Crafting in D&D Next

All these questions with only a few weeks left.. my motivation is low. Aww well.

My friend wants to build his own gear so I had to make up a system. How would you deal with crafting/thing they will deal with crafting?

Each weapon or armor requires the materials + time to create. If you are in a major city it's assumed you can buy the materials. 

The cost is half the market value of the gear.

There is no official time stat block but I will use this chart. 

1d4 days for everything that isn't armor 

Xd4+X days for light armor 

Xd6+X days for medium armor

Xd8+X days for heavy armor

X = item level

Item level is how low it is from the top of the list, so for example, Banded armor is the 4 armor down on the Heavy armor list. That means you roll 4d8+4 10 hour days to produce the item at half it's value, 375gp which I believe no one has enough to afford unless they sell their current gear. Split is 250gp at 3d8+4 10 hour days. 

Though now I am thinking my first attempt at homebrew needs some work!

sliceoffruit wrote:

All these questions with only a few weeks left.. my motivation is low. Aww well.

My friend wants to build his own gear so I had to make up a system. How would you deal with crafting/thing they will deal with crafting?

Each weapon or armor requires the materials + time to create. If you are in a major city it's assumed you can buy the materials. 

X = item level

Item level is how low it is from the top of the list, so for example, Banded armor is the 4 armor down on the Heavy armor list. That means you roll 4d8+4 10 hour days to produce the item at half it's value, 375gp which I believe no one has enough to afford unless they sell their current gear. Split is 250gp at 3d8+4 10 hour days. 

I'd hold off on homebrewing,  reportedly the full rules will have a crafting system in the downtime module already.

Gatt wrote:

sliceoffruit wrote:

X = item level

I'd hold off on homebrewing,  reportedly the full rules will have a crafting system in the downtime module already.

Ya- problem is I am playing a D&D Next campaign right now with crafting...

My idea is to craft without spending XPs but points of residium. The residium would be like points of creation or maná, and it would be used even using magic item like healing potions. 

With points of residium the DM can use a limit for magic item. 

Other question: what if ally nPCs are crafters? 

How do I imagine crafting? A mixture of social net videogames like Castleville, and other tilles like the guild 2 and sims medieval. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

It looks fairly servicable. If you want to compare it to how it was done in a previous edition, here's the crafting rules from the SRD.

That should give you something to measure against instead of working in a vaccum.

sliceoffruit wrote:
Ya- problem is I am playing a D&D Next campaign right now with crafting...
You could just sort of handwave it for a couple of weeks. There will be rules for crafting items in the final rules. I'm not sure if they'll be in the free Basic D&D pdf or not, though.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

I would just handwave crafting altogether, why do you need rules.  Player askes if he can make something related his his backstory/background you as DM say how long and how much, simple.

Is rolling to succeed or fail a basket weaking skill check ever been  fun to anyone?

Does it matter to the story if it takes him 10 minutes or 10 days to weave the basket?

Why is an adventuring hero weaving the basket in the first place?

Now you could come up with a situation in the game where say the big scarry dragon is about to eat the village but he has a fondness for high quality woven baskets.  In such a situation you should have all this worked out as a skill challenge ahead of time, and don't need crafting rules for it just go with what is fun for the story.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

I personally wouldn't let a 5e PC just craft anything unless they had the appropriate background (Artisan/metalsmith, or whatever). If they did, and we were starting out at level one, or any level really, I'd just handwave it and assume they made it just before they started their adventuring career. Or, if they wanted to, I'd say it was their 'thesis' as a graduating apprentice, or even an inherited item.

Assuming my campaign started out in a city, all sorts of NPC craftsmen would be available...If I started the PC's out in some podunk hamlet, there'd be no armorsmiths, and only simple weaponsmiths. Maybe a village alchemist too. If I started my PC's out as slaves/prisoners/exiles/etc. there'd be NOTHING, lol.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

I don't think I am clear. The characters are level 5 and have enough GP to buy the next tier of armor but want to buy it at half pice before the next campaign starts. They have 2 weeks before the next session and someone wants to build 6 sets of splint mail and I am thinking it's a bit much. 

sliceoffruit wrote:

I don't think I am clear. The characters are level 5 and have enough GP to buy the next tier of armor but want to buy it at half pice before the next campaign starts. They have 2 weeks before the next session and someone wants to build 6 sets of splint mail and I am thinking it's a bit much. 

Does the character have background in such crafts and his own shop or someone elses they can use? I did a search and came up with it taking about 1 mounth to make  1 chainmail armour in the middle ages, but we are talking fantasy here so would be up to you.

Ya his background is a blacksmith and he works at a smithy as an apprentice

sliceoffruit wrote:

Go with your gut.  Let him make what you think is fitting.  I am a big by the rules kind of guy but when there are no rules it is best just to trust your gut and have fun.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

Under the 3.5 SRD crafting system, assuming the PC could take 10 and hit a 17 on their crafting check, it woul take over 4 1/2 weeks to make ONE suit of Splint Mail at 5E prices.

So 6 suits in 2 weeks by 1 person does seem a bit much. Let them do 1 in that 2 weeks because you want the player to feel their background was well chosen. Or better yet, is there a way you can have them discover some old, broken suits left over from a battle or in the blacksmiths junk pile, just mentioning them with an offhand comment? Building 6 suits from scratch in two weeks might be too much, but repairing a handul might be doable, and make the player feel clever for thinking of it.

This all assumes you care about what seems "realistic" in a game with flying fire-breathing lizards, sentient flying eyeballs, and any number of violations of the square cube law. Really, saying they leave a hammer under their pillows and the armour fairys come in the night and bring them splintmail wouldn't be all THAT out of place.