Protection Domain

My idea (or at least my hope) is that Clerics with the Protection Domain receive:

1. The Protection Fighting Style ability to impose disadvantage on enemy attack rolls per turn as their initial Domain ability.

2. The same (or similar) Channel Divinity power in previous playtests where you negate damage  to an ally at range.

3. Heavy armor and shield proficiency, but only simple weapons.

I want to be an immovable wall between the enemy and my allies, and I don't mind sacrificing killing power for it. I always liked the image of a heavy armored mace-and-shield wielding holy warrior.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

I like those ideas.

In an earlier playtest package, I played a Cleric that had the shield bash (interposing shield thingy), and I loved playing him even at low level.   Being able to step beside a vulnerable ally and grant disadvantage against one attack went a long way to fulfilling my character concept, and it was fun.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I'd use this. What about for the capstone power and the spells?

BookooHundo wrote:

I'd use this. What about for the capstone power and the spells?

Hadn't thought that far into it yet. I'll edit this post as I think up ideas, and everyone else please post if you have any.

When I think of protection cleric, I'm imagining wards and abjurations. This proposal seems very much more like a paladin than a cleric.

The metagame is not the game.

Saelorn wrote:

When I think of protection cleric, I'm imagining wards and abjurations. This proposal seems very much more like a paladin than a cleric.

All things considered you might say the same of the War Cleric. The difference remains that Clerics get more spells, earlier, and no Smite. Also, and this is the big defining difference that makes me like Clerics more than Paladins: the casting stat is Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Still haven't gotten around to thinking up a domain spell list, but I expect wards and abjurations will figure prominently. Things like Sanctuary and any other defensive spells.

Protection cleric sounds like it's edging close to the paladin's niche. If you focused it on aura spells, wards, and shields but deemphasized heavier armor, you might have something unique.

Domain Spells:

1: sanctuary, shield of faith

3: protection from poison, righteous shield

5: aura of vitality, protection from energy

7: aura of life, aura of purity

9: circle of power, mass cure wounds

Bonus Proficiencies:

You gain proficiency with shields.

Shieldward: 

Allies adjacent to you gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to your shield's AC bonus. 

Channel Dvinity: Shield of the Gods

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to project a protective aura around you. As an action, present your holy symbol and invoke the protection of your deity. Attacks against allies within 25 feet of you suffer disadvantage until the end of your next turn.

Sublime Protector:

At 20th level, when an ally you can see suffers damage, you can negate that damage any any associated effects as a reaction. 

If you have to fix it, it's broken.

Grifford wrote:

Protection cleric sounds like it's edging close to the paladin's niche. If you focused it on aura spells, wards, and shields but deemphasized heavier armor, you might have something unique.

Domain Spells:

1: sanctuary, shield of faith

3: protection from poison, righteous shield

5: aura of vitality, protection from energy

7: aura of life, aura of purity

9: circle of power, mass cure wounds

Bonus Proficiencies:

You gain proficiency with shields.

Shieldward: 

Allies adjacent to you gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to your shield's AC bonus. 

Channel Dvinity: Shield of the Gods

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to project a protective aura around you. As an action, present your holy symbol and invoke the protection of your deity. Attacks against allies within 25 feet of you suffer disadvantage until the end of your next turn.

Sublime Protector:

At 20th level, when an ally you can see suffers damage, you can negate that damage any any associated effects as a reaction. 

Again, the War Cleric is just as similar if not moreso to the Paladin than my idea. And even the Life Cleric gets heavy armor, so I disagree with taking that away. As I said before, the wards and other defensive spells are included and not mutually exclusive to armor.

Your feature ideas are cool though, so props for that!

RKVM wrote:

Again, the War Cleric is just as similar if not moreso to the Paladin than my idea. And even the Life Cleric gets heavy armor, so I disagree with taking that away. As I said before, the wards and other defensive spells are included and not mutually exclusive to armor.

Your feature ideas are cool though, so props for that!

Yeah, War Cleric basically is the Paladin-Priest. I cribbed the idea to load the Prot Cleric's domain spells from the Paladin list.

That being said, heavy armor is just too freely given out. War should get it, for sure, but I can see an argument for the others. Life Clerics should probably be limited to Medium Armor and Light Clerics to Light Armor. The more a Cleric wears heavy armor, the more they look like a Paladin, but that's another discussion.

Thanks for the props!

If you have to fix it, it's broken.

Grifford wrote:

[..]

Feels a bit too powerful to me but above all, it takes within itself most of what a protection fighter (or other types) could offer and make it even better. Personally, I'd go more toward a divine protection type, not a melee/combat protection. Something like this:

Domain Spells:

1: sanctuary, shield of faith

3: protection from poison, blur

5: dispel magic, protection from energy

7: death ward, freedom of movement

9: true seeing, circle of power

Bonus Proficiencies:

none

Focused Resistance:

If you do not have the cantrip "Resistance", you now know it.

When you use the cantrip resistance, you also grant Resistance to a damage type that you specify upon using the spell.

Channel Divinity: Resistance Aura

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to project a protective aura (10') around you. As an action, present your holy symbol and invoke the protection of your deity. For one turn, all friendly creatures in the aura gain Resistance(all damage types) and all enemies gain Vulnerable(all damage types)

Absolute Shielding (reaction)

At 20th level, when an ally you can see suffers damage, as a reaction, you can grant Immunity to that damage type. The Immunity dissipates after the damage is taken.

Virtual Table Topping with D&D Next

D&D Next blog with campaign session recaps, various house rules, new monsters and other various RPG and VTT stuff.

Fighter, Path of the Warlord (first draft)

Tainted Drahie (legendary creature concept)

mutonizer wrote:

Focused Resistance:

If you do not have the cantrip "Resistance", you now know it.

When you use the cantrip resistance, you also grant Resistance to a damage type that you specify upon using the spell.

Wow! Resistance to any one damage type, in a cantrip?!? That seems overpowered. It's far more powerful than the OP's suggestion of imposing Disadvantage to one enemy making a melee attack, as a reaction.

------------------------------------
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:

AlHazred wrote:

Wow! Resistance to any one damage type, in a cantrip?!? That seems overpowered. It's far more powerful than the OP's suggestion of imposing Disadvantage to one enemy making a melee attack, as a reaction.

I was commenting on Grifford's proposal, not the OP's. That said, the same idea applies there too because the OP's proposal is to simply make a Cleric with protection Domain, a protection fighter on top of it. I rather keep the Protection Domain to more general concept so that it doesn't steps on other classes speficics while providing useful (and somewhat niche) tools.

As for the power itself, I don't have much problems with it. Resistance is only for a given type. Enemies can switch weapons or find other ways AND damage still go through (so do the effects of such damage).

Also, I house ruled cantrips like Resistance so that they are "Concentration" and "No duration". This means the caster needs to keep in touch with the target for it to work, which is to me a balancing factor. That's just me because I really find the concept of cantrip to be clunky in actual play, but that's beyond the point and even using the basic package, I don't find it overpowered.

Virtual Table Topping with D&D Next

D&D Next blog with campaign session recaps, various house rules, new monsters and other various RPG and VTT stuff.

Fighter, Path of the Warlord (first draft)

Tainted Drahie (legendary creature concept)

Sign In to post comments