Vodo Siock Baas mad quarterstaff skillz question

I can't find it in the books I have but how is Baas able to go toe-to-toe with Exar Kun with only a quarterstaff? What ability is that?
I can't find it in the books I have but how is Baas able to go toe-to-toe with Exar Kun with only a quarterstaff? What ability is that?

RAW? Probably Empower Weapon. Baas is probably one of the few Jedi we see take Force Adept PrC.
I would have thought it was "Empower Weapon", but Vodo doesn't seem to have it...

But in all actuality it could have just been an extremely hard type of wood and Exar Kun didn't immediately attack it directly, in the game I don't think lightsabers automatically destroy any weapon they go against, they have to "attack a held object".

People tend to have different opinions on how well a lightsaber cuts, but my own opinion is that they have to be pressed against something long enough and hard enough before it builds up enough heat to burn through. Some objects still offer resistance. Like Qui-Gon couldn't immediately cut through a blast door, it took him some time and focus and it was still slow going, and then there's scenes in ESB and ROTJ where Luke hits Vader's armor but it doesn't immediately go through.

But...he probably still should have had "Empower Weapon". Otherwise, err...I think I remember reading about one planet having a type of tree that picked up mineral deposits having wood that was harder than some metals. From one of those ancient D6 adventure journals. Coulda been a staff made out of that? I dunno, best explanation I can think of without "Empower Weapon".
I would have thought that too, but his stat block is in the Jedi Academy book and he doesn't seem to have it. I think...it's a mistake, like Keiran Halcyon hanging out in the Jedi Academy.
The difference between a 1D6 and 2D8 weapon is only 5.5 average points of damage. That's a lot, but not so much that it's going to assure the 2D8 guy an instant victory. Especially at higher levels, when both sides probably have a good set of additional abilities. Baas was also probably a good bit higher in level, giving him a definite edge in both base attack and damage.

Kun's victory, in game-terms, was probably more predicated on Baas suffering from age penalties, possibly a Dark Side affect on Baas, and Kun being a very combat-focused character. Baas probably had a lot of abilities that weren't terribly helpful during the fight, while Kun was a very aggressive, combat-focused guy. He probably pumped his physical scores quite a bit, and took abilities that gave him the edge in a fight.

But, anyway, the difference between 1D6/1D6 and 2D8/2D8 is sizable enough to make you want the latter, but it isn't so powerful that it's going to totally cripple the 1D6 character. He'll have some trouble, but the difference between a blaster pistol and a heavy blaster rifle is even larger, and that's hardly a significant difference.
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
Man, this stinks.

See, I'm trying to build a Jedi that doesn't use a lightsaber but, instead, picks up whatever object is at his disposal and uses that like a lightsaber. But "Empower Weapon" doesn't even say it can hold up against a lightsaber.

Is this something I can even do? Empower objects to operate like a lightsaber, with the same damage and limb-offing power?
Somewhere there's a bit of an addendum that says that lightsabers don't ignore an Empowered Weapon's DR, so you could do it, yeah...I mean normal objects aren't really that vulnerable to lightsabers in melee combat. I'll look for it and see if I can quote it for you.

They gotta "attack an object" to break 'em, a normal lightsaber attack against a character with a staff wouldn't break the staff, you see...because "Reflex Defense" represents dodging as much as it does parrying.

So go for it, the only thing that really stops "empower weapon" from letting you pick up random objects and turn them into impliments of death is the limitations of your own weapon proficiencies and that you have to use a force point and a full round to empower each one. So it's kind impractical to use in the middle of combat.

AD&D used to have an improvised weapons feat, though, and so did the previous edition of Star Wars...there might be a new version of it somewhere, I'll check on that too.
There's the Soldier talent "Make Due."
Oooh, yeah. That'd probably work for half of it. Yeah, just use that and "move light object" a lot to keep calling different random objects to your character's hand.

A martial artist force user would probably be better in stats and practicality, but it's still a cool concept. Just sayin'.
Is this something I can even do? Empower objects to operate like a lightsaber, with the same damage and limb-offing power?

A melee weapon blocked by the talent Blocked is not destroyed. In order to destroy a weapon you must target it. The same thing goes for severing limbs.
You can only sever someone's limb with the Severing Strike talent or the rule that was posted in some Jedi Counseling as alternative rule.
"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. --- * i.e., everybody." When it comes to continuity, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as, um ... um ... um ... well ... okay, how about this: When it comes to shanking continuity in his own universe, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as death and taxes. - by DarthPancake
I would suggest the Primitive Block talent from the KotOR CG.

Vodo's stick did break, so it didn't necessaraly have DR vs lightsabers.

I would have thought that too, but his stat block is in the Jedi Academy book and he doesn't seem to have it. I think...it's a mistake, like Keiran Halcyon hanging out in the Jedi Academy.

More like Keiran and Corran not having the Channel Energy talent that was invented to represent what they can do.

Those stat blocks are essentially unusable as written to actually represent those characters.
Sign In to post comments