2/3/2014 MM: "Born to be Compiled, Part 2"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's [url=http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/285]Making Magic[/url], which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Revoke Existence was specifically designed to allow white to have a tool to handle the Gods.

Wow, the design team on Scars of Mirrodin was really ahead of the curve!

Yeah, what MaRo is saying is mostly correct (I assume) but he is either forgetting about some cards or he is not being accurate. So to that end:

1)    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that R&D figured they needed a spell that could exile enchantments to deal with the gods and only later figured they could simply reprint Revoke Existence.

2)    Xenagos might be the first to have 2 different card types within one block, but he is definitely not the first character to have 2 different card types given our old friend Nicol Bolas. So saying:

"While we have done new versions of legendary creatures in the past, and changed things like color or creature type, we have yet to change the creature's card type, so Xenagos is definitely breaking new ground." is incorrect despite the preceding sentence.

3)    The square stats thing for the Bestow creatures was mentioned before but I think "at lower rarities" should be added to that statement given Boon Satyr

I too am an Ornitharch fan

If wizards is really trying to make Minotaur Tribal a thing, why do we keep getting such mediocre Minotaurs?

Nothing against Ragemonger, but Minotaurs already have a million options for his slot. It's nice that he makes your other Minotaurs cheaper, but you could also just cast them in the turn that you cast Ragemonger.

Deathbellow Raider was (and is) awesome and singlehandedly raised my hopes for Minotaur Tribal, until the rest of its kin thorougly crushed that ambition. Minotaurs so far are the epitome of mediocrity; An entire tribe composed of nothing but overpriced 2/3s. No early game, no late game, and an underwhelming midgame. Satyr Tribal seems more playable so far.  

If you really want to help Minotaurs, give them two things in last set of the block:

1: Playable 2- (or ideally even 1-) drops, see Deathbellow Raider for example. Anything to give Minotaurs something useful to do before turn 3, just to pretend they have a functional mana curve. If they need to be 2/3 or greater, give them a drawback to compensate their undercostedness. Just make sure the drawback is justified (instead of making another Fellhide Brawler, unimpressive in size yet still burdened with a handicap).

2: Some (rare) big Minotaur to win fights. After all the proclamations of not wanting minotaurs any smaller than 2/3, it would be nice to actually have some variation in the other direction. 2/3 is neat as a minimum size, but not when it doubles as the maximum as well. If its Stone and Mentor are any indication, 2 is the power of the Meek, not of a tribe of fierce monsters. (Fellhide Spiritbinder is neat, but doesnt really feel minotaury. Also, requiring mana to function is not nice when your tribe is crippingly overcosted already.)

Maro says he reads the comments, but yet he continues to claim non square stats for bestow are new for this set, even though it was pointed out multiple times in the comments section of last week's article. 

erdana, sans-serif">"While we have done new versions of legendary creatures in the past, and changed things like color or creature type, we have yet to change the creature's card type, so Xenagos is definitely breaking new ground."

erdana, sans-serif">Nicol Bolas and Venser disagree with you, kind sir.

I think this is the 4th time maro pretends Boon Satyr doesn't exist. I'm starting to feel a little sorry for the card

QUICK, everyone! Flood all of wotc's inboxes with letters of praise for Tromokratis so we can get rid of hexproof sooner rather than later

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

pygmyallosaurus wrote:

Maro says he reads the comments, but yet he continues to claim non square stats for bestow are new for this set, even though it was pointed out multiple times in the comments section of last week's article. 

Note that the articles are written almost a month back. The issue is that he doesn't edit the articles prior to them going live, nor does the editor seem to make a content verification pass when adjusting to things MaRo says on his blog -- which is written in real time. These two articles were probably written at the same time time and divided, so think of them as ONE article. Maybe MaRo likes the idea of having unedited articles for people to refer to to call him out on his stuff, as happened on the blog when people noticed that various 2 mana Minotaurs and Boon Satyr existed. It seems most fair to claim that that was the intention, but the card files required some fixing and MaRo either didn't remember, or wasn't involved in the final change.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

I swear I heard MaRo repeat a passage on his drive to work pod casts

then again we all repeat things

redundancy orders material to rhythm

Essay form: state thesis, prove thesis, restate thesis

anyway

a proof editor is always good

a second point of view can more easily find flaws

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

I live in san diego if any vistitting wizards wants to  contact me 858=483=3822

i'd stop by comicon but my car is broke and so am I

Normally what we do is have the token maker make vanilla tokens and then grant the ability to the tokens through a static ability.

