Spread too thin?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi,

Anyone else think that WotC has been spreading the D&D brand way too thin over the past several years? They have medocre video games (not like the great ones of yester year: PlaneScape:Torment springs to mind) and want to make medocre smartphone/tablet games as well as a so-so MMO that's still beta-testing (I think).

There's talk of a MOVIE again. (Facepalm powerful enough to shatter reality in a 2.3 mile radius.)

There's board games (to be fair, I love Castle Ravenloft and its sisters) that are based on D&D dungeon crawling, skirmish mini diceless fighting, and FR political intrigue. Oh, and there was a huge minis line...that just died (sort of).

There's the new 'Next" table top RPG still in alpha/beta testing. And 4e also just...died.

There's still the novels, and comic books. (I loved the novels...When I was 10-14.)

I think the D&D nameplate should be put on one or two awesome things. And leave the rest. Do one thing; do it well. All these products seem rushed and weak; or forgotten/ left unfinished just when they were getting interesting.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

The issue isn't soo much that the D&D brand is spread too thin as it is WotC canceling product lines shortly after their release.

Paizo has a lot of products spread all over the place and they are doing just fine (and Paizo is pretty much D&D these days).

All the eggs are in one basket- D&D Next. If that sinks then D&D sinks.

One can only hope for a miniature line at the launch of D&D Next. I'm not holding my breath...

hunterian7 wrote:
The issue isn't soo much that the D&D brand is spread too thin as it is WotC canceling product lines shortly after their release.

Paizo has a lot of products spread all over the place and they are doing just fine (and Paizo is pretty much D&D these days).

All the eggs are in one basket- D&D Next. If that sinks then D&D sinks.

One can only hope for a miniature line at the launch of D&D Next. I'm not holding my breath...

This. The problem with WotC is that they have failed to stick to any sort of plan for quite some time now. The 4E release plan appealed to me (a PHB, a DMG and a setting each year) but they abandoned that before they'd even finished the third set of releases (2010). DDI electronic tools were messed up at the beginning and have been badly handled ever since. They then seemed to be flailing around to try and grasp at any idea that might reinvigorate the brand without ever coming up with a definitive strategy. As the OP said, the board games are good but they released three and now, presumably, they are as dead as 4E, Dungeon Command, Gamma World (not my cup of tea I have to say) and a variety of other things.

Paizo, on the other hand, has a planned business model (one hardback a year, an AP every month, regular miniatures releases) and a modern subscription model that delivers the hard copy product and a free PDF. I live in the UK and subscribe to five Paizo product lines and they cost me roughly what I used to spend on books from WotC (when they used to release books). They ship them to me internationally, I get a free PDF and I can cancel any line any time I want with a quick e-mail. As well as this, the key figures up to and including the CEO are visible and engaged with customers on the forums. That is how you get and retain a loyal customer base and WotC has failed in almost every department.

Before I get the howls of "if you like Paizo so much why are you here", I'm saying this because I love D&D. I wanted 4E to succeed and was convinced it would but then the plan was abandoned and everything started to drift. WotC could, and IMHO should, look at why their competition is outselling them when a few short years ago no one could touch them. They have taken a wrong turn and I really do wish that they would reverse it.

Um ... a thought just occurred to me ... should they sell the D&D brand to Paizo?  Would Paizo even want it?

No and if Pazio had a lick of sense of they would. That was easy.

Should they sell the brand? 

Yes,

To Paizo...?

I'm less certain, Paizo is basically king of the OGL, the 3e engine is theirs forevermore, and I just don't think they'd do anything that they aren't already doing with Pathfinder. 

What I wanna see happen is for the various RPG makers givne the chance to compete for the rights to make DnD, Each one is given a year to create the basic game and then the best one gets to call theirs DnD and is put in charge of finishing the product for release and given the rights to continue the line. 

16 companies enter the arena, 1 leaves bleeding from pen wounds and paper cuts, covered in the shredded mousepads of it's enemies.

rampant wrote:

Should they sell the brand? 

Yes,

To Paizo...?

I'm less certain, Paizo is basically king of the OGL, the 3e engine is theirs forevermore, and I just don't think they'd do anything that they aren't already doing with Pathfinder. 

What I wanna see happen is for the various RPG makers givne the chance to compete for the rights to make DnD, Each one is given a year to create the basic game and then the best one gets to call theirs DnD and is put in charge of finishing the product for release and given the rights to continue the line. 

16 companies enter the arena, 1 leaves bleeding from pen wounds and paper cuts, covered in the shredded mousepads of it's enemies.

lol this. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer