SotSC question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

I was going to post this in the Season 17 section but it doesn't look like there is one yet. I just received my free packet from my FLGS and I took a look at it and had a minor concern. In the Interim Rules Supplement it states "If you have downloaded the previous playtest packet, below is a list oof changes you will see." but there are no changes listed. I assume that is because there is zero difference between the last playtest packet and this material but am at work and cannot delve into it to confirm.

Yep, there are no changes from the last packet (October I believe) though the new interim pack only covers up to level 10 now.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

I do notice the monsters don't completely sync with the Bestiary.  Since I'm planning to upscale the adventure to start at Level 4 (torches & pitchforks if the characters had to start over again and I don't think starting at level 2 will placate them) I'm going to beef them up anyway using the best from both worlds plus some modifications based on previous threads of people doing the same thing in LotCS. 

I'm hoping Seasion 18 will be the continuation and will be written to be level 5 to start since this ends at level 4.  Maybe that way I can guide this to be levels 4 - 6 and only be one off for the next one. 

Weezoh2 wrote:

I do notice the monsters don't completely sync with the Bestiary.  Since I'm planning to upscale the adventure to start at Level 4 (torches & pitchforks if the characters had to start over again and I don't think starting at level 2 will placate them) I'm going to beef them up anyway using the best from both worlds plus some modifications based on previous threads of people doing the same thing in LotCS. 

I'm hoping Seasion 18 will be the continuation and will be written to be level 5 to start since this ends at level 4.  Maybe that way I can guide this to be levels 4 - 6 and only be one off for the next one. 

"GAINING EXPERIENCE - Characters start the adventure at 2nd level. They then gain levels as follows. 3rd Level: When the party returns from Julkoun, the characters advance to 3rd level. 4th Level:  When the party returns from Firehammer Hold, the characters advance to 4th level. 5th Level: After the party deals with the fiends during the adventure’s conclusion, the characters advance to 5th level."

Taken from the adventure (sidebar page 21) so would think the follow on which they say continues the story directly should indeed be level 5 onwards.

At my FLGS we're back to two regular tables and will be running at the suggested levels.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

I noticed this from the sidebar on page 11: 

As presented, the adventure sites are staged to portray the world and story, and to show the usual habits of a site’s creatures...

Another aspect of this adventure’s staging is that the sites are intended to be explored in two play sessions, or about four hours of play. Combined with the goal of portraying a world rather than a series of discrete challenges, this staging means the monster groups are not intended to be consistently challenging. Some “encounters” should seem easy, especially if the players use clever tactics. A few of the enemies and enemy groups are presented to be a serious threat with fitting rewards, but even these foes are not and should not be immune to skilled play.

Looking over the monsters, it's going to be tough making this a challenge for my group. I'm a little concerned that the pendulum may have swung too far from the peak of 4th edition deadliness (such as the concluding battle in Season 11 War of Everlasting Darkness) to something not meant to be tactically satisfying, but instead a completely roleplaying experience.

AlHazred wrote:

Looking over the monsters, it's going to be tough making this a challenge for my group. I'm a little concerned that the pendulum may have swung too far from the peak of 4th edition deadliness (such as the concluding battle in Season 11 War of Everlasting Darkness) to something not meant to be tactically satisfying, but instead a completely roleplaying experience.

When I've sensed a lack of challeng from a D&D Next encounter I've made a few tweaks on the fly and been fine. Here are some of the options I turn to:

• Have a few reinforcements arrive.
  • Increase the die size of the attacks for some or all monsters (d6+4 becomes d8+4).
  • I don't usually increase HPs since that makes combats longer, but for an important and possibly vulnerable foe it can make sense to bump up HPs slightly.
  • Give an important foe the ability to gain advantage on an important save once per encounter, so they aren't nerfed by a single spell.
  • Give a spellcaster an extra initiative count where they can cast a low-level spell. If that seems too "gamey", consider letting it come from a familiar, and they can target the familiar to shut that second spellcast down.
  • Give a leader type monster the ability to inspire several allies to attack PCs instead of taking their own action. Overall it will create a spike in damage and you could also include repositioning (such as free Disengage + Attack) to move foes into advantageous positions.
  • Allow foes to buff up with spells - a caster could have Mage Armor for a higher AC, a warrior could have Haste, etc.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments