Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for June 2014

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of June, 2014.

Stinger!

Nice mask.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Brazil is speaking portuguese, since Cabral came here, I guess...

No Playstation card? Did I miss something?

Lucas2099 wrote:

No Playstation card? Did I miss something?

Yes, apparently you missed that Duels isn't being released for the PS3/4 this year.  At all.  There was a great deal of uproar when it was announced, but no satisfactory answer was ever given.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Bah.  What a missed opportunity.  The Soul of Ravnica is BLUE?  An entire city plane-- THE City of Guilds?  And no one thought that White might have been the more appropriate colour  there?

Bracador wrote:

Bah.  What a missed opportunity.  The Soul of Ravnica is BLUE?  An entire city plane-- THE City of Guilds?  And no one thought that White might have been the more appropriate colour  there?

well, considering that the embodiment of the guildpact  itself (Jace) is blue, it is fitting

Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum

I still keep hoping that the new design layout of magic is just a trick and they won't look like that. Its just too jaring to my eyes.

Those cards really look bad.  The break of symmetry at the bottom is annoying every time I see it.

Legal cards you can't get in boosters?

Horrible idea. I'm only glad none of them are spectacular... but next thing you know they'll be putting good cards out like that.

Please don't ever do this again just to boost sales of starter packs.

greyimp wrote:

Legal cards you can't get in boosters?

Horrible idea. I'm only glad none of them are spectacular... but next thing you know they'll be putting good cards out like that.

Please don't ever do this again just to boost sales of starter packs.

I agree. This is a prick-ly idea. 

All this basically does is take some fun Limited cards out of the Limited environment. And for what? 

I'm actually really annoyed.

EDIT:

Upon further reflection, I'm actually really, really, really annoyed. Core set Limited is the only time most people would ever play any of these older, fun cards (I mean, when else are you going to use a Serra Angel or Nightmare?) And now that opportunity has been taken away from us. And for what? 

'These cards will stll be Constructed legal'. Who cares? No one would use them in a Constructed deck. 

Really, really assinine decision. 

I honestly don't see why this is upsetting, unless it somehow keeps you from getting your favorite bomb rare that's probably already been printed multiple times.  Furthermore, these decks are promotional items that are basically free, you just have to know how to get them.

The only people who should be upset are the judges who, when listing off what's standard legal, have to reference these cards for the next year.

colvincd wrote:

I honestly don't see why this is upsetting, unless it somehow keeps you from getting your favorite bomb rare that's probably already been printed multiple times.  Furthermore, these decks are promotional items that are basically free, you just have to know how to get them.

The only people who should be upset are the judges who, when listing off what's standard legal, have to reference these cards for the next year.

Because these cards are only good in Limited and they've now been removed from the Limited environment. And for a stupid reason.

I don't get that complaint.

The cards aren't in M15 because they wanted to make M15 the best they can while also making the sample decks the best they can, but found that those two goals are incompatible. That is, M15 would suffer if they included all those cards in it, and the sample decks would suffer if they restricted themselves to cards from M15.

Every core set is different, both in limited and in what it contributes to constructed. That means there will always be some cards that don't make it from one core set to the next, but those gaps are then filled with other cards. You really have no way of knowing at this point if M15 is a good set, and you certainly can't know that it would be improved by taking out two cards and slotting in Serra Angel and Nightmare.

And if a card isn't going to be in M15 anyways, what difference does it make that they're including it in the sample decks? I can see that that would be irritating to collectors if those 15 cards are hard to get, but what difference does it make to anyone else?

As for constructed legality, all that means is that new players who get those sample decks will have an easier time of making a tournament-legal deck and that they won't accidentally break the rules by trying to use their cards. They'll still have a terrible deck and they'll still lose. If cards aren't tournament-viable, what harm is caused by them being tournament-legal?

Also note that those sample decks are generally given out for free to try to attract new players. They're not for sale, so the fear that they're going to use this as a cash grab is silly.

I'm mostly coming from a nostalgia point of view. I'm a returning player and I had wanted to be able to play with some of these fun old cards in M15 Limited. Now I can't.

What makes you think they would have been printed in M15 boosters in the first place?

Adeyke and roz1281 are correct.  They didn't remove the cards from boosters, they added them to decks. You wouldn't be drafting them either way, unless you grab an older set.

I do agree though,that if they ever pull this technique on a brand new card with reasonable power, it will have been a terrible, terrible move,

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Hotspur000 wrote:
colvincd wrote:

Because these cards are only good in Limited and they've now been removed from the Limited environment. And for a stupid reason.

The format those decks are played in IS a limited format.

I don't see how limited will get worse from not having those extra cards on top of the total cardpool.  Plus, they're all reprints, so we've already played with them in limited.

Battle sliver coolest card in M14?

I can't imagine anyone cares about this card more than any of the other non top 10 cards in the core set.

The answer to the first trivia question in today's Arcana is incorrect. See http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/308.

That link's been broken by the site redesign. (Ugh, flat black and grey boxes like every other site on earth. I hate this modern aesthetic.) I cannot find a way to make the site list the Arcana history, either, so I can't find the correct link to fix it for you.

The current card of the day is, apparently, the back of an unspecified card from Theros, with no commentary. Yay, yet another thing the new site broke.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

I could never figure out what the card of the day was

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

The aesthetic repulsivness of the new frames is turning my stomach.  I sure hope that market forces will swiftly prompt a redesign.  

The Daily Deck article for the 25th June, about Tom Ross' mono red deck was interesting, but I'm confused about how Sylvan Caryatid can be played when they are pulled from the sideboard?

Where does his green mana come from in this deck? Thanks for clearing up my obvious confusion!

GatheringClouds wrote:

The Daily Deck article for the 25th June, about Tom Ross' mono red deck was interesting, but I'm confused about how Sylvan Caryatid can be played when they are pulled from the sideboard?

Where does his green mana come from in this deck? Thanks for clearing up my obvious confusion!

I don't get it either... Could anyone clarify please? Do the authors even check these comments?

About today's arcana:

Technically it was Liliana of the Veil and not Liliana Vess (the original) who "started Garruk on his dark path".

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Multiverse/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature2/470a#

Not really. She's got several cards, but the name of the character is still Liliana Vess, just like the character depicted in Ajani, Mentor of Heroes is still named Ajani Goldmane.

Reads June 24 Arcana, especially the part about Intro Packs

Gets psyched for Articles on Monday.

Gets dissapointed.

Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

alextfish wrote:

Not really. She's got several cards, but the name of the character is still Liliana Vess, just like the character depicted in Ajani, Mentor of Heroes is still named Ajani Goldmane.

The author of the Arcana made this distinction, not me.

I get how names work. I myself got one and although I call myself Kageyaiba on the Internet, most people still call my by my real name. But thanks for explaining that concept to me anyway.

What the author of the Arcana tried to say imho is that the Liliana who cursed Garruk wasn't 'veilpowered' yet. And that is just not true.

So how 'bout dem intro packs?

Weren't we supposed to know about them, or at least look at the packaging by today?

I think someone should listen to that 1992 Jimmy Johnson speech, something along the lines of "If you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk".

Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

1 days to comic con

I really think the dinosaurs will grab more interest than mills

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Why didn't they change the sliver token away from the M14 humanoid version?  At least I still have some old school sliver tokens I can use.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)