Input for Western CS

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I’m thinking of putting together a western style campaign setting and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas.

I’m not talking about guns and trains either. Sword and sorcery in a new land, lots of high-deserts and prairies, utilitarian with a lot of horses and cattle. Not so many grand cities but  lot of one-street towns and lawlessness. Basically a D&D world where the bards sing like Marty Robbins

A two tiered system of law enforcement with paladins being in the Order of the Star , or sherrifs. the other tier would be rangers who act like Texas Rangers?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

taradusis wrote:

A two tiered system of law enforcement with paladins being in the Order of the Star , or sherrifs. the other tier would be rangers who act like Texas Rangers?

Not bad. Though in both european and American law inforcement there's only one sherrif in a particular region. But that's a good start. 

Deputy Sherrif
most sherrifs are backed up by a few deputies , perhaps a sherrif is the highest ranking paladin and deputies are all 1st or 2nd level trainees who are waiting for divine abilities to kick in.
laying on hands
is the most important job of a sherrif to heal drunks after a brawl?
lilty langtree
Famous singer in old west. Asked people to stop throwing gold pouches at her because she bruised easy. Was once critized for her singing and the heckler was shot dead on the spot.
Posse Comiatus
Peoples Cpmmitee. A sherrif has the right to form a group to pursue criminals.
Bandits
The perfect size for a bandit gang is forty. One bandit leader who is 2 levels higher than the party and gives his name to the gang, Ex. Black Bart.  Each pc should have a match in the gang and the rest of the gang should be filler.

possible indian analogue
In any Cowboys vx. Indians scenario you have to give alot of thought to who's going to be the indians. So are Indians solitary with a deep knowledge of the land, sort of a Tonto? Are indians numerous and weak like in the saturday morning westerns? I think with tweaking goblins might make good indians. A goblin mounted on a worg is fast enough to chase a party but the worgs are too tough for low level parties to deal with, perhaps replace them with war dogs for the males and riding dogs for the females, this allows an entire tribe to be mounted without making individual goblins too tough. Another idea is to use the Tauric template to create a goblin/dog centauroid. each would be fast,medium sized and equiped with a shortbow,throw in a few tribal shamans and these would make a very good opponent,consider taking away light blindness?
character
Gabby hayes starred in a lot of westerns. Look him up on wikipedia. Base a dwarf prospector off gabby hayes. the dwarf says colorful stuff like.; "Thars gold In them thar hills" "The injuns are on the warpath" " consarn it,Black Bart has held up the Stage" "yer Cain't trust Anyone under a Hunnert,nohow,noways!" 'The onliest good injun is a deadun."
ponderossa
The Ponderossa was a mythical ranch in texas that was larger than the state of rhode island. See the wikipedia and imdb for details on this lorne greene vehicule. This ranch could hire pcs to hunt giant size vermin ,guard shipments of goods,anything too dangerous or unimportant for the ranch hands.

The Indian cultures are going to be different depending on the region. For example Bhukas will serve that purpose in desert locations whereas elves might have an native type culture in more forested regions. 

Early on I’m using the Red Dead Redemption map for working on because it has all the classic western landscapes.

I had an idea one time that elves would be the savages. They would be ignorant of magic,afraid of it actually. It would be an oppurtunity for the Humans to make

contact,teach them about magic and civilization. Clerics could be the Law (3.5 ed St. Cuthbert style order ) and maybe a conflict between the Arcane and the Divine

schools of magic. I played Darkwatch on Xbox. Vampires in the Old West. It has mineshafts and abandoned churches etc. Could be a good source for maps and

backdrops.  Hope this helps,Happy Gaming,M.

Suppose the yuan-ti are a force for evil in your campaign, sort of like a Yakusa. They sell kobold eggs to mining concerns because kobolds can mine like a medium sized character while needing half the food and water.  The kobolds keep rebelling and the pcs get called in to reclaim the mines. The Yuan-ti conspire with kobolds? Remeber the david carridine series " Kung Fu"? The kobolds/yuan-ti would be asian analogues.

Sign In to post comments