Early release of Starter Set at official Wizards store

I read somewhere that an official Wizards of the Coast outlet store apparently you can pick up the starter set two weeks early in-store vs online. Is that true?

sliceoffruit wrote:

I read somewhere that an official Wizards of the Coast outlet store apparently you can pick up the starter set two weeks early in-store vs online. Is that true?

Yes, I believe so.

Stores that are part of WotC's WPN (Wizard Play Network?) get new products two weeks earlier than the online retailers in an effort to allow to remain competative against the online retailers that typically sell their products at a discount that tradition stores cannot amnage.

Wizards Stores are still a thing?  I thought they all shut down around 2002.

You can look by zip code here.  http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=dnd

This symbol will be next to the name of any Wizards Play Network store, and yes they get the physical books early before online distributers.  You need to choose between saving money and getting it early, I like the idea of getting it early and supporting brick and mortar small buisness instead of Amazon my self.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

A little bit of good will is a big step towards making this planet a better place

Still no FLGS in my city.

I ordered the Starter Set from Amazon, but I'm going to be going to my local store to get a copy as well. One will be for a gift, and one for me. 

I want to be one of those guys posting a picture of myself on Facebook so my friends can wonder the heck I'm doing. I'll be getting back at some people for their pictures of cats and lunch (or cats on their lunch).

Also you should check with your local store, some will offer a discount on preorders not as much as Amazon but something and you can guarantee you have a copy waiting for you.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

Qmark wrote:
Wizards Stores are still a thing?  I thought they all shut down around 2002.

I thought so too. When our local Wizards Store closed down at the mall, my gaming group and I literally held a candle light vigil and played a pick-up D&D game in front of its abandoned window front. Yeah, you heard me.

Please introduce yourself to the new D&D 5e forums in this very friendly thread started by Pukunui!

Make 5e Saving Throws better using Ramzour's Six Ability Save System!

Lost Mine of Phandelver: || Problems and Ideas with the adventure ||  Finding the Ghost of Neverwinter Wood ||

Giving classes iconic abilities that don't break the game: Ramzour's Class Defining Ability system.

Rules for a simple non-XP based leveling up system, using the Proficiency Bonus

MrHotter wrote:
I want to be one of those guys posting a picture of myself on Facebook so my friends can wonder the heck I'm doing. I'll be getting back at some people for their pictures of cats and lunch (or cats on their lunch).

It happens more often than you'd think. Mine loves to try and eat the ham slices out of my sandwiches while I'm eating it.

Please introduce yourself to the new D&D 5e forums in this very friendly thread started by Pukunui!

Lost Mine of Phandelver: || Problems and Ideas with the adventure ||  Finding the Ghost of Neverwinter Wood ||

Giving classes iconic abilities that don't break the game: Ramzour's Class Defining Ability system.

I own a store that gets stuff early.  I jumped through all the right hoops to make it so!  At any rate, I can confirm for the OP that this is the case.

Also, most good stores WILL offer a discount on pre-orders.  We can't match Amazon (who sometimes sell stuff for about what our COST is, the jerks) but all you gotta do is ask.

FitzTheRuke wrote:

I own a store that gets stuff early.  I jumped through all the right hoops to make it so!  At any rate, I can confirm for the OP that this is the case.

Also, most good stores WILL offer a discount on pre-orders.  We can't match Amazon (who sometimes sell stuff for about what our COST is, the jerks) but all you gotta do is ask.

Rock on, Fitz.

FitzTheRuke wrote:

You don't, by chance, have an online/paypal storefront, do you?

Qmark wrote:

FitzTheRuke wrote:

You don't, by chance, have an online/paypal storefront, do you?

Sadly, no.   I've a true Brick-and-Mortar place.   I don't really do any online sales or shipping out at all.  I'd love to expand to it, but I haven't the time and haven't found a way to delegate the work in such a way as to make it profitable.    The good news (for me, anyway) is I've managed to stay in business for over 20 years (since I was 19!) and haven't had to get a "real" job.    I sometimes, quite literally, get paid to play D&D.  (You gotta play it to sell it!)

And there really isn't anything I enjoy more than playing D&D.

I suggest to everyone who has access to an FLGS to try this:   Go to the store, find someone at least mid-level, and say:

"I'd really like to order the D&D 5th Edition stuff from you, rather than get it online.  You KNOW I can get it cheap online, but I'd like to support YOU.  I don't expect you to match Amazon, or anything, but what kind of deal can you get me?" 

