3/3/2014 Feature: "Playing with Jace & Vraska"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature, "Playing with Jace & Vraska", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Early versions of the deck included a bit more milling and mill rewards, which worked out because Vraska's deck wasn't graveyard focused. However, the playtesters found this unsatisfying, so I tried to build the deck as more of a traditional control deck using tempo and counterspells to overcome Vraska's powerful magic."

I wonder why bothering with mill at all? Some mechanics like destroy creature, discard from hand, deal direct damage etc work on their own and have use even in small amount of cards included in deck, but this is not case of mill. Mill is either all or nothing. If done half way, it has almost no effect on game, if done focused way, it is way to win the game. Same like if you would have deck with 10 creatures with infect and 10 creatures dealing normal damage. It would be ineffective way, because both strategies are going their own way and are not helping other strategy, so basically opponent will have to be killed virtually twice. Playing mill partially is same way inconsistent and blue deck is ineffectively forcing you to kill opponent twice.

Please next time go all or nothing if you want to involve mill strategy, otherwise you are just hurting deck on purpose.

I must say I really like this duel deck. I preordered 3 and was a bit nervous whether they would be good.

From the looks, these decks look quite nicely balanced and interesting. The card value included is alright, the inclusion of reaper of the wilds is a pleasant surprise (though some where hoping for either abrupt decay or maelstrom pulse or even pernicious deed), so I really look forward playing these decks with my wife! (if the kids let us that is...)

Lastly one word about the new artwork: I think it really rocks! I heard the artist for Jace and Vraska got alot of hate through the internet - that's really a shame! Vraska is very cool and Jace is better than the original artwork from RtR!

I was hoping the "Playing with Jace & Vraska" article would have a report of an actual game or two that some designers had played.

maybe the gave up

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

spirit_of_blue wrote:

"Early versions of the deck included a bit more milling and mill rewards, which worked out because Vraska's deck wasn't graveyard focused. However, the playtesters found this unsatisfying, so I tried to build the deck as more of a traditional control deck using tempo and counterspells to overcome Vraska's powerful magic."

I wonder why bothering with mill at all? Some mechanics like destroy creature, discard from hand, deal direct damage etc work on their own and have use even in small amount of cards included in deck, but this is not case of mill. Mill is either all or nothing. If done half way, it has almost no effect on game, if done focused way, it is way to win the game. Same like if you would have deck with 10 creatures with infect and 10 creatures dealing normal damage. It would be ineffective way, because both strategies are going their own way and are not helping other strategy, so basically opponent will have to be killed virtually twice. Playing mill partially is same way inconsistent and blue deck is ineffectively forcing you to kill opponent twice.

Please next time go all or nothing if you want to involve mill strategy, otherwise you are just hurting deck on purpose.

The mill in this deck is not meant to be a win condition, it is meant to go well with the cards like memory lapse and griptide that put cards back on top of the library as a way to get rid of them.

mulen wrote:

The mill in this deck is not meant to be a win condition, it is meant to go well with the cards like memory lapse and griptide that put cards back on top of the library as a way to get rid of them.

Putting cards into a graveyard also makes Archaeomancer, Body Double, Jace's Phantasm, and Spelltwine better. You can use Halimar Depths or Future Sight to look at the top cards of your library, and if you do not like them, you can use Thought Scour to get rid of them.

I like these decks the best for the alternative art cubeworthy cards. I am especially excited about the Control Magic! 

mill control for the win orcish spy

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Sign In to post comments