alternative to minis

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

some guy made these meeples for Lords of Waterdeep:

and later i saw these painted meeples at a store:

and it gave me an idea:

what about a series of meeples in a couple of archetypal shapes and sizes, accompanied by sticker sheets

with images of monsters and PC/NPC figures to fit them?

it would be much cheaper then even unpainted plastic minis, you could add lots of veriety with sticker option so you could

prepare whatever monsters you need, as you need them, and if you can make it so they can be cleanly removed

they could be reusable with a new pack of sticker sheets, and it has the added advantage of taking up less space on a table

and would allow for the use of a smaller grid or map scale, saving table space.

check out the Homebrew Campaign Setting i'm working on, my customised character sheet for the final package, and a numbered index for all the bestiaries.

They look like those sell for a little under a buck a piece. Not that much less than common minis. 

An equally cheap idea would be partnering with Reaper and licensing Bones of iconic D&D monsters. Encounter packs of monsters.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

i wish people would actually READ my god damn post before replying to what they imagine it said...

check out the Homebrew Campaign Setting i'm working on, my customised character sheet for the final package, and a numbered index for all the bestiaries.

That is rather interesting and could see people going with it. The downside to it would be that you might have to use a sticker on each side, or the back side could be numbered.

I use something pretty similar. I use 1" or 2" washers and then print out  the enemies that I need. A pack of 100 1" washers is only $8, and the paper comes right off with a 2 minute soke in the water. I got the idea from here, http://newbiedm.com/2008/11/22/newbiedm-tutorial-counters-tokens-or-pogs/. The nice thing with this is it is REALLY easy to tell PC from NPC since my PCs still use minis. I actually spent the better part of my Friday night getting all the token templates set up for LotCS. Of course, the downside to mine is that it requires a time investment, a printer & a scanner doesn't hurt (for NPCs listed in the campaign guide).

Here is a picture of what they look like, sorry for the blur, this was taken hastily with my old POS phone to show a my bro-in-law what I was doing.