New Player Advice

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have just started to collect the Land A&A game and am interested in playing. Is there an existing thread that acts as a primer to the game, outlining the basic strategies and best practices for novice players? If not any tips.
I have just started to collect the Land A&A game and am interested in playing. Is there an existing thread that acts as a primer to the game, outlining the basic strategies and best practices for novice players? If not any tips.

Welcome to the Boards Forcepush71

There are several threads of advice within these pages but by all means fire away with any questions or concerns. When not professing their tactical prowess the folks around here love to share their insights.

Here is a quick link to a recent advice thread we had running. It's called "You have already Lost if,,,,,," there are some good pearls of wisdom to be found here and a few contributed by your truly ;) .

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1131803

Again though don't be shy about asking your specific questions. Of course you'll probably get as many different answers as responses but that's part of the fun.
Thanks for the link and the welcome. That thread was exactly what I was looking for.
The community in general is usually pretty helpful, and some of the rules are a little ambiguously written, so don't hesitate to ask us for clarification (the FAQ section has a lot of useful informaton). We've all had to learn the game at some point. Here's a list of units I personally recommend:

Wehrmacht Veteran Infantrymen - for what they cost, they are the best generic infantry available to Germany. very durable, and good at taking out most units.

Sd Kfz 234/2 "Puma" - a very fast, hard hitting armored car that's been recosted to 17 points and moves again after firing.

StuG III Ausf. D - a cheap, reliable little tank that does acceptable damage and gets a bonus firing at units hiding in cover.

Hummel - hits both infantry and armor pretty hard, ignores cover, and hurts everything in the target hex. pair it up with a disciplined spotter and it's a killing machine.

"Screaming Eagle" Paratroopers - probably, pound for pound, the best soldier in the game. Drop him in anywhere and he`s hard to kill.

"Screaming Eagle" Captain - ties in well with the other paratroopers for support, and when you have an 81mm Mortar on the field he can spot for it.

M24 Chaffee - one of my all-time favorite pieces. fast, cheap, durable, and hard-hitting. you won`t get a better tank for the same points with anything else.

M4A3 (105) Sherman - good at killing infantry and armor. a great general purpose tank.
Sign In to post comments