Deities of Toril during The Sundering

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

So I have a player who wants to play a Lawful Neutral Paladin. 

So I'm thinking Lathander....right? That's the Lawful Neutral aspect of Amaunator ...right? 

Is that soumthing that makes sense during the Sundering?

I know Sir Isteval workships Amaunator as a Lawful Good Paladin. I also know Paladins needs to align to their greater god. So that makes sense since he just views Amaunator as Lathander but is aligned to Amaunator not Lathander. 

Can a Paladin be aligned to Lathander- is that Greater God still around? I hear it's likely to return in 5th.

Help! 

EDIT: If he can't channel Lathander since Lathander is going aorund calling himself Amaunator would Kelemvor be an option for Lawful Neutral? Any other optopns for Neutral?

A pally can be one step away from a god he worships. LN would work for the LG god.  But if he really wants LN, go team Helm!  Hes back so that fun.

I noticed you posted in my other post- I thought Helm was dead. (This is so confusing)

Where odes it say that a Pally can be one step away from the god he workships? 

Though paladins are typically considered lawful good, evil paladins and those of non-lawful alignments can exist, though all paladins must be of the exact alignment of their patron deity.[1] All paladins are expected to be a paragon of their alignment and a model for others of their faith.

Think that might be a 3e version of paladins being able to have a deity one step away on the alignment scale.  4e changed that, obviously, but it's something I've noticed others ignore.  As to Helm, he came (or is supposed to, if it hasn't been released yet) back in some novel or other I think, maybe its just a sidenote to 5e though, like Bane's return during 3e.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Helm's coming back.

As for the step thing, sorry.  I forgot about the change from 3e->4e->5e.  Now its ok to be any alignment and be a pally.

But if your LN and are just about justice, go Helm.

or a different form of Justice and have a Paladin of Hoar!

sliceoffruit wrote:
So I'm thinking Lathander....right? That's the Lawful Neutral aspect of Amaunator ...right?

I know Sir Isteval workships Amaunator as a Lawful Good Paladin.

- Lathander is the Neutral good aspect of Amaunator

- Sir Isteval worships Lathander

- Paladins do not have to have to be the exact same aligment as their diety in 3e and 5e (and if you were playing 4e, you probably wouldn't be using the term 'Lawful Neutral')

- Clerics still need to be within one step of their diety's alignment in 5e (Paladins might have the same requirement in the final product)

- Paladins do not have to be Lawful good in 4e and 5e (but they did in earlier editions, mostly).

- Amaunator (LG) would actually be ok for a LN Paladin, but Lathander (NG) probably would not be.

- Some other options include: Torm (LG), Bahamut (LG), Gond (N), Kelemvor (LN), Moradin (LG), Oghma (N), Silvanus (N) and Mystra (LN)

Any news on if the Mulhorandi gods will be making a comeback?

Gotta agree, a LN paladin probably wouldn't be a good fit for Lathander, who is practically the poster child for his alignment, as in just Good and screw the details of Law or Chaos. 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

sliceoffruit wrote:

Is that soumthing that makes sense during the Sundering?

I know Sir Isteval workships Amaunator as a Lawful Good Paladin. I also know Paladins needs to align to their greater god. So that makes sense since he just views Amaunator as Lathander but is aligned to Amaunator not Lathander. 

Can a Paladin be aligned to Lathander- is that Greater God still around? I hear it's likely to return in 5th.

Help! 

EDIT: If he can't channel Lathander since Lathander is going aorund calling himself Amaunator would Kelemvor be an option for Lawful Neutral? Any other optopns for Neutral?

LOL, this is quite painful irony. The 3e FR Books paved the ground for Amaunator's succession of Lathander and now people who never took a look into Faerûn's past think it's the other way around. What makes it even more painful is the claim that Lathander is the LN aspect of Amaunator. Ridiculous!

For all who don't know it, Lathander is the NEUTRAL GOOD Deity of dawn. Amaunator was in ages past a LAWFUL NEUTRAL god.

Page 34 of "Netheril - Empire of Magic":

Amaunator
Greater Power of Mechanus‚ LN
PORTFOLIO: Bureaucracy, contracts, law, order, the sun, rulership
TITLES: The Yellow God, the Keeper of the Eternal Sun, Keeper of Law
DOMAIN NAME: Mechanus/Keep of the Eternal Sun
ALLIES: Jergal
FOES: Kozah, Shar
SYMBOL: Sun with a face on the solar disk
WOR. ALIGN.: LG, NG, LN, N, LE, NE

Yes mate, he had LAWFUL EVIL and NEUTRAL EVIL followers.

Stigger wrote:

Think that might be a 3e version of paladins being able to have a deity one step away on the alignment scale.  4e changed that, obviously, but it's something I've noticed others ignore.  As to Helm, he came (or is supposed to, if it hasn't been released yet) back in some novel or other I think, maybe its just a sidenote to 5e though, like Bane's return during 3e.

Prior to 4e Paladins just had to be LAWFUL GOOD. No options available. This might have been the reason why the "one step away" rule came into play. Otherwise only LG Deities would have been able to have Palis.

mvincent wrote:

sliceoffruit wrote:

I know Sir Isteval workships Amaunator as a Lawful Good Paladin.

- Lathander is the Neutral good aspect of Amaunator

- Sir Isteval worships Lathander

- Paladins do not have to have to be the exact same aligment as their diety in 3e and 5e (and if you were playing 4e, you probably wouldn't be using the term 'Lawful Neutral')

- Clerics still need to be within one step of their diety's alignment in 5e (Paladins might have the same requirement in the final product)

- Paladins do not have to be Lawful good in 4e and 5e (but they did in earlier editions, mostly).

- Amaunator (LG) would actually be ok for a LN Paladin, but Lathander (NG) probably would not be.

- Some other options include: Torm (LG), Bahamut (LG), Gond (N), Kelemvor (LN), Moradin (LG), Oghma (N), Silvanus (N) and Mystra (LN)

Thanks mate!