Drawing your Characters?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post

Do you guys ever draw your characters?? I feel like alot of people used to do this but they don't anymore...

You don't have to be a gifted artist to make really cool character portraits, I think. If anyone spends a little thought and time it'll probably look neat.

Anyways, I'm really curious cause I feel like nobody cares about drawing anymore, but in the 90s they were all about it....

community.wizards.com/shamrahil/blog/201...

(couldn't find the html_removed for the poll)
http://fantasticanatomy.wordpress.com/
Oh and post drawings you did of your characterz!!
http://fantasticanatomy.wordpress.com/
First of all I really like your style.  Also thanks for making a thread like this, I've been wondering the same thing.  Being the one in our group whose always drawing things I've ended up making a lot of portraits and such for my party's characters, and when I DM I like to draw some of the more important NPCs as well, so I can better relay the type of character they are.  Here's a few of those:

Davrek, a dwarven brawling fighter:

Puck, a satyr bard:

Raemi, a vryloka assassin:

Jon-Jon, a thoroughly nonconventionaly ThriKreen Shaman:

A Wizardy/Druidy villain from a campaign I ran:

And so I don't stretch out this post any more excessively, I'll make a shameless plug for the rest of my gallery over heeeere:  xatoga.deviantart.com/
Nice work, both of you! Wish I could draw even half that good.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Dood.  Yes, I said dood.  Very nice work on the character drawings!

I think most D&D players are soooooo much better at playing than drawing......  I see DM's as being the one's who sometimes have the artistic ability.

This is all my personal experience, I don't have any data to back up what I'm saying, LOL.

My question is this:  How cool would it be for people who are GREAT at drawing, to draw up their versions of other players characters? 

I don't have my character sheet w/ me, but that would rule!  Have a thread where people can post their characters and then other gamers can draw them up and post them!!!!!!!  I'm like a genius.....

It's been tried before... Somebody shows up on the forum here and does a few character drawings for a person or two and then we never hear from them again. Most people with a decent level of artistic talent usually don't have the time to do free images for others because they're busy working on their own projects or paid commissions.
 (Most people are happy with finding an image online or piecing one together with GIMP or Photoshop, which is the purpose of the What Do YOU Think My Character Looks Like? thread at the top of this forum - posting a description of your character and others posting images they think would be approriate for it, or you posting an image that's close to what you want and having those of us with photoshop skills change them up to better your needs.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

@ Mad-Jack - Good call.  You are correct sir!
I'm sure I'll regret this at some point, but as an aspiring artist-y type who lately hasn't been hit by the creative oozes enough, I wouldn't mind sketching a few quick drawings of other folk's characters if'n ye be willing...

That's if anyone wants some wonky cartoonish drawings of their characters. 
I'd suggest trawling through the last couple of pages of the 'what my character looks like' thread then.  There has been a lack of anyone with the art talent in that thread recently, while requests still pile up.
@Xatoga

How could I pass up an offer for someone to sketch my character?  That would be awesome!

I have been thinking about trying to draw him for a while, but I am not really that artistic.  All I wanted was a sketch, something barebones and rough, and the thrikreen you drew captures the essence of the style I was looking for (it rocks by the way, totally gunslinger bug with a jug).

If you are up for it, here's the bio:

"Vel" Soveliss Mitharian

Eladrin Bard/Swordmage

Uses a Drow stylized Longsword in one hand, nothing in the other (with the exception of either some variety of cheap ale/liqueur or some loaded dice

He is obsessed with Drow culture, history, and strategy, chiefly because he (due to shady historical bits) is planning an assault on the Underdark.

He wears leather armor (very non-eladrin/elfish armor, what you would expect on a roguish human)

He is smarmy, quick to anger and insult (at which he is truly vicious) and loves to gamble.  He doesn't necessarily love drinking, it just happens to dull the voices of the past in his head.

I would imagine him posed in either a battle scene looking smarmy and rogue-like with his one longsword and patchy armor, or in a tavern playing dice, and maybe cheating, and probably not well, due to the drinking.

Thanks!

There's only one realistic way to fulfil your wishes;

Try.
Then again.
Then again.
Then again.

Practice makes better than average ;) 

Try.
Then again.
Then again.
Then again.

I agree with the sentament, but not that last statement. Some people, such as a freinds of mine, are born with a tallent for drawing. they start out better than average. However, your point is very valid, as without lots of practice even these above average people would never reach the professional level of skill.
Been a long while since i last drawed something.

This is a character that has matured with me, meaning that for some reasons when i was bored, i'd imagined this character adventures.

This character has changed in the course of decades, but it stayed fundamentally the same.

A Dark Anti-Hero, Influenced by Dark Vador, Raziel( LoK: SR), Dante( DMC) Guts( Berserk)and many other things.

