Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for May 2014

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of May, 2014.

In one of the prize boosters at the prerelease, one of our local players got a booster with 2 mythics, one of them foil.  And he didn't even get first place.

 

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

 

would be amazing to find one of those. I would like to know what the rate is though, how many booster boxes you would have to buy to get one on average.

mulen wrote:

would be amazing to find one of those. I would like to know what the rate is though, how many booster boxes you would have to buy to get one on average.

 

Probably extremely low. Out of the thousands and thousands of people across the world who attended the prerelease, and most of them having access to a camera/phone, there's only 13 pictures of someone showing a god pack on Google Images right now. There's probably plenty of people across all social media claiming to have opened one and while a number of them are telling the truth, we have no visual proof of it. Unless they lowered the chances just for the prerelease (which is unlikely and would be cost prohibitive anyway) it's likely less than 1% chance of opening one. In a perfect world that means at least 3 booster boxes which would be...a lot of commons and uncommons. And it'd only be worth it if you haven't gotten a single god yet, which one box usually gives 1-4. 

 

So while I'd love to open one, I don't think it's worth buying more boosters than normal.

Euant wrote:

 

mulen wrote:

would be amazing to find one of those. I would like to know what the rate is though, how many booster boxes you would have to buy to get one on average.

 

 

Probably extremely low. Out of the thousands and thousands of people across the world who attended the prerelease, and most of them having access to a camera/phone, there's only 13 pictures of someone showing a god pack on Google Images right now. There's probably plenty of people across all social media claiming to have opened one and while a number of them are telling the truth, we have no visual proof of it. Unless they lowered the chances just for the prerelease (which is unlikely and would be cost prohibitive anyway) it's likely less than 1% chance of opening one. In a perfect world that means at least 3 booster boxes which would be...a lot of commons and uncommons. And it'd only be worth it if you haven't gotten a single god yet, which one box usually gives 1-4. 

 

So while I'd love to open one, I don't think it's worth buying more boosters than normal.

I didnt think it would be a very high rate. I believe the zendikar hidden treasure cards were around 1 for every 10 booster boxes, since these cost wizards less (just printing more rather than buying vintage rares) the rate would probably be higher. my guess would be 1 per case (6 boxes), but thats just a guess. still its a good promo and something to consider while i decide how many boxes of the set to buy.

There may be some people who should have opened some boosters and found one of these... And there may also not have a single person who made it, because the chances of achieving this may be abyssal...

 

Well, i wish insane luck for all of us =)

The card of the day archive is broken: the link for teh April 2014 archives goes to the may 2014 archive.

In "A Walk on the Wild Side", Adam wrote, "erdana, sans-serif">One cool trick with this deck involves attacking with the Wild Beastmastererdana, sans-serif">, putting its trigger on the stack, then bloodrushing Slaughterhornerdana, sans-serif"> to give all of your attackers +4/+4 (or more, with additional pump spells!)" Given the wording on the card ("Whenever Wild Beastmaster attacks..."), I thought one needed to cast a pump spell prior to declaring attacks. Bloodrushing during combat won't boost the other attacking creatures because Wild Beastmaster's ability triggers when it attacks, not during the attack. Have I been playing this card wrong? If so, it just got much better in my eyes.

You're correct that it triggers on the attack, but the +X/X isn't determined until the ability resolves.  So after Wild Beastmaster's ability is triggered but before it resolves, you have time to change its power.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

When did the Pro Tour become open to the public again? It was such a big deal when they decided these would be closed events, and now they're just casually mentioning the side activities?

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I'm pretty sure the "special mystery character" is Kiora, but I would rofl if it was something random like Tibalt or Nicol Bolas.

That promo Elesh Norn is freaking awesome. 

That is one incredibly sweet suite of judge promos. Wow. Nice stuff.

But what exactly IS the Elesh Norn promo? Is it in Phyrexian??

Goatllama wrote:

But what exactly IS the Elesh Norn promo? Is it in Phyrexian??

Yes, it's Phyrexian.

I BET you think Ajani looks hot in that armor, Bonnie. -eyebrow waggle-

Let's just hope that Ajani has already had breakfast. Also it's a shame that you can barely see the little guy on the card...

I'll admit, I got my hopes up that it was a new squirrel token in a new release. =p

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

That's about to be the art on homemade squirrel tokens

The Junk deck looks really cool; I'd love to see an updated version for Journey into Nyx.

@Kalatash- Personally I ship Ajani/Elspeth, and I'd never dream of treading on her armored toes, so I'll keep any such thoughts to myself. :D

 

@Kageyaiba- Ajani doesn't seem to be interested, I think he's safe. 

 

@Flyheight- Sorry. Maybe someday. /crosses fingers

 

@Jeleva- I'd be sad if it wasn't! 

It's obvious what Ajani is doing, as the card title explains it all - he is mentoring the Hero of Squirrels. Probably making the squirrel do some kind of grueling training from hell to teach it martial arts.

So..... Modern event deck comes out in 3 weeks and still not another word about it? Some of us want to pre-order things to make sure they get them, but they announced this back in January on the arcana and have never said another word about it. When can we expect anything at all about this other than date and price? If it was 20 bucks or something I wouldn't be so concerned, but for 75 bucks I want to know whats going on before I drop the cash to pre-order this.

CautionFireLizards wrote:

It's obvious what Ajani is doing, as the card title explains it all - he is mentoring the Hero of Squirrels. Probably making the squirrel do some kind of grueling training from hell to teach it martial arts.

 

Of course! How did I miss that! 

 

"Now, young Hero of Chipmonks, see that mountain? You must run to the top and pick me a flower. A blue flower, with red thorns. Bring it back to me before the sun sets."

"squeak squeakum!" 

Squirrels are cute and cuddly? Someone's never played against an Earthcraft/Squirrel Nest deck. Especially one featuring Day of the Dragons.

JesusKong wrote:

Squirrels are cute and cuddly? Someone's never played against an Earthcraft/Squirrel Nest deck. Especially one featuring Day of the Dragons.

 

I have not-so-sheepishly admitted to adoring the frightning and ferocious.

i guess the only thing better would be something that look cute and cuddly, but is ferocious.

 

I'd say squirrels fit the bill. :D 

Vianki wrote:

 

JesusKong wrote:

Squirrels are cute and cuddly? Someone's never played against an Earthcraft/Squirrel Nest deck. Especially one featuring Day of the Dragons.

 

 

I have not-so-sheepishly admitted to adoring the frightning and ferocious.

i guess the only thing better would be something that look cute and cuddly, but is ferocious.

 

I'd say squirrels fit the bill. :D 

 

 

You got that right So why's it say D&D Insider under your pic in your posts? Do you have all the D&D inside info?

The dnd Insider thing is a community badge. It just means I have a subscription to D&DI. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tools.aspx )

Oh god, oh god, please PLEASE never bring "special" rarity that vintage masters is getting into paper magic. Mythic rares were already a terrible idea. Super-Ultra-Mythic rares that you'll need a playset of to be a competetive standard player will definitely get me to leave this game after 15 years.

ElvishSniper wrote:

Oh god, oh god, please PLEASE never bring "special" rarity that vintage masters is getting into paper magic. Mythic rares were already a terrible idea. Super-Ultra-Mythic rares that you'll need a playset of to be a competetive standard player will definitely get me to leave this game after 15 years.

 

Seeing as the cards receiving the "special" rarity are either banned or restricted to one in all of the formats they are legal in, you aren't going to have to worry about "playsets" of them as you just get one and you are done (and I would assume this would carry over to paper magic as well though they are never going to make cards as powerful ever again).  Also, since they can't ever reprint the power nine in paper magic until the reserve list is removed there is unlikely to be any reason for them to make the new rarity for paper magic.  

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

"We decided to create the Special rarity because cards like Mox Ruby have powerful effects in Limited that would warp the environment and lololololol jk it's cuz money."

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir, you do realize that getting a playset of a power nine card will not be any more difficult than getting a playset of any normal rare in the set, right? If they're looking to squeeze money out of vintage players, this doesn't seem the most effective method.

EyeballFrog wrote:

Amarsir, you do realize that getting a playset of a power nine card will not be any more difficult than getting a playset of any normal rare in the set, right? If they're looking to squeeze money out of vintage players, this doesn't seem the most effective method.

In that a playset for the P9 equals one of each and a playset of a rare equals 4 of each, disregarding that there are restricted cards besides the p9?  Sure, that math checks out.  EXCEPT that the P9 is being printed for the first time and the other cards are not. So you're echoing the same excuse they used when creating Mythic Rares in the first place, that they'd be "only slightly less common than a Tenth Edition rare."  It's just not going to work out that way because even if 1x VM Ancestral Recall is as hard to get as 4x VM Necropotence, the latter will be cheaper because of all the other printings.

 

That said, the money flow is far more indirect.  Drafters will be paying the pack prices and reselling the cards to buy more drafts. Vintage players will be giving their tix to the drafters, and will do so based on the expectation of them going up in value. So what Wizards is doing is less a direct squeeze of vintage players and more of a pump-and-dump.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

It should say May thru July promos lol

JesusKong wrote:

It should say May thru July promos lol

No, they missed July promo, Bile Blight has 008/012 number, it's August promo

mulen wrote:

would be amazing to find one of those. I would like to know what the rate is though, how many booster boxes you would have to buy to get one on average.

 

Got lucky enough to crack an Ajani and a foil Godsend in the same pack at the prerelease.

vaultboyzk wrote:

 

JesusKong wrote:

It should say May thru July promos lol

 

No, they missed July promo, Bile Blight has 008/012 number, it's August promo

 

Oh okay, they've got it fixed now. Good thing Jesus and Liam Neeson's son are on the case. You're welcome Wizards

I wonder what blue will look like in Khans of Tarkir.

Projektnine99 wrote:

 

mulen wrote:

would be amazing to find one of those. I would like to know what the rate is though, how many booster boxes you would have to buy to get one on average.

 

 

Got lucky enough to crack an Ajani and a foil Godsend in the same pack at the prerelease.

Nice, bet your glad the prerelease is sealed and not draft.

What kind of creature is that in the first picture? Looks sort of like the cat from Kung-Fu Panda. Is this what cats look like on Tarkir?

JesusKong wrote:

What kind of creature is that in the first picture? Looks sort of like the cat from Kung-Fu Panda. Is this what cats look like on Tarkir?

Yes, that's exactly what it is, a big cat.

http://imgur.com/8F2xVtM