DCI and moving towards an official championship. Whether or not that's viable or not I really can't say, but it was always something I was hoping for.
Sign In to post comments