This works especially well the more of the stuff you want.  Most stores will (in the very LEAST) offer some sort of package deal on a "full set" of PHB, MM, DMG, even if we have to split it up with the schedule.  If they want you to pay up front, it better be a sweet deal, too.  You ought to just be able to put your name down for it.

Do it SOON.  Our orders are due any day now. (Obviously earlier on the Starter Set and later on the DMG.) It really helps if we can just add onother one FOR YOU to our orders.

If you're polite about it (try not to sound too threatening) and they're rude back, try a store with better customer service.

Do this before ordering it online (unless you have no access to a store, or all the stores in your area are run by jerks) because it's better for the hobby to have actual physical locations.  We'll all miss them when they are gone.

FitzTheRuke wrote:

I suggest to everyone who has access to an FLGS to try this:   Go to the store, find someone at least mid-level, and say:

"I'd really like to order the D&D 5th Edition stuff from you, rather than get it online.  You KNOW I can get it cheap online, but I'd like to support YOU.  I don't expect you to match Amazon, or anything, but what kind of deal can you get me?" 

This works especially well the more of the stuff you want.  Most stores will (in the very LEAST) offer some sort of package deal on a "full set" of PHB, MM, DMG, even if we have to split it up with the schedule.  If they want you to pay up front, it better be a sweet deal, too.  You ought to just be able to put your name down for it.

Do it SOON.  Our orders are due any day now. (Obviously earlier on the Starter Set and later on the DMG.) It really helps if we can just add onother one FOR YOU to our orders.

If you're polite about it (try not to sound too threatening) and they're rude back, try a store with better customer service.

Do this before ordering it online (unless you have no access to a store, or all the stores in your area are run by jerks) because it's better for the hobby to have actual physical locations.  We'll all miss them when they are gone.

I use Amazon because there is no FLGS. If there was I think I would still use Amazon as paying double the US book price gets old fast. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Zardnaar wrote:

FitzTheRuke wrote:

I use Amazon because there is no FLGS. If there was I think I would still use Amazon as paying double the US book price gets old fast. 

I hear you with that one. In a lot of "big box" places, they use the canadian price, which is astly inflated. That said, the brick and mortar comic/game stores that I most commonly frequent regularly sell stuff AT the US price point, which makes it much easier for me to avoid Amazon and support someone I know.  Sadly, I live about 200ish km from the nearest comic/game shop(300 from the nearest Wizards store) so I must break and go through Amazon for the Starter Set. Fortunately, I'm moving in August, so the PHB, MM, and DMG are going to be bought from locally owned b&m places, since I'll be gaming there anyway. Woot!

Cape Breton, NS

@dwarfcleric on Twitter

The Dwarf Cleric Blog

rookrock wrote:

Zardnaar wrote:

FitzTheRuke wrote:

I hear you with that one. In a lot of "big box" places, they use the canadian price, which is astly inflated. That said, the brick and mortar comic/game stores that I most commonly frequent regularly sell stuff AT the US price point, which makes it much easier for me to avoid Amazon and support someone I know.  Sadly, I live about 200ish km from the nearest comic/game shop(300 from the nearest Wizards store) so I must break and go through Amazon for the Starter Set. Fortunately, I'm moving in August, so the PHB, MM, and DMG are going to be bought from locally owned b&m places, since I'll be gaming there anyway. Woot!

RPG books are expensive. I can buy PF for cheaper than the 1995  2nd ed PHB at 1995 prices vai Amazon. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Azzy1974 wrote:

o.O  All but one of the stores here is.  MtG is their lifeblood.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

FFSAA wrote:
Azzy1974 wrote:

Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business. Honestly, I can't believe that game is still going after all of these years. I stopped playing it like 15 years ago. It doesn't have much re-playability if you ask me. And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.

I'm slowly trying to convince them to play a REAL game like Dungeons and Dragons. 

I even tried to start up a weekly D&D Encounters thing at the store but I was never able to get it off the ground because the Community Organizer guy never responds to my emails. Their loss I suppose.

July 3rd.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Zardnaar wrote:

Yeah, that would suck alright.

Good enough place to mention that July 3rd is also when the first stage of D&D Basic will launch. It will, however, only contain the rules for character creation: 4 classes, 4 races, 4 backgrounds, equipment, and spells. Combat, exploration, and interaction rules won't be added until the PHB releases in August, so if you want the (paired down) final version of those in July you have to grab the Starter set.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Ramzour wrote:

Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business. Honestly, I can't believe that game is still going after all of these years. I stopped playing it like 15 years ago. It doesn't have much re-playability if you ask me. And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.

I'm slowly trying to convince them to play a REAL game like Dungeons and Dragons.

I even tried to start up a weekly D&D Encounters thing at the store but I was never able to get it off the ground because the Community Organizer guy never responds to my emails. Their loss I suppose.

Speaking as someone who used to volunteer in an official capacity for WotC, slamming the hobbies of potential players is the first rule they emphasize you don't do. If you're serious about running D&D, perhaps you should project a more friendly and open-minded outlook. Showing respect to people you disagree with and finding common ground with them is a lesson applicable for life in general.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Alter_Boy wrote:

Ramzour wrote:

Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business. Honestly, I can't believe that game is still going after all of these years. I stopped playing it like 15 years ago. It doesn't have much re-playability if you ask me. And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.

I even tried to start up a weekly D&D Encounters thing at the store but I was never able to get it off the ground because the Community Organizer guy never responds to my emails. Their loss I suppose.

Speaking as someone who used to volunteer in an official capacity for WotC, slamming the hobbies of potential players is the first rule they emphasize you don't do. If you're serious about running D&D, perhaps you should project a more friendly and open-minded outlook. Showing respect to people you disagree with and finding common ground with them is a lesson applicable for life in general.

My group of friends has an inside joke regarding this very thing.

When we are trying to play one game and some of our buddies who are supposed to be playing are instead chatting about some other game (such as a side conversation about League of Legends going on during our Shadowrun session), and that conversation is starting to be distracting to someone (usually because they are trying to concentrate on what is happening in the Shadowrun game but they keep thinking of what they want to add to the conversation about League instead) someone will interject with an intentionally obnoxious toned "Neeeeeeerrrrrrds!" to catch the attention of the players having the side conversation, and then mock Ramzour's exact statment in the best "that guy" voice they can manage "Stop talking about that stupid stuff I can't beleive you even still play, and play the real game on the table in front of you."

We probably have a pretty unusual sense of humor.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Alter_Boy wrote:
Ramzour wrote:

Whoa, settle down there. I think you're reading into what I said a bit negatively. Those were my personal opinions. However, I don't actually go around gaming stores and insult people that don't play D&D and slam their other hobbies. Why would I do that? 

When I do talk to potential new players about D&D, I tell them about all the fun things they can do with their character. I talk about using creativity and imagination and co-op storytelling. It's all positive stuff. Most of the time they don't even realize that this is what D&D is all about and get excited about playing.

AaronOfBarbaria wrote:

When we are trying to play one game and some of our buddies who are supposed to be playing are instead chatting about some other game (such as a side conversation about League of Legends going on during our Shadowrun session), and that conversation is starting to be distracting to someone (usually because they are trying to concentrate on what is happening in the Shadowrun game but they keep thinking of what they want to add to the conversation about League instead) someone will interject with an intentionally obnoxious toned "Neeeeeeerrrrrrds!" to catch the attention of the players having the side conversation, and then mock Ramzour's exact statment in the best "that guy" voice they can manage "Stop talking about that stupid stuff I can't beleive you even still play, and play the real game on the table in front of you."

Ha! Good times! 

(I think we'd probably have fun at the same table, you and I)

Ramzour wrote:

Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business. Honestly, I can't believe that game is still going after all of these years. I stopped playing it like 15 years ago. It doesn't have much re-playability if you ask me. And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.

If you're actually serious, all this says to me is that you are terrible at Magic

(Rules-lawyering is the best way to get better at Magic, just like D&D  )

The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

ankiyavon wrote:
Ramzour wrote:

If you're actually serious, all this says to me is that you are terrible at Magic

(Rules-lawyering is the best way to get better at Magic, just like D&D  )

That's really only half of it, though. If you don't have the card combos (acquired randomly through buying lots of decks or paying a lot for individual cards online), then you have nothing to rules-lawyer!

AaronOfBarbaria wrote:

Alter_Boy wrote:

Ramzour wrote:

Since we have that same problem (Only instead of League of legends it's either SWtoR or ESO) I am totally going to try this. Of course, since I play both as well, it'll get some laughter, but if it gets their attention back, I'm all for it. Our other DM will occasionally text someone. "You're up! Action?" and everyone will laugh.

Ramzour wrote:

FFSAA wrote:
Azzy1974 wrote:

I even tried to start up a weekly D&D Encounters thing at the store but I was never able to get it off the ground because the Community Organizer guy never responds to my emails. Their loss I suppose.

Any particular store you would recommend? Any idea how they compare to amazon etc regarding price? Stockholm is certainly within reasonable travel distance for me.

Be3Al2 wrote:

Ramzour wrote:

FFSAA wrote:
Azzy1974 wrote:

Any particular store you would recommend? Any idea how they compare to amazon etc regarding price? Stockholm is certainly within reasonable travel distance for me.

There are two main gaming stores that I like here in Stockholm.

1) The Dragon's Lair. It's within 15 minutes walk of T-Centralen. The basement has been converted to a huge dungeon of gaming rooms. I usually run my games there because it's a good mutual location for my players. Also, it's called the DRAGON'S LAIR, which is pretty awesome.

2) The Science Fiction Bookstore. It's probably about 20 minutes from T-Centralen by foot. It has everything book, movie, game, and swag related in the nerd or geek realms.

I like shopping for my gaming stuff (and gifts) at these two stores, but I admit that I pre-ordered the Starter Set from Amazon UK because I wasn't sure if the local stores were going to have them. If they start to carry the 5e products, I'll gladly complete my purchase of the core 3 at the stores. I'm not sure of the price differences, but once you have to pay for shipping from the UK, it probably evens out.

If you're ever coming into the city, send me a PM.

Ramzour wrote:
Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business.
Which is basically the case in almost every store. TCG and Wargames are what make the $$$

Ramzour wrote:
And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.
And yet it's the perfectly justified reason why the vast majority of stores will Warhammer and Magic first when it comes for table space and D&D far behind that. And while it may irk me as a D&D player, I can only agree with them from the economic perspective. The average Magic or Warhammer players leaves so much more revenue in the store.

Almost everybody buys one or two packs of cards at a magic gameday, no matter how many they already have. The D&D players in the majority make one bigger initial purchase of PHB, maybe a second one of their prefered class-splat-book and then easily frequent the D&D game days for months without purchasing anything else.

Mirtek wrote:
Ramzour wrote:
Here in Stockholm they have a couple nice FLGS but Magic the Gathering is 85% of their gaming business.

Which is basically the case in almost every store. TCG and Wargames are what make the $$$

Ramzour wrote:
And the way to get "better" at it is to buy more cards. Great business model I guess, but not very imaginative as a player.

And yet it's the perfectly justified reason why the vast majority of stores will Warhammer and Magic first when it comes for table space and D&D far behind that. And while it may irk me as a D&D player, I can only agree with them from the economic perspective. The average Magic or Warhammer players leaves so much more revenue in the store.

Almost everybody buys one or two packs of cards at a magic gameday, no matter how many they already have. The D&D players in the majority make one bigger initial purchase of PHB, maybe a second one of their prefered class-splat-book and then easily frequent the D&D game days for months without purchasing anything else.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's a good business model. For sure, they buy a lot of products, as you mention. But as a result, many gaming stores tend to overlook other games, specifically TTRPGs. 

Prime example: We were playing D&D the other day at our LFGS. We were at a table in the back, as far away from people as we could be in order to have a peaceful game. During play, a store employee came up to us and said, "hey guys, we have a Magic tournament starting in a little while. If space gets short, we're going to have to ask you to move somewhere else." That, to me, was extremely rude. Now, we didn't end up being moved, but the fact that it was considered was really offensive to me. That's what happens when a card game like MtG infects the good sense and judgement of a gaming store.

Ramzour wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt that it's a good business model. For sure, they buy a lot of products, as you mention. But as a result, many gaming stores tend to overlook other games, specifically TTRPGs. 

Prime example: We were playing D&D the other day at our LFGS. We were at a table in the back, as far away from people as we could be in order to have a peaceful game. During play, a store employee came up to us and said, "hey guys, we have a Magic tournament starting in a little while. If space gets short, we're going to have to ask you to move somewhere else." That, to me, was extremely rude. Now, we didn't end up being moved, but the fact that it was considered was really offensive to me. That's what happens when a card game like MtG infects the good sense and judgement of a gaming store.

It doesn't have anything to do with the type of game being involved.

It's about pre-scheduled event vs pickup game.

I've been asked to move to make space for a Magic tournament while playing Magic before, and for a Warhammer tournament, and probably for others (I've never been moved to make space for D&D Encounters because I stopped spending a lot of time at FLGS's before it got big).  It's not a big deal when a store uses its store space for a pre-scheduled event.  The guy came over and gave you a heads up that they might have to ask you to move if they didn't have enough space to deliver on the promises they had already made without moving you; how is this a big deal?

The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

Ramzour wrote:
But as a result, many gaming stores tend to overlook other games, specifically TTRPGs.
Yet the inconvenient truth for that matter is that they are economically right to overlook them.

Ramzour wrote:
Prime example: We were playing D&D the other day at our LFGS. We were at a table in the back, as far away from people as we could be in order to have a peaceful game. During play, a store employee came up to us and said, "hey guys, we have a Magic tournament starting in a little while. If space gets short, we're going to have to ask you to move somewhere else."
Which mirrors what I have witnessed in three different stores in Germany (although there it was the attempt to even get a table during "prime time" that was denied due to space being reserved for TCG and Tabletop wargaming) and what I read from so many others on different boards.

Yet I still can't fault the stores. For them it's not just some hobby, they have to make rents and their living.

ankiyavon wrote:
Ramzour wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with the type of game being involved.

It's about pre-scheduled event vs pickup game.

I've been asked to move to make space for a Magic tournament while playing Magic before, and for a Warhammer tournament, and probably for others (I've never been moved to make space for D&D Encounters because I stopped spending a lot of time at FLGS's before it got big).  It's not a big deal when a store uses its store space for a pre-scheduled event.  The guy came over and gave you a heads up that they might have to ask you to move if they didn't have enough space to deliver on the promises they had already made without moving you; how is this a big deal?

It matters because we all pay our membership fees at the gaming store to use the rooms for our gaming. My game was a pre-scheduled event too, you know. We have 6 players + me that make arrangements in our busy lives to play D&D for an afternoon. We only had one table out of probably 100 tables (it's a big basement and has multiple rooms). We got there at opening time and grabbed an open table as far away from other people as possible. If some other group shows up a couple hours later and there are no free tables, that's not my problem.

I don't appreciate being told that MY game is less important because some other game needs to happen. That's why it was rude.

Ramzour wrote:

It matters because we all pay our membership fees at the gaming store to use the rooms for our gaming. My game was a pre-scheduled event too, you know. We have 6 players + me that make arrangements in our busy lives to play D&D for an afternoon. We only had one table out of probably 100 tables (it's a big basement and has multiple rooms). We got there at opening time and grabbed an open table as far away from other people as possible. If some other group shows up a couple hours later and there are no free tables, that's not my problem.

I don't appreciate being told that MY game is less important because some other game needs to happen. That's why it was rude.

My mistake; I didn't realize yours was also a scheduled event.

Even when paying a membership fee, to me, there's a big difference between 'guys got together' and 'this has been scheduled with the game shop in advance'.  Whether or not the guys scheduled it within themselves is not the point; if it was scheduled with the game store, it is inherently more important to the store, because that means that the store made promises that there would be sufficient room.

If you scheduled it with the shop in advance, then you are correct, it was rude.

FitzTheRuke wrote:

Support local businesses wherever possible folks. Keep your money within your community, and out of the hands of corporate juggernauts. 

Gizmoduck_5000 wrote:

FitzTheRuke wrote:

Support local businesses wherever possible folks. Keep your money within your community, and out of the hands of corporate juggernauts. 

Amen, and thanks!

Alter_Boy wrote:

And speaking as someone who, like Ramzour, has repeatedly tried to start a D&D Encounters or even the previous incarnation of 4e Organised Play at several FLGS that have open tables, I can tell you that it's an uphill battle outside of the US. In every single place I tried, I approached the store owners or managers in a friendly manner and asked them if they'd assist me since it requires THEM to approve you as an organiser. And in every single instance I was told straight up that they'd be glad to have it and yet never returned emails, were always too busy (despite going into the stores and seeing them standing around doing nothing for hours on end), or ended up telling me that they didn't want to do it after all.

Worse, I even managed to get myself a fifteen minute lecture on why Pathfinder was superior to D&D 4e and why nobody would want to come and play it... from the store owner.

Wizards Organised Play is a bloody mess as well. They couldn't find their own arse with a GPS.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Sign In to post comments