House Rule varient (Divine Challenge)

1 post / 0 new
I never liked how restrictive DC is. Thanks to this thread (link) I was able to rewrite it in a manner that gives some flexibility, but still requires the Paladin to engage the target. Basically the Paladin will be able to use DC against any opponent, but will have to engage the target to gain the benefit of the radiant damage.

Let me know what you guys think.

Divine Challenge Paladin Feature
You boldly confront a nearby enemy, searing it with divine light if it ignores your challenge.
At-Will ✦ Divine, Radiant
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target. A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.
While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include you as a target. Also, if you engaged the target on your turn, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target before the start of your next turn. The damage increases to 6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 9 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it.
You can use divine challenge once per turn.
Special: Even though this ability is called a challenge, it doesn’t rely on the intelligence or language ability of the target. It’s a magical compulsion that affects the creature’s behavior, regardless of the creature’s nature. You can’t place a divine challenge on a creature that is already affected by your or another character’s divine challenge.

Just wanted to say thank you to Nexus6 for the idea.