Magic Items that won't unbalance low levels

Hey gang,

I was curious as to if anyone was able to think of some low level magic items to reward their players. I know that next is trying to ween people from being hand-fed magical goodies I still feel that giving some wouldn't be so bad. That, and I my players are getting sick of now real rewards excluding gold & gems for rewards to quests and combat.

I gave 1 custom weapon, a Dwarven Battlerager guantlet that has a standard to hit roll but gives 1d6+1+Str bonus in damage. Our Dwarf Fighter won it during a bar fight and he has only used it once when he was disarmed in combat.

I finally gave my group (all 3rd level) a single magical ring that has mimics the Cleric's flare ability, but only has 2 charges. I found that this is a pretty low rank item and wont be a major game changer but might save the caster who received it life if used correctly.

I am just looking for a few other ideas that I might be able to give them that would fit a low level game (currently finishing the MiBG encounter tomorrow and moving forward with the same characters to the Crystal Shard leveled up to 4-6) and still keep the spirit of Next's magic items not given out as candy. Still need to reward them with something special since this is the end of the campaign.

Just give flavor items and see if they figure out a way to use them.

Anycolor dye.  Color 10 square feet of anything, last for 24 hours.

Endless Quiver.  Arrows disappear after a round.  (returning javalins/throwing hammers are also useful).

Compase of ale finding.  As an action, you can know the direction to the nearest ale.  Stronger ale wins in case of a tie.

Feather of death.  Consumable:  As an action, you prick someone with the feather and it is attuned to them.  If they die, the feather turns from white to red, and eventually black.

Rings of shared health.  Comes in pairs.  Once attuned, you always know how healthy the other wearer is at all times, and know if they removed their ring.  Often used in wedding ceramonies.

Rope Ladder.  The 50' rope can turn into a 25' ladder, making it easy to climb even for the weak wizards.

Gold Glue.  As an action, you can place this gold coin on any surface and say a unique command word, that is chosen upon creation, and it will stick.  Say the word in reverse, or succed in a DC 20 Str to pry it loose, deactivating it.  It can then be used again.  To figure out the current word it takes a DC 25 (arcana) check.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

My group are 3rd level, nearly 4th. I've handed out slippers of spider climbing, a robe of useful items (grabbed from any D&D 1st through 3rd), and a survival pouch (Magic Item Compendium). Also considered a hat of disguise and a horn of fog.

yeah I'm a really huge fan of the "mostly useless but sometimes awesome" wierd little magic items.  potions and scrolls are usually my go to, and I encourage players to use them because players like horde, so I tell them they if they don't use their potions after a while there is a chance they might go bad.  

I really liked the "odd magical effects list" in the magic items section and I wish there were more.  There are a lot of OSR lists for little stuff.. here's a little list I have. 

1. Magic paper that fools people into seeing whatever you want them to see (it's a treaty, it's my special handwritten pass to the palace ball, papers..... I don't need no stinking p.. why I have them right here!) .  

2. A earring that allows you to perfectly mimic someone's voice that you've heard. 

3. A plain finger ring that transforms into a 1 foot wide metal hoop 

4. Stretcho-gauntlets - extends your grabbing reach by 5 feet (but not for attacks)  

5. A potion that gives you perfect recall of a previous event, a written phrase, or a verbal conversation you've had

6. A scabbard with a <creature> on it. Once per day, summons a very tiny version of <creature>. creature can explore, or answer a question, then disappears.

7. An amulet that contains a living eye that appears to react to people (no other purpose, just creepy)

8. An oil that you can apply to small inanimate, non magical object. transforms into another similar object for exactly 24 hours then reverts to it's normal form.

9. A cloak that provides invisibility to inanimate objects

10. A magic jar that pours a cubic foot of sand once per day.

11. A bell that's very attractive to unintelligent undead, they'll follow it if rung.

12. A rod that summons a glowing, ethereal floating jellyfish that shines 20' light, once per day, lasts 4 hours.

13. A magic coin with the God of Luck imprinted on it. It's a lucky coin, and attracts more money to it.

14. An enchanted sewing and clothing kit that can make simple repairs and alternations to clothing

15. A bag of holding, except the bag itself is ludicriously large and bulky, even it's very light.

16. A dagger (no bonus) that transforms into a metal earhorn (for listening through doors)

17.  Goggles that let you see perfectly fine in thick fog, gas, or smoke. 

18.  A potion that lets you "read" the past in a particular 20 foot radius.  (replay a murder scene or ask questions of the DM) 

19.  An animated flying spell tome that escaped from it's wizard master.

20.  a small, fragile hourglass that will rewind time by 1 round, then shatter. 

Rings that provide proficiency in a skill, I also like a set of earrings that allows anyone wearing them to be under the effect of a permanent message spell with each other.

A hammer of silence. When it stirkes something or someone at full power (no pulling punches) it makes no sound at all and the target can't make a sound for 1 minute. Great for stopping gongs or bells sounding, or pesky spell casters. Also if attuned to a dwarf they can use it to cast a silence spell once per day. (as in the second level spell. The must hit at full STR is to stop them tapping a theif to make them silent.

These are actually probably a bit over powered but I tried to tailor them so that the it fits my players characters. The Robe of Useful Items actually got some REALLY good rolls (12 extra patches). These are all rewards from MiBG and we had Ravengard end up being the Chosen.

Mage

Robe of Useful Items: This appears to be an unremarkable robe, but a character who dons it notes that it is adorned with small cloth patches of various shapes. Only the wearer of the robe can see these patches, recognize them for what items they become, and detach them. One patch can be detached each round. Detaching a patch causes it to become an actual item, as indicated below.

Item

Used

Dagger

•  
  •  

Floating Lantern (filled, lit & lasts for 4 hours, must stay next to the robe)

•  
  •  

Mirror (a highly polished 2’ x 4’ steel mirror)

•  
  •  

10’ Pole

•  
  •  

Coil of Hempen Rope (50’)

•  
  •  

Sack (large burlap)

•  
  •  

Bag of Gold (2d20 for value)

•  

Silver Coffer (roll percentile for value)

•  

Scroll of Color Spray (level 1)

•  

Scroll of Grease (level 1)

•  

Scroll of Evard’s Black Tentacles (level 4)

•  

Portable Ram

•  

Pit (10’ x 10’ x 10’)

•  

Gems x 10 (roll percentile for value)

•  

Iron Door (up to 10 ft. wide and 10 ft. high and barred on one side—must be placed upright, attaches and hinges itself)

•  

Wooden Ladder (24’ long)

•  

Rowboat (12’ long, seats 6 safely) x2

•  

Cleric #1

Weapon of Faith: Left as a gift from Ravengard, inscribed on the hilt is a simple saying “Go forth and purge”. This weapon is extremely well balanced and will occasionally give off a slight pulse as if it is no ordinary weapon. If the wielder focuses hard enough it can use his Flare to protect an alley. However, this is very taxing and causes the wielder to be unable to use Flare for the rest of the day. On the hilt are two gems, each can be crushed to increase the potency of Channel Divinity.

Action

Used

Empowered Flare

• Can be used once a day

Extended Divinity (increase radius of Channel Divinity by 5’)

•  

Empowered Divinity (increase damage of Channel Divinity by 1d4)

•  

Cleric #2

Mirror Of Fantastic Outcomes: A small metal pocket mirror that will always show the user what they want. The longer the user possesses the mirror the more the user believes what they see in the mirror (and for Tordek it has been so long he cannot remember how he acquired it but he swears it was bestowed to him by Moradin). On top of the benefit of having the mirror display what the viewer wishes to see, once per day anyone who is looking into the mirror can psych themselves up to grant advantage on 1 non-combat related check.

Warrior

Hook-Shot: A device that resembles a bracer and has an engraving of a dwarf reaching for a mug of beer that is just out of his reach. By using the command phrase “Beer me”, once per day as an action, the wielder can extend 15’ magic chain that can pull an object (limit 50 lbs. without check) or person toward him. If attempting to move a living creature it is a STR vs DEX/STR check. If pull is succeeded by 5 or more the user can follow the pull with a punch, if pull is succeeded with 5 or more and is a natural 20 then the user can follow up with a weapon attack. If user rolls a natural 1 and fails by 10 or more the they are pulled toward the target.

Rogue

Glove of Thieves: Taken from the body of Nine-Fingers, these gloves offer all sorts of great advantages to the person who dons them. The gloves always grant advantage on the first attempt for lock-picking, climbing, slight-of-hand & grappling. The have also been rumored to protect the user from cutting their hand on broken glass.

Barbarian

Furious Great-Axe: This great-axe was taken from a not so well known Orc chieftain that had anger issues. He met an untimely demise (at least according to Orcs) one day when a group of Flaming Fist soldiers came across him as his small tribe. Standing just over 6 feet tall, it shows a well-kept edge that gleams in the sun. On a critical strike the wielder goes into a rage until the end of their next turn (does not consume a use of Rage).

Try giving them any mundane item but roll on all of the item property charts- creation/material/minor power/quirk

I ended up with some interesting items that ha no major power but plenty of RP value.  

Rolled an infernal amulet that was a compass and that appeared to be degenerating quickly. 

It became known as "creepy compass" because it appeared as a screaming human face cast in iron and I had the red eyes always look north.

They were so creeped out they wrapped up all but the eyes and it became "creepy ninja compass".

Lots of fun, not much to unbalance most campaigns with. 

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Valdark wrote:

Try giving them any mundane item but roll on all of the item property charts- creation/material/minor power/quirk

I ended up with some interesting items that ha no major power but plenty of RP value.  

Rolled an infernal amulet that was a compass and that appeared to be degenerating quickly. 

It became known as "creepy compass" because it appeared as a screaming human face cast in iron and I had the red eyes always look north.

They were so creeped out they wrapped up all but the eyes and it became "creepy ninja compass".

That sounds awesome!
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

pukunui wrote:

Valdark wrote:

That sounds awesome!

Try it, I ended up with all sorts of amazing things. 

A suit of plate made of agate (earth elemental make + unusual material).

A war hammer made of coral (water elemental+unusual material) that would spray barnacles when it struck but which instantly grew back (frail trait) that was the key to a portal to the elemental plane of water (but no clues as to where this portal may lay or indication that it was said key) and which floats (minor ability).

Oh believe me! I fully intend to!

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

My first thought was a 4e item: a cask of ale that refills every day. All ale that has not been used at the end of the day will disappear.

Another item "stolen" from 4e: camp-in-a-box (don't remember the 4e name). Use an action and it provides a camp with tents and a magical fire for the whole party.

Related to the above I was reminded about a youtube video I saw recently that made the point that typically people would carry embers from an old fire to light the next. This made me think of having a horn filled with something soft that can keep a fire indefinitely with the fire never going out as long as it is in the horn.

Here are some items that were inspired by Warehouse 13 artifacts:

Ear Trumpets: A pair of identical trumpets, one larger than the other. The smaller one is the mouthpiece, while the larger is the speaker. The bearer of the smaller trumpet can speak into it and be heard clearly by the bearer (and anyone in the vicinity) of the larger trumpet at great distances (exact distance to be determined).

Bloodstone: A cursed magic statuette. When someone handles it, it makes a bite attack. If it succeeds, it can dominate the target, causing it to attack the nearest viable target, until the item is deactivated or perhaps until the victim is able to make a Wisdom saving throw or something.

"Babble" Stones: A set of three or more stones that allow the holders to speak a secret language that only they can understand and that sounds like gibberish to anyone not holding a stone.

Count of St Germain's Ring: As an action, you can restore dead or dying plants within 5 feet of you to full health.

Conch Shell: allows the user to breathe underwater.

~ David G. Allen

pukunui wrote:

Here are some items that were inspired by Warehouse 13 artifacts:

Ear Trumpets: A pair of identical trumpets, one larger than the other. The smaller one is the mouthpiece, while the larger is the speaker. The bearer of the smaller trumpet can speak into it and be heard clearly by the bearer (and anyone in the vicinity) of the larger trumpet at great distances (exact distance to be determined).

Bloodstone: A cursed magic statuette. When someone handles it, it makes a bite attack. If it succeeds, it can dominate the target, causing it to attack the nearest viable target, until the item is deactivated or perhaps until the victim is able to make a Wisdom saving throw or something.

"Babble" Stones: A set of three or more stones that allow the holders to speak a secret language that only they can understand and that sounds like gibberish to anyone not holding a stone.

Count of St Germain's Ring: As an action, you can restore dead or dying plants within 5 feet of you to full health.

Conch Shell: allows the user to breathe underwater.

Ha, Babble Stones makes me think of Babble Fish..... actually kind of appropriate to D&D.

I believe some of the items I've described here might be appropriate:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-next-general-discussion/threads/3957266

In the end, I love the idea of 'rolling' magic items like this and it can help you come up with some interesting, low level effects.

The dry cake is a silent killer - Mike Mearls

Hewards Handy Haversack and Endless Quiver almost session one every game because I hate keeping track of ammo and encumbrance.  Also everyfull waterskin and elven bread that sustains a whole party everyday and as long as there is atlead a few crumbs left renews to a full loaf the next morning.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

Guys feed me more please...

I want and need more ideas for Minor Magic Items

Probably not as fancy as the ones given previously, but here are some low-level magic items that I have liked that have shown up

Adamantum pebble

Little indestuctible peice of material.

Not particularly useful in classical situations, but can be used creatively.

Flasks of fire beetle ichor

Glows in the dark, and is somewhat corrosive.

Vampiric copper coins

Will attempt to bite and drain blood from those that handle them.

(Weird story behind this one)

Confused Compass

Points towards a direction, not necessarily north. The direction it points is periodically randomized several times a day, or when you are teleported, or if it gets too close to another magical item.

And a few powerful magic items that had some major drawbacks, that showed up at a relatively low to medium level.

Box of Displacement

About 2 inches wide cubic box. Drop a small item into it and it is dropped into a prespecified location.

Talisman of Cyric

Hides the alignment of a chaotic evil character, and instead allows them to be detected as any alignment they wish. Also gives the ability once per week to attempt to commune with Cyric (chance of insanity and/or gaining some knowledge that would further his strange goals.)

Hand of Kord

Intellegent Chaotic Good +1 battleaxe: +1d6 damage to undead and devils. Unfortunately it has a habit of dominating it's wielder when there are any evil doers nearby, making it difficult to be diplomatic or retreat. Once used by a character in combat it is jealous of other weapons, thus it will also attempt to dominate the wielder before it is unequipped. 

(My paladin threw this weapon into a rift to the astral plane to get rid of it)

I am actually running into problems with the "no magic items at low levels" guidelines.  A LOT of monsters are resistance or immune to non-magical damage.  Leaving just the spellcasters to really do the damage.  That became enough of a problem that I finally gave out a couple of +1 weapons to the party.  They can get by with just the two for a long time, but still, I was surprised it came up.

Mistwell wrote:

I am actually running into problems with the "no magic items at low levels" guidelines.  A LOT of monsters are resistance or immune to non-magical damage.  Leaving just the spellcasters to really do the damage.  That became enough of a problem that I finally gave out a couple of +1 weapons to the party.  They can get by with just the two for a long time, but still, I was surprised it came up.

What kind of monsters are your party fighting that this comes up at lower levels? Most of the "resistance to non-magical weapons" stuff comes from demons/devils and most of those are higher levels.

The dry cake is a silent killer - Mike Mearls

spelley wrote:
What kind of monsters are your party fighting that this comes up at lower levels? Most of the "resistance to non-magical weapons" stuff comes from demons/devils and most of those are higher levels.

Off the top of my head, Werewolves are resistant to non-magical weapons (except those made of silver) at level 4, and vampires are outright immune at level 7 (save for cold-forged iron). Wraiths and Ghosts at level 4 and 5 (respectively) are incorporeal, which makes them resistant to all non-magical damage. These may not be the most common monsters, and the vampire is certainly the most problematic of the bunch (but appears at a level when the Magic Weapon spell is available, unlike most of the other monsters I mentioned), but still, it can be problematic if you intend to use any of these (IMO) fairly iconic monsters.

Old favourite of mine was a Silver ring with elven runes for Archer, Rogue, Father, Daughter, Birthday, and Adventurer, the ring making an invisible short bow of force when the action of loading an arrow is used.

Old favourite from a dragon mag was +1 magic weapon that emits light on command, but becomes non magical for attack and damage when shedding light, then just have them fear fighting werewolves or shadows in the dark.

Current campaign happy with an oriental sword scabbard that is black lacquered wood with a black cord wrapped around the central length. If the knot is undone it can be quickly unwound, each inch becoming a foot of cord to 50 feet. Under the bounding reveals pictures of knots. The first knot seals the cord in the bound position. The second makes the scabbard still like a Rod of immovability of previous editions, and the final one turns the rope invisible. The scabbard and rope is no stronger than normal so while it inspires play, it is not risked lightly.

Ramble wrote:
Old favourite from a dragon mag was +1 magic weapon that emits light on command, but becomes non magical for attack and damage when shedding light, then just have them fear fighting werewolves or shadows in the dark.
This is genius! I'll have to remember this one.

~ David G. Allen