11/7/2013 PR: "Kickin' It Old School"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Legacy continues to evolve despite the pool of cards being over twenty years deep."

Despite? Really? That's how you phrase it?

A very large, old card pool tends to stagnate because all of the competitive decks will eventually be found. "Despite" was precisely the correct word.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

I think Geno_Reborn is right in questioning the use of language (though nitpicky) - the larger pool means a larger variety of strategies will be available and the ability to constantly sift through available cards and find unused cards that combat new metagame shifts makes for a more constantly evolving meta than standard, where the relatively small card pool means the best decks are found rather quickly. For example, the Lim-Dul's Vault in ANT is a really old card but has only started seeing play fairly recently.

Actually, on the subject of ANT, I'm going to be nitpicky about the evaluation of it: For one, it is consistently easier and much more viable to just win through Past in Flames to the point where some players don't actually use Ad Nauseum anymore. Any match-up where there is no risk of your graveyard being messed with, you will almost always tutor for PiF over AN. Also, all the hate cards mentioned have to basically be in the opening hand and not meet discard to do much. The whole reason ANT is a deck while TES exists is that it has greater ability to disrupt the opponent's game plan and defenses via Duress, Gitaxian Probe and Cabal Therapy or shutting off their Wastelands with basics. Basically only Countertop is particularly difficult because it is backed by other counter spells. Mentioning Trinisphere specifically kind of frustrated me because Chalice of the Void on 1 is better against ANT and an early Trinisphere is good against every deck that isn't MUD. (Speaking of, that version of MUD kind of suprises me. Spine of Ish Sah without Goblin Welder just seems really strange to me.)

My last point of contention is that, from what I heard, the timing of Commander 2013's release matching up poorly with the tournament date meant that True-Name Nemesis was simply not widely available to players. I would not be surprised JVL had no knowledge of this difficulty in writing this article but it still bears mentioning.

In erdana, sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold">rufusmcdufus's Goblins!, why are there 2 bloodstained mires? I understand the concept of thinning a deck, but why not have 4 arid mesas?

Sign In to post comments