Opportunity attacks

Is there anything that states what actions result in an opportunity attack, other than moving out of someone/thing's reach? And if so, does a successful attack stop any/all actions?

ie: Had a player attempt to deliver a Coup de Grace on a sleeping foe with another foe at his back. It was decided at the table (not my suggestion) that this action would cause an Opp. Attack. The enemy landed his attack and it was then decided this stopped the CdG action.

I kind of don't think that was handled right.

Does a successful Opp. Attack end your turn, or does it just halt your movement?

Nothing provokes an opportunity attack except moving out of someone's reach. After the opportunity attack is resolved, the character can continue moving unless he's unable to for some reason (such as being dead, unconscious, restrained, etc.)

This is a situation where your group was playing Next by the rules of another edition.

In general, Next errs on the side of letting you do stuff without penalty, while other editions often erred on the side of stopping you from doing things.

Huh, ok. Thanks.

Weird, I kind of like the restriction/consequences of opportunity attacks. Though I'd keep the it doesn't stop you part. Guess its another house rule.

You might want to give it a try first. The system is designed to keep combat moving fast and simple. Of course, you might very well decide to houserule in some complexity, but it's worth a shot to see how it feels in practice without it.

Thanks again, I will give it a go both ways and see which feels better.

Gonchar wrote:

Is there anything that states what actions result in an opportunity attack, other than moving out of someone/thing's reach? And if so, does a successful attack stop any/all actions?

ie: Had a player attempt to deliver a Coup de Grace on a sleeping foe with another foe at his back. It was decided at the table (not my suggestion) that this action would cause an Opp. Attack. The enemy landed his attack and it was then decided this stopped the CdG action.

I kind of don't think that was handled right.

Does a successful Opp. Attack end your turn, or does it just halt your movement?

091913 Feats "Tactical Warrior" Page 4 is currently the only way to have your OA stop an opponents movement. 

EDIT: That I'm aware of.

Proning effects such as Vortex Punch Ki or the Trip maneuver may also possibly halt (or slow down significantly) movement triggering an opportunity attack.

Sign In to post comments