14 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Warden.

What the hell does it do?

What is its role?

Bump if necessary.

- Me
It's a Defender.

Basically, the 3rd Edition Druidzilla was broken into the druid (the spellcasty parts), the Shaman (the healing parts), and the Warden (the brute-force beatassy parts).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I see.

Do any of them get shape-shifting powers?

- Me
Druids can shapeshift at-will, Wardens get Shapeshifting abilities folded into their daily powers. Dunno about Shamans yet, we'll find out tomorrow evening (those with DDI subscriptions, anyway).
WAAAAGH!!!

I don't have a subscription!

Fill me in?

- Me
Okay.

Druids get the Class Feature Wildshape, which is an At-Will power like Divine Challenge, or Prestidigitation. When Wildshaped, Druids can access a bunch of close-range powers, but cannot cast long-range weather spells.

Warden Daily powers act a lot like Barbarian rages. When activated, they give the Warden some buffs that last the entire encounter, plus they get an extra attack they can perform while transformed (although this extra attack can only be used once).

I think that's as much as I can give away, for now. Both look fun to play, and I'm anticipating PHBII (Amazon preorder FTW!!!)
So...do they just turn into animals like in 3E or do they turn into other things?

- Me
So...do they just turn into animals like in 3E or do they turn into other things?

- Me

Animals so far, and its fluff/flavor text the type of animal you are.

Druids transform into any medium-size creature, it could be a wolf or hog, etc. Or even just a ever shifting form of primal fury.

Warden's take on animalistic aspects, like horns, hooves, etc.
For Druids, it's pretty open-ended what they can turn into. Basically any medium creature within reason. Mechanically, it doesn't matter if you say you're a wolf, a ram, or a leopard; the beast form powers function the same regardless.

Wardens get pretty cool partial transformations, which include animal-, weather-, and plant-based forms from what we've seen so far.
The Warden is the new primal source Defender...

Here's what we know so far...
  • They use single enemy control effects along with [mostly] single enemy damage
  • They buff themselves with Temp HP and AC increases
  • They buff themselves with daily transformations, taking on the aspects of plants and animals, which last for a whole encounter
  • They make aura effects around themselves (and enemies) that create difficult ground
  • They get a bonus for wearing light armour, so they are more mobile than heavy armour defenders (they also get some nice mobility based utility powers )

So they quickly move into position and create difficult terrain to block of areas of the battlefield. However, as yet, they don't get any 3[W] powers, so one could argue they have a damage problem similar to the Swordmage, although they can easily use 2-handed weapons to fix some of that.
The Warden.

What the hell does it do?

What is its role?

Bump if necessary.

- Me

The Warden's Role? Prevents forest fires.
The Warden's Role? Prevents forest fires.

.oO(Only you can prevent forest fires!)

TBP
.oO(Only you can prevent forest fires!)

TBP

ya but we have to use buckets he can stomp it into submission.
Sign In to post comments