XP rewards

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question about XP rewards. When the encounter lists 150XP is that per player or split among party? I assumed it was per player but now that seems a bit much.

The encounter XP totals reflect all the foes in that encounter. Per the DM Guidelines, you're supposed to divide that XP amount among all players that contributed to succeeding in the encounter. That being said, for the Encounters program, I've been upping the PCs level approximately every three sessions, regardless of how many XP they earned -- we've got a timeframe to keep to, and I want them high enough level to try the final encounter.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

AlHazred wrote:

Per the DM Guidelines,

Ooh it was one of those things I'm supposed to read first haha. Thanks.

Like AlHazred said, it is better to go with milestones. I had my characters start this season at level 4, they were all carry overs from MiBG and a transition quest that I made up. After last night's session I had them level up to level 5, that was after 5 sessions at level 4. They will not be hitting level 6 until near the end of the session, maybe after another 6 sessions or so. If you are starting at level 1 I would suggest to have your players level up a bit on the earlier side, maybe after 2 or 3 sessions since a lot of players find level 1 play pretty boring.

We've also been playing starting with level 4 pc's and decided to level up at the end of each Act, so the party will be level 5 for Act 2 and level 6 for Act 3.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Vobeskhan wrote:

We've also been playing starting with level 4 pc's and decided to level up at the end of each Act, so the party will be level 5 for Act 2 and level 6 for Act 3.

Yeah his was my initial thought for the milestones idea, but I don't know if my party is going to get through all three stages heh.