Well that's just nonsense.

Cards in standard that create token creatures.

35 of those cards create token creatures that have an ability.  Of those, only three (Hammer of Purphoros, Heliod, God of the Sun, and Ogre Slumlord) have a separate static ability that grants the ability to the token (and to all your other creatures, or all your other rats, in the case of the Slumlord).  The remaining 32 cards create non-vanilla tokens, granting the ability as part of the effect that creates the token!

I enjoy the card-by-card stories, but more attention should be paid to the details in the stories.

Journey into nix might have us playing philosper tokens

like most creeated worlds,

the story developes afterwards and can take on its own momentum

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

I live in san diego if any vistitting wizards wants to  contact me 858=483=3822

i'd stop by comicon but my car is broke and so am I

Dothar_Vahlin wrote:

2)    Xenagos might be the first to have 2 different card types within one block, but he is definitely not the first character to have 2 different card types given our old friend Nicol Bolas. So saying:

"While we have done new versions of legendary creatures in the past, and changed things like color or creature type, we have yet to change the creature's card type, so Xenagos is definitely breaking new ground." is incorrect despite the preceding sentence.

Sckazinski wrote:

"While we have done new versions of legendary creatures in the past, and changed things like color or creature type, we have yet to change the creature's card type, so Xenagos is definitely breaking new ground."

Nicol Bolas and Venser disagree with you, kind sir.

Nicol Bolas, Venser, and Karn all disagree... but they all also went from creatures to planeswalkers. Xenagos is the first to go from a planeswalker to a creature where card type is concerned. (And since Teferi never had a card as a planeswalker, he can't really object to that statement.)

Re: Xenagos

I've been wondering this since I saw his God card:

Wouldn't there have already been a R/G god in the pantheon that he would've had to displace to ascend? Is this mentioned anywhere? I hope they do something about it, because it would also be pretty cool flavourfully.

But also, if there was no R/G god, I don't see why the other gods would really care if he ascended, given that he would have been filling a 'hole' of sorts in the natural order.

Hotspur000 wrote:

Wouldn't there have already been a R/G god in the pantheon that he would've had to displace to ascend? Is this mentioned anywhere? I hope they do something about it, because it would also be pretty cool flavourfully.

But also, if there was no R/G god, I don't see why the other gods would really care if he ascended, given that he would have been filling a 'hole' of sorts in the natural order.

It doesn't appear that there was a R/G god active at the time of Xenagos's ascension, and it's quite possible there never was a R/G god in Theros's pantheon prior to Xenagos (although perhaps there was one in the past, prior to Xenagos setting his sights on godhood, and he/she disappeared or died somehow). 

As to the gods caring, although Xenagos is indeed filling a role, the other gods dislike the idea of a mortal achieving godhood, because a) they likely view it as a defiance of that natural order and b) if one mortal can find a way to become a god, then it opens up the possibility of another mortal finding a way to do the same in the future. Also, Xenagos has made it clear that he doesn't intend to take orders from any of the other gods, including Heliod, and he seems more than willing to clash with the rest of the pantheon to protect his interests.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

LordManshoon wrote:

Hotspur000 wrote:

It doesn't appear that there was a R/G god active at the time of Xenagos's ascension, and it's quite possible there never was a R/G god in Theros's pantheon prior to Xenagos (although perhaps there was one in the past, prior to Xenagos setting his sights on godhood, and he/she disappeared or died somehow). 

As to the gods caring, although Xenagos is indeed filling a role, the other gods dislike the idea of a mortal achieving godhood, because a) they likely view it as a defiance of that natural order and b) if one mortal can find a way to become a god, then it opens up the possibility of another mortal finding a way to do the same in the future. Also, Xenagos has made it clear that he doesn't intend to take orders from any of the other gods, including Heliod, and he seems more than willing to clash with the rest of the pantheon to protect his interests.

I suppose ... I get how the other gods wouldn't like a mortal ascending.

But maybe there will be a surprise in Journey into Nyx ... the fallen god ...