[DM ONLY] Black Gates

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

The black gates have to be disrupted in order to access the phylactery vault.

The module is unclear whether it's only black gates in the temples of extraction sector, or across the doomvault.

In the Doomvault descriptions and lore, it indicates the Doomvault. In the Temples of Extraction sector description, it indicates the gates in the temples sector.

Since the number of black gates that need to be disrupted is 6 per group, and there are only 4 black gates in the Temples of Extraction, mathematically I'm reading that the black gates need to be disrupted in the Doomvault, not the Temples.

Does that sound right?

That's how I've been playing it. My groups haven't made the connection with how they're supposed to disrupt the gates; my thinking is, once they've figured it out, they'll go back to the "easier" gates (remember to check for random encounters when groups return to rooms they've previously cleared) and disrupt those.

------------------------------------
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:

Yeah-- I expect my tables to figure out about the black gates next week, because two of my tables are interested in going to deal with the Chosens.

AlHazred wrote:

That's how I've been playing it. My groups haven't made the connection with how they're supposed to disrupt the gates; my thinking is, once they've figured it out, they'll go back to the "easier" gates (remember to check for random encounters when groups return to rooms they've previously cleared) and disrupt those.

By the text if they specifically go back to disrupt a gate, there is no random encounter (p.22)

"In the game there is magic" - Orethalion

Only got words in my copy.

Philosopher Gamer

Noon wrote:
By the text if they specifically go back to disrupt a gate, there is no random encounter (p.22)
Huh. Good to know! Thanks!

------------------------------------
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:
Sign In to post comments