He is a skilled swordsman, using dark powers to enhance his abilities and also unleashing Inferno, lost an eye and an arm due to tragic circumstances, he gain substitutes in the form of magical prosthetics, wich he gains after making a pact with a Dark Divinity/Angel/Devil ( also changed through the years) to exact revenge on those who left him in this sorry state and half dead..

And now i brought this character to life through DnD, using a Revenant/Tiefling, Ironwrought, Infernal Hexblade, with a Gauntlet axe for the prosthetic arm and Helm of the 7 deaths for the eye.

I draw all of my characters and a few NPC’s as well.

My favorite characters are the following:

Simur, my first character ever. 2E half drow/half wild elf ranger predating someone named Drizzt…

“Bloody Marry” (Marianne von Rittersblut) in her red dragon hide armor – the ultimate fighter!

Panartias a Jack of all trades character. 2E dual class (human) fighter 9, thief 13, wizard 10.

There are more pictures in the gallery on my profile…

Panartias, ladies-man and Jack of all trades about his professions:

"Once, I was a fighter -

to conquer the heart of a beautiful lady.

Then I became a thief -

- to steal myself a kiss from her lips.

And finally, I became a mage -

- to enchant her face with a smile."

Some more pictures from me:

This is an eladrin ranger with a fey-companion

And this cheeky elf is Lizinthalara dal Nualdor

"Once, I was a fighter -

Then I became a thief -

I've always been seriously frustrated that i can't draw what i think, cause i don't think looking online lets me find exactly MY characters (same with minis). 

I'm also on the verge of a nearly 4 month long vacation, so maybe it's time to start practicing :b  
This is a pretty cool thread.  Let's keep it going!

@Panartias: That eladrin ranger's really amazing.  Great art!

Here's a few peices of my own, starting with my elven ranger / druid (with his hawk beast companion) - 

A WWI-esque sqad of elves going over the trenches - 

A mad experimenter creating demonspawn:

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do learn are inspired to do the same. Warning: I am a compulsive homebrewer / houseruler. Show me any rule or design, and I will probably be trying to modify it, elaborate upon it, or improve it in some way.
This is a pretty cool thread.  Let's keep it going!

@Panartias: That eladrin ranger's really amazing.  Great art!

I’m glad you like it! Usually I don’t bother with background in character – pictures but it seems it’s worth it sometimes…

You have a pretty impressive gallery of your own, shadowguildmaster - I like a lot of your pieces especially the colored elf ranger and the group fight scene Smile.

"Once, I was a fighter -

Then I became a thief -

Try.
Then again.
Then again.
Then again.

I agree with the sentament, but not that last statement. Some people, such as a freinds of mine, are born with a talent for drawing. they start out better than average. However, your point is very valid, as without lots of practice even these above average people would never reach the professional level of skill.

Well, I certainly hope that what you say is true. Myself, I studied Games Development at college, hoping to go into 3D Modelling but finding that I much more enjoyed creating Concept Art and I was a lot better at it. Put simply, I started drawing at 18 and at 19, I hope to be able to work as a professional concept art in the future. To further my skills, I was providing artwork to one of the forum games around here, or I was attempting to.

Am I naturally talented? Not in the slightest.

However, my own personal definition of talent is where a particular individual begins their journey, not how far they can go. 

Here, I'll shamelessly drop in my Deviantart profile: 
ascendedjames.deviantart.com/
It's clear that I'm lacking in both terms of quality and quantity in my artwork.

To get somewhat back on topic, I have attempted to draw my characters before. However, my first and currently only "serious" D&D character was a Dragonborn Paladin, and I found those hard to draw. I've yet to manage a drawing of the character I would deem of good enough quality to display on DA. However, I will keep attempting both the character and drawing in general until my skills are professional.

I'm not talented, I'm just stubborn ;) 

This is a test post to see, if it is possible to insert pictures from our galleries again. As this thread shows, the old links to our gallery-pictures are still broken. But I think it is a hopeful sign, that the option to upload pictures to our galleries exists again, even if it doesn’t work at the moment.

Now for the test: this is Tarkas Grumbarts (Greybeard) a venerable dwarven engineer and high priest.

Edit: This picture was uploaded direcly from my computer, because the option to link to your gallery doesn't seem to exsist at the moment...

"Once, I was a fighter -

Then I became a thief -

I just fixed the broken links to my gallery by editing my old posts and replacing the old links with new ones.

"Once, I was a fighter -

Then I became a thief -

With my minor artistic abilities, sometimes I do this just for fun.

this is Leeky-Weeky-T'chya-Cheeky, a Thri-Kreen hunter. He was a fun character to play because he was super tall and awkward, and Common was definitely NOT his first language and he was pretty terrible at it. So no matter how complex his real feelings on a situation were, he could only really communicate his ideas in their simplest form. Also small children loved using him as a jungle gym.

Sorcerers were just made for silly outfits.

EDIT:

@Shamrahil: wow your style is wonderful. The asymmetry is really fun.

Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA