I'm confused (Ask a simple question get a simple answer)

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

Q001: What are the starting available sectors? I am looking at the DM map for the Golem Laboratories but don't see an 'Entry Point' tag

A001: Entry Points. DMs and the event coordinator work together to choose starting locations for the second session from seven entry points in the Doomvault. Black gates in the following areas have entry points labeled on the map: area 1 (Abyssal Prisons), area 23 (Blood Pens), area 33 (Masters’ Domain), area 38 (Far Realm Cysts), area 49 (Forests of Slaughter), area 61 (Ooze Grottos), and area 77 (Predator Pools).

Q002: I wonder how bad it is if the players started in the the area 8, in the Golem Pits 

Pretty sure the Golem Lab's entry point is room 87, because there's a Contact Stone there, and that seems to be common to all the other entry points in the dungeon. It's just not properly labeled.

mortaine wrote:

Pretty sure the Golem Lab's entry point is room 87, because there's a Contact Stone there, and that seems to be common to all the other entry points in the dungeon. It's just not properly labeled.

There is no black portal in room 87, you must mean 88. The subheader Entery Points on page 20 explains that Golem Lab is not an option offered by Syanna

Yeah, I see that now. Interesting.

Did you start your group there? I don't think it will be a deal-breaker, anyway.

Question:

How are you guys handling rests in the Doomvault. At my store, I have 5 DMs, (I'm playing this season), and they are all very much divided on the subject of rests inside the Doomvault. Some say that you should not get any short rests and the only way to get one is to back to the Gatehouse or one visit to the pool. Other DMs are allowing teams to take short rests but not long rests unless they go theGatehouse. The test is very vague on this subject and never says in so many words what the intention is. Can I get some feed back from you guys as to how you are handling that situation?

I generally think that players should recieve a balanced play experience unless they say otherwise. I don't like giving extended rests when I DM for a group in a dungeon, but saying that there should be plenty of items and loot available that make up for the fact that you cannot reach a tavern.

Quoting the adventure "The incursion into the Doomvault is a face paced assault in which the characters will have little time for typical rests."

5 DMs playing, be sure not to try to compare each tables decisions unless its too radical as a DMs decision not to give their party a short rest may only be based on the area the adventurers are exploring.

Spykes wrote:

Question:

How are you guys handling rests in the Doomvault. At my store, I have 5 DMs, (I'm playing this season), and they are all very much divided on the subject of rests inside the Doomvault. Some say that you should not get any short rests and the only way to get one is to back to the Gatehouse or one visit to the pool. Other DMs are allowing teams to take short rests but not long rests unless they go theGatehouse. The test is very vague on this subject and never says in so many words what the intention is. Can I get some feed back from you guys as to how you are handling that situation?

I've been discouraging short rests.  The Doomvault isn't a static dungeon, deliveries are made, patrols sweep through, creatures migrate between where they work and where they sleep.  I'm sure it may be possible to find a place to hole up and get an hour of rest, but the only safe place for that is the Gatehouse.  So far my group has taken one long rest in the Seclusion Crypt after suffering fireball bombardment in the Master's Domain.  No short rests attempts yet.

In the gatehouse: Short rests are ok, long rests are not.

In the Sanctuary: Long rests are OK but have a cost.

In the dungeon: Short rests roll for random encounter. Long rests auto-trigger a tough random encounter for that zone and probably bump the dungeon alert level up.

That's how the other GM and I have agreed to run it. I would suggest that all the GMs either get together and agree, or have the coordinator make a decision about when and where they're acceptable.

I like that Mortaine - will definitely be using those guidelines and advising my fellow DM likewise.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

mortaine wrote:

In the gatehouse: Short rests are ok, long rests are not.

In the Sanctuary: Long rests are OK but have a cost.

In the dungeon: Short rests roll for random encounter. Long rests auto-trigger a tough random encounter for that zone and probably bump the dungeon alert level up.

That's how the other GM and I have agreed to run it. I would suggest that all the GMs either get together and agree, or have the coordinator make a decision about when and where they're acceptable.

I agree- this dungeon is supposed to be difficult. The gatehouse is used by other Thayans so they can't stay there for too long. I dig it.

I'm seeing that the cantrip spell eldritch blast is listed on a lot of the spell casters in the module, but I do not see the spell listed anywhere in the pdfs. Where do I find the spell?

TThis cantrip, and several others spells given to characters in the Bestiary section, can be found in the Interim Rules Supplement Spells document which can be downloaded at the same webpage as the module.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja