Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15471 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey guys,

My dragonborn Fighter got the Draconic arrgance feat that lets him deal extra str mod damage when pushing or knocking prone.

Question is when I use Bull charge which inclues two attacks the first pushing the second knocking prone. Do I get the extra str mod damage twice when I hit with Both attacks?

Cheers.

Yep.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Hyperanthropos wrote:

Hey guys,

My dragonborn Fighter got the Draconic arrgance feat that lets him deal extra str mod damage when pushing or knocking prone.

Question is when I use Bull charge which inclues two attacks the first pushing the second knocking prone. Do I get the extra str mod damage twice when I hit with Both attacks?

Cheers.

Yep. Also note, that it's no extra damage. It's a separate damage instance per instance of pushing/proning. 

I have a question that I'm sure has been answered before but after going through numerous screens and not finding it, I thought it might be quicker to just pose the question here.

I play a Paladin with Two-Handed Weapon Expertise and according to the character builder, my close attack burst 1 abilities like Winters Edge or Strength from Valor do not benefit from that feat. The result is my AOE attacks are all much less accurate than my single target attacks. The only difference is the text of Close Burst 1 versus Melee 1 but I am still using the same weapon to channel/direct the attack and it takes its damage enchancement bonus from the weapon. I read the text of the Two-Handed Weapon Expertise feat and it does say, "bonus to weapon attack rolls" and I get the feeling that wording is the reason it doesn't apply. Is this the case? Can someone explain it to me?

It seems completely illogical that my training/ability to wield a weapon suddenly disappears if I am trying to hit more than one enemy.

pinkisthenewred wrote:

Hyperanthropos wrote:

Hey guys,

Cheers.

Yep. Also note, that it's no extra damage. It's a separate damage instance per instance of pushing/proning. 

Wait does that mean if I have an attack that pushes AND knocks prone I get the str mod damage twice???

Yep.  And if, for instance, you have three lots of push 1 from a given attack, you get three lots of STR damage, but NOT if you have one lot of push 3.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Dearg wrote:

I have a question that I'm sure has been answered before but after going through numerous screens and not finding it, I thought it might be quicker to just pose the question here.

I play a Paladin with Two-Handed Weapon Expertise and according to the character builder, my close attack burst 1 abilities like Winters Edge or Strength from Valor do not benefit from that feat. The result is my AOE attacks are all much less accurate than my single target attacks. The only difference is the text of Close Burst 1 versus Melee 1 but I am still using the same weapon to channel/direct the attack and it takes its damage enchancement bonus from the weapon. I read the text of the Two-Handed Weapon Expertise feat and it does say, "bonus to weapon attack rolls" and I get the feeling that wording is the reason it doesn't apply. Is this the case? Can someone explain it to me?

It seems completely illogical that my training/ability to wield a weapon suddenly disappears if I am trying to hit more than one enemy.

That should not be happening.  The feat bonus from Two-Handed Weapon Expertise should apply to all attacks with the weapon keyword, including close burst attacks.  If the character builder is not adding this correctly (highlight the power in the Powers tab and look for it in its listed attack bonuses) then that's a bug.

CUBPHILDND wrote:

Dearg wrote:

That should not be happening.  The feat bonus from Two-Handed Weapon Expertise should apply to all attacks with the weapon keyword, including close burst attacks.  If the character builder is not adding this correctly (highlight the power in the Powers tab and look for it in its listed attack bonuses) then that's a bug.

Thanks for the Feedback. I reported it as a bug for the character builder.

Divine Regeneration seems to be overpowered as written. If my stat is 22 do I get regeneration 22 or regeneration 6?

Not sure why you would think the Demigod level 26 feature for some regeneration is overpowered. But yes, as a daily minor action, you get regeneration 26, as the power reads " equal to your highes ability score".

I won't ask why you think your highest ability score is 22, I would like to know why you think this is more powerful than say the level 15 head slot item 'Carcanet of psychic Schism'.

Hi all!
How many effects stuck with skald's aura?

For example: if I have already activated my skald's aura, can I play then Dirge of the Damned (allies in the aura gain +2 dmg/+4 vs bloodied enemies) and Exposure of Weakness (enemies in the aura gain vulnerable 2 to alla damage dealt by allies) and gain both effects during an enconter?

Would attacks you make through a dominate gain the benefit of Enchantment Master (+2 to the attack roll of attacks your powers force a creature to take)? I'd assume yes, but it is slightly lateral so I thought I'd ask.

I'd say yes, but it's not entirely clear I don't think.

A basic melee attack bonus is 1/2 level + Strength modifier + proficiency modifier (if proficient.) If a Paladin were to use "Bolstering Strike" the Attack: states "Charisma vs. AC" Does he add his Charisma modifier and the basic melee attack bonus to the d20 roll or does he replace his Strength modifier with his Charisma modifier? (1/2 level + Charisma modifier + proficiency modifier)

It seems to me that 1/2 level and proficiency should stay with the melee weapon.

Thanks!

Since monsters changed singificantly later on in the D&D books (I believe it was MM3 where they used the new format, which is better from what I'm told) is there somewhere online (or the Compendium) where there is a formula for updating monsters that were made before this change?

Thanks!

BADFISH2 wrote:

A basic melee attack bonus is 1/2 level + Strength modifier + proficiency modifier (if proficient.) If a Paladin were to use "Bolstering Strike" the Attack: states "Charisma vs. AC" Does he add his Charisma modifier and the basic melee attack bonus to the d20 roll or does he replace his Strength modifier with his Charisma modifier? (1/2 level + Charisma modifier + proficiency modifier)

It seems to me that 1/2 level and proficiency should stay with the melee weapon.

Thanks!

This is covered in the books under making an attack and how to read a power. A Basic Melee Attack is a specific power, which you can choose to use in place of a class power attack. It uses your Strength modifier, but not every weapon attack does - you don't automatically add your Str mod to a weapon attack. Each individual power tells you which ability score modifier you add to your attack roll: Basic Melee Attack uses Strength, Bolstering Strike uses Charisma and all rogue class powers use Dex.

All attack rolls add in your 1/2 level modifier.

All attacks with the Weapon keyword add in your proficiency bonus with your weapon.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Thanks Mad_jack, that is basically what I figured, but I just wasn't positive. I'll check back in my books to see if I can find the section that clarifies this. I have been poking around in them but couldnt find a direct answer.

Thanks again!

For the Scholar theme level 1 utility power - Use Vulnerability, it states that you need to meet or exceed a knowledge check against the "hard DC" for the monster's level.

What is a "hard DC"?

I have assumed it is 10+ the monster's level, making it increasingly more difficult to activate the power while leveling up. Or is the "hard DC" check equal to the monster's level?

Dansun wrote:
What is a "hard DC"?

I have assumed it is 10+ the monster's level, making it increasingly more difficult to activate the power while leveling up. Or is the "hard DC" check equal to the monster's level?

Neither.  See here.

If I do somewhing like 3[W]+modifer fire strenght damage...it is only the modifier who has fire or it's all the damage (the 3[W] as well)?

Since this is only important for resistances (and even that is questionable), please tell us, what exactly you want to know it for. In nearly every other case you treat it as full fire damage. 

Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to the attack rolls of implement powers and weapon powers that you use with a staff. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, when you make a ranged or an area attack with a staff as an implement, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks for doing so.
    When you make a melee weapon attack with a staff, the weapon’s reach for that attack increases by 1.

Does this mean a staff wielder with this feat effectively has a range of 2 and threatens all squares in range- provoking opportunity attacks as normal for a reach weapon- or does it just mean that I only have a reach of 2 when making a melee attack on, say, my own turn?

I'm just confused by the wording because if it meant to say a staff wielder with this feat has a reach of two, it would say "Your reach with a staff weapon increases by 1 for melee attacks".

Reach does not automatically give you opportunity attacks at range 2, whether from this feat or otherwise. You need threatening reach as well.

Do you get to add any damage modifiers like magic weapon enhancement on powers that say "the enemy takes 1W damage".

Specifically the Viscious Assault power from the Reaver theme.

Yes, it's a damage roll, Magic Weapon's damage bonus applies.

Some questions about the firewind blade

1. Does the item's property recieve bonuses to damage that affect the power that causes it to trigger, or only static bonuses that apply to damage that doesn't require a hit?

2. If you used a multi attack power (ex: Twinstrike) would it's effect trigger once for the entire power or once per attack?  It appears that the former is correct, but I'm seeking verification.

3. When critting, is this part of the crit (such that if I were using Savage growl, would that be maximized)?

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Some questions about the firewind blade

1. Does the item's property recieve bonuses to damage that affect the power that causes it to trigger, or only static bonuses that apply to damage that doesn't require a hit?

2. If you used a multi attack power (ex: Twinstrike) would it's effect trigger once for the entire power or once per attack?  It appears that the former is correct, but I'm seeking verification.

3. When critting, is this part of the crit (such that if I were using Savage growl, would that be maximized)?

1. Only vulnerabilities and the likes (Radiant One, etc.) apply. Modifiers based on hitting, dealing damage as the result of an attack, or having a damage die, don't apply.

2. Once per swing, so, twice per Twin Strike.

3. If you already applied Savage Growl to the target before critting, Savage Growl's extra damage gets maxed, as well, if you crit, since it's extra damage belonging to the damage roll of the critting attack. You got it right, that Savage Growl adds to Firewind Blade's additional damage instance, as well (Savage Growl can as well be read as 1d8 stackable vulnerability against damage dealt by you). This second instance of Savage Growl wont be maximized, when you crit, tho, since it is not part of the critting attack. 

Edit :Note that there's a lot of ambiguity in this topic, that depends on reading game elements, that are originally not part of an attack, as part of the attack, cause without attacking they wont occur in the first place. This would have big impact on the system and for you, as a beginner, just ignore that. What i wrote above is the way it flies at 99% of tables.

The relation to firewind blade here is basically, does the damage instance count as part of the attack that caused it?

A more detailed example:

I hit with my MBA after activating savage growl the previous turn.  It adds 1d8 damage to both my hit and to the second damage instance from Firewind blade.  If that hit is instead a crit, would the damage added to the second damage instance also be maximized (and by extention, would crit dice for high crit etc. be added since it is now a damage roll)?

Edit: It appears your edit answered most of my question.  It's another of those ETV things where rules are silent.  Also you kill me in that every time I post you say "Just ignore this part cause you're a beginner" about the only part I'm interested in.  Most of the other stuff is elementary and I ask it to make sure I'm not missing the forest for the trees.

Thanks for the help!

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Edit: It appears your edit answered most of my question.  It's another of those ETV things where rules are silent.  Also you kill me in that every time I post you say "Just ignore this part cause you're a beginner" about the only part I'm interested in.  Most of the other stuff is elementary and I ask it to make sure I'm not missing the forest for the trees.

99% of people, even of experienced CharOP folks, play it the way i mentioned. 

If you start making independent game elements part of the attack, which perfectly can be justified by RAW + logic, you open a can of worms. The biggest problems are that the formerly independent (and therefore hardly enhanceable) damage instance now gets modified this way:

• you add damage type keywords
  • it is part of the attack and gets all non-damage-type keywords, as well

Both of those have the potential to break the system. Let me explain it at Firewind Blade's example. 

99% way: The only way to add keywords to the additional instance of damage is Radiant One. -> Now it pings Fire and Radiant vulnerabilities.

1% way: The additional damage instance now gets all keywords of the triggering power -> in fact you can make it ping any vulnerability you want, for very low opportunity cost and damage roll independent attack-related extra damage applies as well.

There are tons of other things, that get hilarious by that, Unlucky Teleport being the most prominent one. Other examples would be Sarifal Feywarden, Claw Gloves, etc and there are boatloads of stronger exploits that i forgot. 

RAW/lateral thinking is a cool thing, but some things just shouldn't be touched. Claw Gloves or MKJ adding a damage roll to static damage instances for example. This would fly by RAW. If you combine this with making FWB's additional instance part of the power, Claw Gloves, a level 4 item (!), would be as broken, as ****, i mean, extraterrestrially broken.

In the Paragon Wizard of Sprial Tower you get "The one sword" encounter power at 12th.

Under 2nd attack it says:
2nd attack: Int vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed until the end of your next turn, and this power is not expended.

If you crit on the 2nd attack, do you get to roll your crit dice?  (Obviously, I'm thinking of an Avenger MC Wizard build that uses the 2nd attack to reach for more crits).

In a more general sense, if you attack with a power that doesn't do damage and you crit, do you roll your weapon's crit dice?

LostBoyJim wrote:

In the Paragon Wizard of Sprial Tower you get "The one sword" encounter power at 12th.

Under 2nd attack it says:
2nd attack: Int vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed until the end of your next turn, and this power is not expended.

If you crit on the 2nd attack, do you get to roll your crit dice?  (Obviously, I'm thinking of an Avenger MC Wizard build that uses the 2nd attack to reach for more crits).

In a more general sense, if you attack with a power that doesn't do damage and you crit, do you roll your weapon's crit dice?

No, the secondary attack doesn't initially deal damage and therefore can't deal crit damage. However, there are other useful things, that can procc off crits.

As a sidenote, Bloodiron Weapon would give you an additional, but delayed damage instance for critting with the secondary attack, as well.

Wouldn't it be the case, that this PP wants you to be a Wizard, it'd be a nifty little idea to give the Avenger a Twin Strike super lite. All in all much too high opp. cost, tho. On the other hand: "At-will" daze is at-will daze and can greatly be enhanced.

Anyway, if you absolutely want to go that route, make sure that you add enough effects to your criticals, as well. 

I have a question regarding how damage rolls are handled in regards to adding modifiers and what rolls are maxed out due to critical hits.

Scenario: Lvl 6, STR 20, Barbarian, while raging, critically hits bloodied enemy while charging with Howling Strike using Vanguard Greataxe +2.

Items:

Vanguard Greataxe +2 - 1d12 dmg, high crit, deal +1d8 dmg on charge, +2d8 crit dmg

Iron Armbands of Power - +2 item bonus to melee dmg rolls

Gauntlets of Blood - +2 bonus to dmg rolls against bloodied

Relevant Feats:

Deadly rage - +1 bonus to dmg rolls while raging

Powers used on attack:

Howling Strike - Standard, 1W + 1D6 + (5)STR dmg

Vicious Assault - No Action, adjacent (bloodied) enemy takes 1W dmg

Furious Assault - Free, 1W extra dmg

Rampage class ability - make immediate free MBA (hit normally) 1d12

Dice rolls:

Howling Strike - Standard, 1d12 + 1D6 + (5)STR dmg

Vicious Assault - No Action, adjacent (bloodied) enemy takes 1d12 dmg

Furious Assault - Free, 1d12 extra dmg

Rampage class ability - make immediate free MBA (hit normally) 1d12 dmg

Axe high crit - 1d12 dmg

Vanguard Greataxe +2 - 1d8 dmg on charge

Vanguard Greataxe +2 - 2d8 crit dmg

1. Which rolls are classified as dmg rolls and why?
  2. which rolls get STR, item (+2 Vanguard Axe, IAoP, GoB) and feat bonuses?
  3. which rolls are maxed out?
  4. Can you show the math for this attack so I understand how you got to the final tally?

Thanks

Vicious Assault is one damage roll, and is not maxed for the crit, because it doesn't hit.  Rampage is an entirely separate attack, and hits, misses or crits on its own merits.  Everything else is one damage roll, which gets each bonus once (so, no doubling up on +STR or +Enh).  All dice you could have rolled had you not crit, are maximised, so, howling strike dice, furious assault, vanguard charge dice all are maximised, high crit and crit dice are not.

You get: Howling Strike 1d12+1d6 + Furious Assault 1d12+Vanguard maximised =30 damage +static modifiers 5 STR, 2 Enhancement = 37 +1d12 high crit +2d8 crit dice.

Vicious Assault: 1 [W]

Rampage: an extra MBA.

I have been playing AD&D in its many incarnations since the early 1970's.  In the mid 90's, I can remember a rule (I do not recall if it was an optional rule or not) that assigned equipment items BULK POINTS.  The intent was to show that every item took up a certain amount of space.  Thus a backpack could only contain perhaps 16 bulk points worth of equipment.  I have many of the old books, but am having no luck whatsoever locating this rule.  It may even have been a rule out of a magazine or third party source, but I do not think that this is the case.

What I want is where to find this rule and guidlines how to adjust equipment (3.5e) to have bulk points.  AD&D 2ed also had tables for Creating Character Classes and Character Races.  They were terrific for making something new that was balanced withing the game.  Does anyone know of anything similar for 3.5?

Please feel free to e-mail me any answers and/or links at oldwolf1963@yahoo.com.

You'll be wanting the older editions forums, further down the page, as this is the 4e rules Q&A section - but to be honest, I doubt that any official material for conversions exist.

A question regarding polymorph durations.

I remember reading on these forums a little while back about polymorph powers being unique in that they do not always end at the end of the encounter or 5 mins like most other power effects.

Some polymorph powers specifically say "lasts until the end of the encounter/until the end of your next turn" while other polymorph powers say "until you use a free/minor/move/do not sustain/use the power again to end the effect".

So, if a polymorph power does not specifically state "ends at the end of the encounter" then it would continue until you chose the action to end it?

Dansun wrote:

Some polymorph powers specifically say "lasts until the end of the encounter/until the end of your next turn" while other polymorph powers say "until you use a free/minor/move/do not sustain/use the power again to end the effect".

Note, that "do not sustain" doesn't fit in there, since sustainable powers need you to have a turn, which is not true out of encounters. Irrelevant for your question, tho, since:

Dansun wrote:

So, if a polymorph power does not specifically state "ends at the end of the encounter" then it would continue until you chose the action to end it?

Exactly.

How should the Twig Blight Seedling's Claw attack play out when charging? Is the shift allowed?

Thanks!

Not having the compendium, I oculdn't say for sure, but almost certainly yes.  Charging prevents you taking further actions during your turn *except free actions*.  If this is not an action (i.e. an Effect: line of the power or part of the Hit: line), or a free action, it works fine.

If it's a separate action, a move or minor, then no, it wouldn't work.

According to the stat block linked, the shift is an effect line in the power that happens before the attack... So you'd do the movement portion of the charge, then shift up to two squares and make the attack. It's actually a pretty useful trick for a creature with a normal speed of 5...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...